TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

From that shot the damn thing does look like a jet fighter with wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wonder how difficult it would be for teams to manage the equipment itself. Can a canopy be easily swapped out when needed? Once it gets all scuffed and scratched up, can it be easily restored/cleaned up?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Chris A wrote:
I wonder how difficult it would be for teams to manage the equipment itself. Can a canopy be easily swapped out when needed? Once it gets all scuffed and scratched up, can it be easily restored/cleaned up?

I guess they are treated with those nanotubes that allow higher resistance to scratching and debris damage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 pm 

Reportedly the material being considered for the windscreens is PPG Opticor. Here's the technical specs. Compared to standard acrylic values the strength indicators (like "tension strength" and "compression strength") seem very good, although it's obviously not the level of strong metals.

I honestly doubt that the windscreen could take a full chassis load. But would it need to? My "armchair quarterback" guess is that in most cases the rollbar would be the primary bearer of the load (as it is now), and the material needs to be just strong enough to do things like, say, guide a car towards the rollbar in a Herta style accident. There are not going to be too many cases where the windscreen will actually need to carry the full load of a car.

I'm sure that they will be testing any worst case scenario they can think of though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If it's the stuff airliner cockpit Windows is made from, then it may well take the weight of a car if the fudged UK DFT "we cannot let you see the results because we fixed them and derr terrorism" drone test results are anything to go by, in these they had to replace all the carbon fibre and plastic parts of the drone with metal because they were destroyed by the canon before even reaching the airliner, then when they did, it eventually calculated out that the average size drone would need to be over 11kg in weight and travelling at over 380 knots (or the airliner travelling at over 380 knots and the drone be stationary) before it would even crack the screen, let alone break it, which they couldn't even reliably calculate.

As with most things the failure will be at the weakest point, which may well be the bolts holding it onto the cockpit and not the screen itself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
If it's the stuff airliner cockpit Windows is made from, then it may well take the weight of a car if the fudged UK DFT "we cannot let you see the results because we fixed them and derr terrorism" drone test results are anything to go by, in these they had to replace all the carbon fibre and plastic parts of the drone with metal because they were destroyed by the canon before even reaching the airliner, then when they did, it eventually calculated out that the average size drone would need to be over 11kg in weight and travelling at over 380 knots (or the airliner travelling at over 380 knots and the drone be stationary) before it would even crack the screen, let alone break it, which they couldn't even reliably calculate.

As with most things the failure will be at the weakest point, which may well be the bolts holding it onto the cockpit and not the screen itself.

Looking at the very odd but clearly specific curvature on that, I'd say it is designed to pass the load exactly as you say. I suspect they would mandate the strength of the attachment to the chassis like the FIA have done, to be sure those points aren't very weak.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Looking at the very odd but clearly specific curvature on that, I'd say it is designed to pass the load exactly as you say. I suspect they would mandate the strength of the attachment to the chassis like the FIA have done, to be sure those points aren't very weak.

The curvature is for another reason, fairly early on they discovered that the only way to avoid the view being warped the screen had to be a constant radius, because of this, it then governs the shape. It's why glasses have a fixed curvature to them, same for car windscreens etc. Unlike the FIA Indycar are actually doing proper research on this.