TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 637 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

SPAM have told Daly 'no thanks'.

https://racer.com/2019/10/02/daly-out-o ... n-sp-ride/

Pruett on his podcast has intimated that Red Bull will decide on O'Ward for 2020 (had a very good weekend in Super Formula last week which may help) by the end of this month, and McLaren are waiting to see if he's available.

Pruett also added credence to the Ericsson-Ganassi rumour.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
SPAM have told Daly 'no thanks'.

https://racer.com/2019/10/02/daly-out-o ... n-sp-ride/

Pruett on his podcast has intimated that Red Bull will decide on O'Ward for 2020 (had a very good weekend in Super Formula last week which may help) by the end of this month, and McLaren are waiting to see if he's available.

Pruett also added credence to the Ericsson-Ganassi rumour.

Not surprising regarding Daly. He made an unforgivable error at Laguna with an ill-advised passing attempt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
I think the aeroscreen looks pretty good from the side but then looks pretty shit when viewing it from the front.

Having looked at various pictures, it's this. From every angle other than dead on front it looks fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
I hate everything

You'll hate what's put in front of you and like it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the problem with it when viewed from the front is that because it's something that has basically just been stuck onto an existing chassis design it just ends up looking a bit bulky and doesn't blend into the rest of the car so well, Especially given how high it is.

TBH I think that is something that will be fixed with the next car design as they will be able to better integrate it into the overall shape of the car so it blends in better. We'll just have to put up with a few years of it looking a bit odd from the front until then which I don't think is too big of an issue.

But like with the Halo in F1, It's purpose is safety & if it works as intended the looks should be less important.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:41 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

It does seem to stand out a lot more than the halo, which is ironic given that the reason I and others preferred to the aeroscreen originally is that it was supposed to stand out a lot less and look more like a natural part of the car. Now I barely notice the halo, but I can't imagine I'll be able to not-notice the aeroscreen, mainly because of the glare from the screen part. I think it'll take a lot more getting used to

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a lot bigger than I was expecting. Maybe it has to be to completely protect the driver.

I think that the idea is better than the halo. Halo has definitely helped drivers in recent accidents, but I still feel that it has weak areas - it has two large gaps either side that can easily let debris in, and I also think it's easily possible for a large piece of debris to shatter against the halo and fire smaller shards into the cockpit (not sure if this has actually happened yet, so maybe the design is better than I give it credit for). Either way, the aeroscreen would not have these problems.

As StefMeister says, hopefully it will blend into the next car design a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tetra Pak have dumped several bags of kronor at Floyd's doorstep and Ericsson has the drive.

https://racer.com/2019/10/08/ericsson-c ... r-in-2020/

Possibly the most intriguing bit of the article;

Quote:
Efforts to field a fourth entry for 2019 Indy Lights champion Oliver Askew continue to be explored.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ganassi expanding to three cars next year, pulling in Ericsson.

https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ ... 0/4554900/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Wooooo more cars! :thumbsup: :metal:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

A quick count.

Confirmed full-time cars so far;

3 Ganassi
3 Penske
5 Andretti
2 SPAM
2 ECR
2 Carlin
2 Foyt
2 DCR
2 RLLR

Which would be 23.

Unconfirmed full-time cars so far;

1 RLLR
1 MSR

(25 if they both come off)

Add in Dragonspeed (who will be back but not doing a full schedule), the 4th Ganassi car and Juncos (if someone pays for it) and you may have 28 cars at at least some non-Indy rounds next season.

(without even considering the potential scenario of Hinchtown Racing)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wonder who will drive for McLaren now

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

AutoNation named title sponsor of COTA's IndyCar race weekend

Richmond held their first tire test paired with the aeroscreen test for short ovals this afternoon

Rinus testing with ECR at Mid-O again

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Late to the party, but I'm disappointed that the aeroscreen hides the driver even more than the HALO, due to reflections. It's like prototypes or tin-tops now, you can't see the driver's head and hands :( Open-cockpit racing is soon just going to become a thing of the past in any series past karting, I'm slowly getting used to it.

One thing though compared to the HALO: how do you crawl out of an overturned car?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coldtyre wrote:
One thing though compared to the HALO: how do you crawl out of an overturned car?

Just don't flip the damn thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:23 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Chris A wrote:
Coldtyre wrote:

Yeah that's not gonna fly (heh) when they get to Indy and the other ovals where that's more likely

Indycar usually has a couple of flips a year, it's not an IF thing, it's a when...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:

Same way you do with a car with a Halo on, you don't.

I'll be unpopular with this opinion but motor sport is meant to be dangerous, it's what sparks people's interest, the allure of seeing guys and girls putting their lives on the line, it drives admiration, respect etc. to quote someone very famous who I won't name drop here, "if it was safe, every fucker would do it", it's what separates the men from the boys as the saying goes.

As we have seen this year, fixing rare problems in the name of innovation and progress, often doesn't fix anything at all and gives people a false sense of security, so when reality does hit, it does so in the most ironic of ways possible.

This aeroscreen will have the same effect, we'll likely see even more aggressive racing on the ovals, Talladega level of stupidity with the drivers having the false sense that the screen will save them, that'll be all dandy until we end up with a car in the crowd or something stupid like that because they drivers had no fear. Fear breeds respect, if you have no fear, you have no respect.

Last edited by Ian-S on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IndyCar has posted a Q&A summary on the new haloscreen, based on various questions raised by fans
https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/10/10 ... -Questions
Quote:
In order to keep fans apprised of the developments, INDYCAR has provided answers to nine common questions.

Question: Does the Aeroscreen affect drag and top speeds?
Answer: Will Power and Scott Dixon posted laps in excess of 225 mph during the initial on-track test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Oct. 2 and did not notice any major differences. Both said it was close to neutral.

Question: Will the Aeroscreen be used exclusively on ovals?
Answer: No. It will be used on all tracks beginning with 2020 NTT IndyCar Series season.

Question: Is driver visibility affected? What about on the banking at ovals?
Answer: Power and Dixon reported no issues with visibility whatsoever at IMS while Dixon and Josef Newgarden reported none during the Oct. 15 test at Richmond. All drivers were extremely pleased from a visibility standpoint.

Question: Are temperatures warmer in the cockpit?
Answer: No. Despite testing at IMS in 90-degree heat, drivers reported no issues. The Aeroscreen design also has a forced air-cooling system.

Question: What if the Aeroscreen gets dirty?
Answer: The Aeroscreen comes with tear-offs like you see on a driver’s visor. Just remove the tear-off in the pits for a clean line of sight.

Question: What if it rains?
Answer: Rain will roll off the Aeroscreen similar to how it beads off the driver’s face shield currently. However, the Aeroscreen will not only help rain hitting directly on the driver’s face shield but also has the ability to add a coating product to help the rain bead up. It also will be equipped with an anti-fogging device, which should prove helpful to the drivers in rainy conditions. During the Oct. 7 test at the Barber Motorsports Park permanent road course in Birmingham, Ala., Simon Pagenaud and Ryan Hunter-Reay endured rain conditions during a portion of the day. Both drivers came away impressed with the performance of the Aeroscreen in the rain.

Question: Will the Aeroscreen be refined in the future?
Answer: As this project progresses, there will be various refinements to the design as seen fit by the engineers and feedback from the drivers and the teams. Additionally, the aesthetics will be improved as teams are able to incorporate the Aeroscreen into their livery designs.

Question: Does it slow down driver extraction in the event of a car overturning or a serious incident?
Answer: The AMR INDYCAR Safety Team has been involved with the Aeroscreen project since it was in the conceptual stages. They have had input as well as practiced extractions on the prototype and now on the actual car. It should not slow down driver extraction and there also is a quick process in place to remove the Aeroscreen piece if needed for an extraction.

Question: What’s the next step in testing the Aeroscreen?
Answer: Scott Dixon and Josef Newgarden just completed a test Oct. 15 on Richmond Raceway’s 0.75-mile oval. The Aeroscreen has now been tested on a superspeedway (IMS), permanent road course (Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Ala.) and a short oval. The next test is Nov. 5 at Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway with James Hinchcliffe and Sebastien Bourdais. That layout will help simulate a street course. The engineers will continue to collect data on the Aeroscreen's performance along with feedback from the drivers and teams to make refinements where needed to the design or accessories

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Coldtyre wrote:

Yeah that's not gonna fly (heh) when they get to Indy and the other ovals where that's more likely

Indycar usually has a couple of flips a year, it's not an IF thing, it's a when...

The interview posted above seems to answer this partially, Indycar's extraction philosophy mostly relies on prompt action by the safety team, including for injury-free incidents, rather than through pilot action like it's more the culture in Europe (although that is changing as well). To be fair they're not wrong, and even more so on ovals, but still it can take a lot of time to reach someone who has flipped down an embankment at Road America or something so the theoretical ability to crawl out like was demonstrated with the HALO would be a relief to have.

@
Ian-S
: I share the overall feeling, but I have since given up on the idea that society's values and attitude towards risk would ever revert back to what we have grown up seeing. That spirit is still alive, just in more niche activities.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

O'Ward is a free agent again and is headed in the direction of SPAM.

https://racer.com/2019/10/18/oward-spli ... car-frame/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 637 Next