TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2781 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Coldtyre wrote:
aerogi wrote:
Apparently Ferrari and Mercedes didn't wanted to cooperate, which is a real pity.

Agree, but it then gives off a special vibe that the Ferrari/Mercedes teams are so far away in front that they're just that ominous, faceless, emotionless and crushing Villain that always wins in the background while we're mostly following the underdogs. It fits the stories perfectly.

I like the series in general for what it is. It's not a season review nor a documentary, hence why each episode is more about a main theme rather than a chronological order in races.
It's doing a better job at dramatization than most Hollywood movies about racing ever did. Even as a hardcore fan I feel we're still seeing snips of the team managers/drivers' lives that you never get to experience during the season. Pleasantly surprised overall.

I totally disagree, what better story is there to be told than the fight for the win? All you hear is drivers and staff saying I WANT TO WIN. Not seeing anything that unfolds at the front is a real shame.

Some snippets were interesting but I expected a lot more. Those few parts were we saw the frustration of Alonso or Steiner or the feud between Renault and Red Bull were good and interesting, but I think they left out a lot or weren't allowed closer more often..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
they should had called anyone very talented or charismatic to say in the end "I want to win but Mercedes doesn't let us do that" and paint the 3 point star silver arrows as the great villains they are for the sport in general

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
aerogi wrote:
Apparently Ferrari and Mercedes didn't wanted to cooperate, which is a real pity.

Agree, but it then gives off a special vibe that the Ferrari/Mercedes teams are so far away in front that they're just that ominous, faceless, emotionless and crushing Villain that always wins in the background while we're mostly following the underdogs. It fits the stories perfectly.

I like the series in general for what it is. It's not a season review nor a documentary, hence why each episode is more about a main theme rather than a chronological order in races.
It's doing a better job at dramatization than most Hollywood movies about racing ever did. Even as a hardcore fan I feel we're still seeing snips of the team managers/drivers' lives that you never get to experience during the season. Pleasantly surprised overall.

I loved to see Steiner making no effort to hide his dissatisfaction with Grosjean, for example. It's not the best audiovisual stuff you will ever see, but it worked for me as a teaser for the season. It's not a coincidence it's a series of not so long episodes which you can watch in a weekend which was released in the last weekend before the season.

I liked it, not loved it. But one thing struck my attention in a positive manner: They had no fear of showing the bad stuff of F1, even though being a quasi-official material. And by bad stuff I mean:
- The paranoia of team principals;
- Rich guys taking over cash-strapped teams;
- The talented and hardworking youngster who fails to get a seat because he has no money;

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

About the Netflix Story : I watched five or six episodes now. Overall I like it, but I don't like the fake reports from races. Also the battle of Sainz vs Alonso which wasn't a battle was bad. And I didn't like they said that Ricciardo was on for a win in Austria. They never mentioned Max was leading and winning the race.

Really liked the Haas, Williams and Red Bull/Renault story.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They say this point for fastest lap idea is been introduced due to been popular among fans, Yet everywhere i lurk it seems to be something a majority are against.

So I was thinking back to last year where I did some of these F1 fan voice survey things & after doing 3-4 of them I stopped taking part because I felt they were very leading towards getting the answers they wanted rather than getting an accurate representation of my thoughts.

For example there was one asking about sprint races which is an idea I don't like yet I came away feeling like i'd told them I was in favor of them due to the questions been structured in such a way as asking questions based around me been in favor of the idea. There was no 'I don't like the idea' answer.

There was another regarding the points system where there was no answer saying leave it as it is, They were all geared towards expanding beyond 10th place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Point for fastest lap only works in championships were all the teams are pretty much equal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's not gonna change the world, but neither is it a massive deal that's worth getting in a big brew-ha-ha about either

It's there, they're gonna try it. It won't change too much but it'll be a nice thing if even one non-top team in a wet track sneaks a point they wouldn't otherwise have got.

Life will go on...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
but it'll be a nice thing if even one non-top team in a wet track sneaks a point they wouldn't otherwise have got.
It's only available to those who finish in the top 10 so it's not as if it's a potential point to a driver/team (Team gets one as well) who wouldn't have otherwise got one.

I'm just sort of.... :roll: with it.

I just think it's most likely going to end up been a point for the driver highest up who has a gap to the car behind that which allows them to pit for new/soft tyres late in the race & I think getting fastest lap under that scenario isn't deserving of a point. I also don't like the idea of a final race title decider turning into who has fastest lap with teams playing games with the 2nd car to take points away from title rivals.

But, Whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Some (MOST) races need whatever added drama they can get though...

I'm sure we'll be crying out for someone to pit to go for fastest lap during another parade around Barcelona or Russia or something, just to give us something to watch

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
It's only available to those who finish in the top 10 so it's not as if it's a potential point to a driver/team (Team gets one as well) who wouldn't have otherwise got one

What's the point of that? That is even dumber than I imagined. If someone that is 13th saves a new set of boots till the end to do a banzai lap then that is perfectly fine by me. Is the reason because they don't want the lower teams "stealing" a point from the title contenders?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Quote:
It's only available to those who finish in the top 10 so it's not as if it's a potential point to a driver/team (Team gets one as well) who wouldn't have otherwise got one

What's the point of that? That is even dumber than I imagined. If someone that is 13th saves a new set of boots till the end to do a banzai lap then that is perfectly fine by me. Is the reason because they don't want the lower teams "stealing" a point from the title contenders?
I think it's more to prevent the sort of thing that happened in Formula E a few years ago where in the final race the 2 title contenders crashed out at turn 1 & after sitting in the pits for something like 15 laps came back out & turned the race into a time trial between the 2 of them as Buemi needed fastest lap to be series champion.

Was all a bit of a farce as it resulted in a situation where the actual race involving everyone else didn't matter & wasn't focused on because it was all about 2 guys who were many laps down trying to stay out of everyone's way as they tried to find a gap to go for fastest lap in-between periods of sitting in the pits.

It can be argued that it led to the right guy winning the title (As Di Grassi had pretty much just driven into Buemi at the start), But the whole thing was still a farce & led to the series changing it so only the top 10 could score it from the next season.

It's the same in F2 as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:10 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Wow, It's so long ago I forgot it led to that cock-end Buemi winning something

Ok, I hate it now

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Looking back at the fastest laps from last year, I can only count 5 or 6 out of 20 races where the race winner got the fastest lap. Bottas got the most then Ricciardo last year.

This could have been because the race leader did not have to do that extra effort for the fastest lap, he was already comfortable in the lead and had the max points in the bag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I'm fine with this point if it makes the drivers prone to more errors and ultimately crashing like we used to see back in the day

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Omega wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Looking back at the fastest laps from last year, I can only count 5 or 6 out of 20 races where the race winner got the fastest lap. Bottas got the most then Ricciardo last year.

This could have been because the race leader did not have to do that extra effort for the fastest lap, he was already comfortable in the lead and had the max points in the bag.

But the extra pressure of being leader will make them resist going for fastest lap. Don't want to risk 25 points for 1 bonus point.

But you can't compare it because last year having the fastest lap meant nothing except some honours, this year some might do the extra effort. I already saw an article where someone calculated that it would have given a different champion in 2007 and 2008, which is rubbish because the drivers would have done that extra effort to have fastest lap, which they didn't do at that time. You can't expect that the same people would have had the fastest lap last year, if it was worth a point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Omega wrote:
Scotty wrote:

But the extra pressure of being leader will make them resist going for fastest lap. Don't want to risk 25 points for 1 bonus point.

That radio of Verstappen in Mexico last year, leading the race in the final stint - "OMFG PURPLE SECTOR PLZ DONT PUSH"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

EAS wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Omega wrote:

That radio of Verstappen in Mexico last year, leading the race in the final stint - "OMFG PURPLE SECTOR PLZ DONT PUSH"

I think they were telling him to not push at that point cause they wernt sure if the car was going to make it since Daniel's car had already given up that day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Charlie Whiting has passed away. Suffered a pulmonary embolism in Australia.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/form ... s/4352058/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a shock. Terrible way to start off the season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow that's really shocking and upsetting news completely out of the blue :( Such an integral part of the sport.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2781 Next