TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:09 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Scott Pruett was shaking down the car for this weeks upcoming race at New Jersey raceway. He lost control of the car and crashed the car into a barrier at the start of pit lane. The car was cut into two Peices and when rescure arrived he was unconsciousnes. After they loaded him in to the Ambulance we started to awake complaining of neck and back pain.

He will stay in the hospital overnight and the team have already withdrawn from this weeks race.

The car was a total loss.

Speed TV.com
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-pruett-injured-in-crash/

I hope he is okay and best wishes for recovery...

I wonder if their is video of it, Sounds like a massive hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sounds like a massive crash. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Don't know the track, but crashing into the start of the pitwall is probably one of the worst accidents you can have. Sounds huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Track Map

If they run the track clockwise he must have carried at lot of speed at that point :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is why they have those barrels protecting the pitwall entrance at Watkins Glen. Don't they have anything like that at this track?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

jdh wrote:
Don't know the track, but crashing into the start of the pitwall is probably one of the worst accidents you can have. Sounds huge.

it's probably thé weakest point at any track i imagine. For instance if you'd do that in Monza (highly improbably) it would be the mother of all crashes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
Gaara wrote:
This is why they have those barrels protecting the pitwall entrance at Watkins Glen. Don't they have anything like that at this track?

I think they have.But like Mattzel say, when they run the Track clockwise no Barrel can save you from a massive Hit.

Hopefully some Pictures or even a Amateur Video will pop up soon.

Good to hear he is probably ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mattzel89 wrote:
Track Map

If they run the track clockwise he must have carried at lot of speed at that point :o

Looking at the layout it makes more sense if it's being run counter-clockwise, so he could have lost it on the exit on the final corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That sucks ass. Title race might be a wash but at least it seems he's mostly uninjured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Certainly sounds like a scary ride. The experienced medic reaction time is pathetic given that it occurred in pitlane.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... M-GRANDCUP
Quote:
Pruett's wild ride at New Jersey's new circuit
Racing series GRANDAM
Date 2008-08-28 (Millville, NJ)

By DC Williams - Motorsport.com

PRUETT'S WILD RIDE

Probably like a lot of folks, this reporter's cell phone is powered-up when the airplane's wheels hit the runway. Unlike a lot of folks - okay by me, though - there usually isn't a lot of action just waiting to happen when the power trickles through the receiver.

So, when a usually quiet cell phone started rocking and rolling just after Delta Flight 1006 touched down Thursday in Philadelphia, one couldn't help but know something was up.

Seeking the latest on a situation I hadn't even known had unfolded, colleagues from across the country wanted to know what had happened to Scott Pruett.

"He hit something on pit road and, I hear, really tore the car up," Florida Today's Mark DeCotis said by phone from Melbourne, Fla.

About 40-minutes later at NJMP, I was standing in a cloud of confusion, anger and, later, thankfulness that Pruett was his old self again.

But, we're getting a little ahead of the story.

"I have never been so scared for someone in my life," Mike Shank said.

Shank's been around, as a driver and as an owner. He's won honors doing both and, as a result, has seen a lot of things happen in motorsports.

Brad Frisselle saw it unfold from Kevin Doran's No. 77 Kodak Ford-Dallara pit - the first encountered coming through pit-in.

"A GT car put his left-side tires off coming out of Turn 12 (at the beginning of pit straight) and threw up a huge cloud of dust," Frisselle recounted.

"That spooked another GT car to his right. Then that car did a lane toss and Pruett, probably rolling into full throttle as he came out of the turn for whatever reason, just snapped; his rear end coming out from under him and he just slammed that barrier. He had just gotten perpendicular to the track surface - his rear coming around 90-degrees - when he hit (the metal barrier)."

"It was the hardest hit I've ever seen," said Frisselle, who easily has double the number of motorsport years as those of Shank (with no intended disrespect, Brad).

Pruett's No. 01 TELMEX Lexus-Riley (Riley No. 010, for those keeping tabs), was like a piece of wood on the wrong end of a karate kick.

Acting as a fulcrum, the metal barrier made contact just behind the driver's compartment but forward of the engine compartment and split the car in two, perpendicular to a centerline running from the car's front to rear.

Note that the car didn't bend; it broke.

When the driver compartment stopped, it sat partially in Doran's pit box and only a few feet away from Stevenson Motorsports' No. 57 Pontiac GTO.R - under which a mechanic was working.

(Note: this writer hasn't spoken with the mechanic, but understands he was shaken by the incident.)

"I didn't think twice about it," Doran said, "I just started hauling ass for what was left of the driver's compartment. John Maddox (Roush Yates Ford Engines' point man and former Emergency Medical Technician, to boot) was right with me."

"Scott was kind of rolling his head back and forth, like he was trying to hold it up straight but couldn't, so I reached through the back (where the engine normally would be found) and held Scott's helmet with my hands on either side of his helmet."

"John, he was an EMT, was reaching inside, helping to stabilize his head and trying to assess Scott."

"Then all of a sudden, the top of Pruett's car just flew off."

It was Shank and one of his crewmen, Ralph Lohr who, between driving one of the team's haulers, fuels the No. 6 MSR Ford-Riley.

Only two pits away, like Doran and Maddox, Shank and Lohr were at full-tilt boogie, heading for Pruett before anyone had figured out what had actually happened.

"We ripped what was left of the top off so we could get at Scott from above," Shank said. "We didn't really even think about it, we just reacted."

With a straight look into Pruett's eyes, "That's when I saw them flutter, roll up into his head, and, I'm telling you, it scared the (crap) out of me."

Noting that an eternity seems to pass in such circumstances, those who observed the scene from beginning to end said it took between five and six minutes for the track's emergency medical personnel to arrive on the scene.

"And they didn't know what they were doing when they arrived," more than one observer opined. "The first thing the guy started doing was unbuckling Pruett's helmet straps. Doran and Maddox flat-out put a stop to that," said another.

By the time other trained personnel - on loan from Daytona International Speedway - arrived, Pruett had regained consciousness and, using his arms as though doing a pull-up on the framework above - even helped lift himself so that a backboard could be placed behind him for an extraction and a trip to the hospital, from which Pruett was later released.

Back in the paddock and dressed in hospital scrubs, Pruett talked about what happened.

"Not much, because it's all pretty fuzzy as to exactly what happened insofar as what really started the accident. After all, I was in a cloud of dust when it started," Pruett said.

"But I can remember seeing the (barrier) coming straight at me, or, shall I say, when I was heading straight for it."

At each race, a Shank team member is responsible for measuring DP speeds at various points on the track. On Thursday, he was "shooting" the cars as they transitioned from Turn-12 to the front straight.

"He was doing 148 (mph) when he hit," Shank said.

The sun hadn't yet faded as the Telmex transporter undertook a run to Ganassi's Indianapolis shop, where a Riley roller - last used by the No. 02 Target/Telmex team in the 2008 Rolex 24 at Daytona - silently waited for its chance to shine in Sunday's race with Pruett and teammate Memo Rojas, who are fighting for a championship that Pruett has wanted since 2004 - the year he won his last DP championship.

"Nope, I'm not gonna let this one slip away," he said.

More questions than answers remain, presently. They'll be thrashed out over the next few days.

Later.
DC Williams, exclusively for Motorsport.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Damn, car splitt in half 8O

Oh and you might want to change the topic title, little typo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
those who observed the scene from beginning to end said it took between five and six minutes for the track's emergency medical personnel to arrive on the scene

disgraceful considering where the car ended up (unless there was a valid reason, like them being on the other side of the track).

Those cars are designed to split behind the rear bulkhead in shunts like that, it's not really a flaw, more a design feature, get's rid of a lot of energy and is good so long as the cockpit section stays together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

garbo wrote:
"A GT car put his left-side tires off coming out of Turn 12 (at the beginning of pit straight) and threw up a huge cloud of dust," Frisselle recounted.

Track must run clockwise then. Sounds like a huge crash :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nasty sounding crash for Scooter. Its appaling to see the recovery people took a long time to get to a crash which had happened in the pit lane. They must do something to change this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Absolutely pitiful response time. Shameful to say the least. Does GrandAm have a dedicated safety crew for the races (maybe not practices since these guys were borrowed from Daytona it seems) like the ALMS and Indycar or are the safety guys picked by random draw from the camp grounds like NASCAR?

Glad to read Scott's more or less OK. Are there any pics of the car/barrier? Since it's practice video might be too much to ask for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you still ventured onto the original site, you'd see the remains of the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow, sounds like a nasty crash. I'm glad that Scott Pruett is already out of the hospital. It could have been a lot worse. I think 5-6 minutes response time by a rescue crew is lowsy but the track is brand new and I expect that it will be better once the actual race weekend rolls around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
If you still ventured onto the original site, you'd see the remains of the car.

The hell with that. I all ready changed all my bookmarks over to this one. I'll find one elsewhere eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:10 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Here you are:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:16 pm 
Bearing in mind it's supposed to fall apart and some of that would've been cut away to get him out, that's a hell of a lot of damage