TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 5381 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The drivers constant bitching about the 2009+ ruleset was what brought about the 2017 wider cars with high downforce that has brought us nothing but Dirty air....

So, sadly, they DO listen to drivers :(

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:56 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Of course they do because otherwise divas like #blessed go on their social media and bitch about F1.

He'll still pick up his paycheck though, can't buy that next dumbass outfit to prance around in otherwise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:13 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Fabs wrote:
Drivers are apparantly pushing for refueling

And that’s why we shouldn’t listen to drivers

Can someone explain to me why this was a bad thing

The last time F1 was good in my opinion, was when we had refueling.

F1 started to get shit, when refueling was banned. This could be a coincidence with other things but I feel they're related

A race with three 10 second pitstops surely is better than what we have now which is one (maybe two) 2 second pitstop. More variety, more strategies, more things to go wrong.

I miss catastrophic fires in the pits due to refueling mishaps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:10 am 

Scotty wrote:
Fabs wrote:

What? Are you trolling? Because I really don't understand how F1 was better when there was refueling.

The racing was terrible as you just waited for pitstops for something to happen.

You're an engineer though, so I'll trust you

Last edited by Fabs on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IIRC most of the complaints on refuelling were related to drivers choosing to wait for a pit and undercut rather than pass on track. Given they're mostly doing that now with tire changes, I don't know how refueling would make that worse. I do think refueling hoses should have a degree of failure built into them so we get a bit of danger and spectacle back into the sport.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:47 am 

Refueling was only fun when we had one lap qlf and the grid was mixed up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:56 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Fabs wrote:

Add to that when it was a session with the track drying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 am 

Philthy82 wrote:
IIRC most of the complaints on refuelling were related to drivers choosing to wait for a pit and undercut rather than pass on track. Given they're mostly doing that now with tire changes, I don't know how refueling would make that worse. I do think refueling hoses should have a degree of failure built into them so we get a bit of danger and spectacle back into the sport.

That's because these Pirelli tyres are terrible. If they wouldn't overheat this quickly, drivers wouldn't wait for over or undercuts.
If they would be able to refuel however, they'll just wait until pitstops like in the 90ies and early 00s. I don't see this being a success.

@Scotty Please give me your view.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Fabs wrote:

F1 started to get shit, when refueling was banned. This could be a coincidence with other things but I feel they're related

A race with three 10 second pitstops surely is better than what we have now which is one (maybe two) 2 second pitstop. More variety, more strategies, more things to go wrong.

Jeez, you often say weird things (man, I am so polite by just calling it "weird things"). But refueling did NOT provide better racing than after the ban. F1 already was in a very bad state, with practically no overtaking on track. Like other members above me already said, drivers did not make an effort to pass on track, they just waited for the pit stops. If you pitted first, you were screwed. You came out heavier and on cold tyres, the other one could push for one more lap in a light car and come out just in front. Race over. This already wasn't honest racing. Pit stops are bad for the sport. Fastest sport in the world, and it is decided by how long they are standing still.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Fabs wrote:

I'm up for refuelling if this qualifying return

plus they should make something about equalizing conditions, like the pole position or championship leader must have a slower fuel flow on the hose during pit stops to make another strategies to scramble the field

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

What's the point of refueling if you still have fuel using limits and engines must be saved for the next half dozen races?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Plus with all the advanced simulations nowadays, everyone would probably end up with the same optimal fuel strategy anyway. So I fail to see how it would provide any variability.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That is it. After maybe 1 race, probably not even before then, like the tyres, teams will all converge on the same strategy. There maybe 1 outlier for the season, and like the Austria race the commentators will say 'and you all said F1 was broken how wrong are you'

Now if they removed the fuel flow limit, upped the amount of fuel they could use and lowered the minimum car weight then that might be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:40 am 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Fabs wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

That's because these Pirelli tyres are terrible. If they wouldn't overheat this quickly, drivers wouldn't wait for over or undercuts.
If they would be able to refuel however, they'll just wait until pitstops like in the 90ies and early 00s. I don't see this being a success.

It's not Pirelli's fault and people keep throwing them under the bus for no reason. They can make iron-like tires but FIA asked them to provide the degrading tires to re-create the 2011 Canadian GP drama. That race was an outlier and FIA is stupid enough to think they can artificially replay it every god damn weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am 

Vassago wrote:
Fabs wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

It's not Pirelli's fault and people keep throwing them under the bus for no reason. They can make iron-like tires but FIA asked them to provide the degrading tires to re-create the 2011 Canadian GP drama. That race was an outlier and FIA is stupid enough to think they can artificially replay it every god damn weekend.

It's not their fault that we have degrading tyres, it's their fault however how the degradation happens. Apparantly it's hardly possible to get the tyres up to temperature and if you push them too hard, they overheat and you destroy them.
And this year we have thinner thread tyres which is the reason Mercedes is so good and teams like Ferrari, RBR and especially Haas have problems.

This shows how tyres pretty much decide who becomes world champion and not aerodynamics or whether we'll have refueling or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:52 am 

The lack of refuelling means the tires are overheating early because the cars are too heavy in first place. Like NVirkkula mentioned above though, the engine limit will keep everyone in standby mode no matter whether you lift the refuelling ban or not. Teams will adjust to the new situation and protect the engine pool since it remains the paramount issue. You can only have two free engine changes per season and one of them always happens before or in the middle of the Spa/Monza double-header.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:06 am 

The tyres overheat throughout the race, it's just worse at the start. Doesn't matter really.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Lot of short memories in this thread

Go back and watch those old races from 1994-2009

Everyone on the same strategy (bar an outlier like Ferrari putting Rubens on a 3 stopper just for the lols so they wouldn't have to tell him to stop fighting micheal)
Everyone being more desperate at the start but immediately backing off to conserve their car for the over cut. Then 3 laps of sprinting around the pit stop phase, then backing off and conserving when it was over.
When you have new tyres you're full with fuel and when you are light on fuel, your tyres are used up, so the car is never in a good condition enough to generate great racing.

Lots more processions back then and refueling was one of the main things fans at the time moaned about, along with driver aides and grooved tyres.

Plus it's a needless expense and a needless danger, which in an era of halos and sc during rain, doesn't make sense to suddenly add a danger element

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:29 am 

codename_47 wrote:
Lot of short memories in this thread

Go back and watch those old races from 1994-2009

Everyone on the same strategy (bar an outlier like Ferrari putting Rubens on a 3 stopper just for the lols so they wouldn't have to tell him to stop fighting micheal)
Everyone being more desperate at the start but immediately backing off to conserve their car for the over cut. Then 3 laps of sprinting around the pit stop phase, then backing off and conserving when it was over.
When you have new tyres you're full with fuel and when you are light on fuel, your tyres are used up, so the car is never in a good condition enough to generate great racing.

Lots more processions back then and refueling was one of the main things fans at the time moaned about, along with driver aides and grooved tyres.

Plus it's a needless expense and a needless danger, which in an era of halos and sc during rain, doesn't make sense to suddenly add a danger element

The fact is, something has to change allthough lifting the refuelling ban alone won't fix the issue. It's a short-term deal as to show the critics FIA is doing something. F1 has become so dire nobody cares about the "loud engine noise" that people were rooting for not so long ago. If you have good racing nobody cares how the cars sound. Even nobody give a damn about halo these days either.

Taking the weight off the cars and getting rid of the engine limit is far more important to improve the quality of racing IMO. I've been saying this for a while and don't change my opinion. The refuelling ban is a sideshow but FIA probaby realizes how bad their product is and no PR stunts gonna cover it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:10 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

We're just going to end up in a constant cycle of revisiting old ideas from a rose-tinted past in the hope of recapturing something that was never there to begin with

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 5381 Next