TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Nah, it's the design of the cars that is to blame. Back in the CART days the cars were effectively chiselled off bricks with wings attached, meaning the only downforce produced was that from the wings.

Around the turn of the century designers started re-thinking aero and discovered if you shaped the entire car like a plane wing, you create a low pressure zone under the car which sucks it to the ground (let's call this modern day ground effects) the downside of that as we all know is that it's a very thin line between taking advantage of that low pressure zone to "suck" it down, and loosing control of the area and it producing lift and going into an aerodynamic stall like a lot of these cars have done recently. The flat bottom doesn't really come into it (lost of people point to this as a cause) because the aerodynamics are being produced from the top, not the bottom, because the car is shaped like a wing, when equal air goes both over the car and under it, you go for a nice flight solely from the cars shape, the wings cannot counteract that level of lift.

If you look at an Indycar compared to an old CART car from a side on view you'll see what I mean, this years car is an improvement, the sidepods are flatter and don't appear to produce as much downforce, but compare that to the old CART car that has a perfectly flat top to the sidepods, then we'll, there's your answer.

Are you thinking of IRL maybe? The regulations varied, but CART never had flat floors and always had some level of ground effects. A feature that Motorsport magazine ran on the Reynard 97i (which is a good read) mentions how the height of the tunnels and the freedom aft of the rear wheel centreline was reduced, but some late 90s/early 00s shots show that it wasn't a fundamental change:

Unspecified Lola, looks less sophisticated than the below example so probably late 90s:

2001 Lola:
ImageImage

When the DP01 was launched, they made a big thing about how the height of the tunnels was increased again:

IMHO, the reliance on underbody aero compared to IRL is a key part of why Champ Cars never seemed as prone to taking off. IRL (at least late in the life of the series) had similar tunnels, but much shallower and accompanied by a much bigger tray area on a much bigger floor:

I can't find any earlier pictures, but I'm pretty sure they didn't change much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yep, for some reason the IRL wanted to do every goddamn thing different to CART (all ovals, naturally aspirated engines, topside aerodynamics instead of ground effect, the list goes on and on)

I used to have a link bookmarked where an aerodynamics engineer explained it in detail, but it's long gone now so let me try to remember the thrust of it

The IRL cars ran round with something called Negative rake.
Basically, they had so much downforce cranked onto them to try to stage-manage those side-by-side finishes they used to crow so much about, that the engineers would raise the front nose as high as they could to try to reduce the drag as much as the could in favour of straight line speed.
That's fine when you're running on your own, but as soon as you get even a gust of wind under there, it has a lot more surface area to pick up and send flying

That's why not only did the superspeedway pack racing, wheel to wheel wrecks happen but also stupid, 120mph accidents like Hornish backflipping on a piece of debris that wouldn't send any other car over at that speed, or that time they nearly launched Mario Andretti over the fence completely, again of a minute piece of debris left from a just crashing car.

It was all a side effect of the stupid amount of downforce the series wanted, because they wanted NASCAR style pack racing without thinking through the consequences.
NASCAR cars can take the hits of bouncing off a wall and each other at 200mph, Indycars cannot.

Thank God the current INDYCAR has reversed that direction, I'd rather watch a dull oval race than bite my fingers through one of their pack racing shitshows again

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schmidt was interviewed by Motorsport.com today
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... 77/?nrt=86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Never seen the Briscoe/Barron Chicagoland accident before. Holy fuck that was violent. Go to 4:58 for slow motion. Everyone seemed so nonchalant about Briscoe's condition. 8O

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Handling major and possibly fatal accidents must be one of the hardest things to do right in commentary, because most of the time it's done so badly. Scott Goodyear there comes off almost like a kindergarten teacher handling the whole thing with kid's gloves, not even hinting at the seriousness of the crash. Mike Joy's been one of the best over the years but lately has started putting on a sort of fake shaky-voice thing for anything even remotely scary looking. The days of Ken Squier knowing each driver's wife or mother's name and telling inspiring anecdotes (or random comparisons, he could go either way) about the driver while we waited for good news seem a very long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:05 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just miss Paul Page. He was so down to earth and real. I'm just glad he was there in 1999.

After 1999, I took a racing break until 2001 because 1999 sucked so much for various reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Handling major and possibly fatal accidents must be one of the hardest things to do right in commentary, because most of the time it's done so badly. Scott Goodyear there comes off almost like a kindergarten teacher handling the whole thing with kid's gloves, not even hinting at the seriousness of the crash. Mike Joy's been one of the best over the years but lately has started putting on a sort of fake shaky-voice thing for anything even remotely scary looking. The days of Ken Squier knowing each driver's wife or mother's name and telling inspiring anecdotes (or random comparisons, he could go either way) about the driver while we waited for good news seem a very long time ago.

Yeah, this sort of thing really shows you who has the communication skills to go with the stream of words. In F1 it's the difference between Murray Walker putting on his calm, measured voice vs. Eddie Jordan telling people that Felipe Massa was fine...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scott Goodyear is a terrible commentator, with any luck NBC won't employ him.

Yes @
gkmotorsport
I was talking about the IRL cars in relation to the flat floors, as @
codename_47
says they seem to want to go in completely the opposite direction of CART, typical bloody mindedness of a trust fund idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What amazes me about that footage is:

- it takes until 4:30 in the video for any of the commentators to express any concern about the well being of any of the drivers involved
- during the Eddie Cheever interview, while the slow-mo replay is on, Eddie says "It could have been a very very bad accident". I'm guessing he hadn't seen the footage before making that statement

They treat the situation as if it is entirely normal.

gkmotorsport wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

Yeah, this sort of thing really shows you who has the communication skills to go with the stream of words. In F1 it's the difference between Murray Walker putting on his calm, measured voice vs. Eddie Jordan telling people that Felipe Massa was fine...

It was just a 'bump on the chin', Eddie had it on good authority that he was fine... :slaphead:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Going back to fences;

Robin Miller wrote:
I called Randy Bernard on Monday because I recalled him meeting with someone about Plexiglas walls. It was Raytheon in 2011, and Randy said the expense would have been astronomical.

https://racer.com/2018/08/22/robin-mill ... ing-hpd/2/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting article I found, speculative and slightly dramatic like a lot of them tend to be, but has some good insight from an orthopedic surgeon as to what the described type of injuries can mean, and also what to interpret (or not) from what we've seen and read so far.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/mo ... 050436002/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
Going back to fences;

Robin Miller wrote:
I called Randy Bernard on Monday because I recalled him meeting with someone about Plexiglas walls. It was Raytheon in 2011, and Randy said the expense would have been astronomical.

https://racer.com/2018/08/22/robin-mill ... ing-hpd/2/

Marshall Pruett mentiones this in his podcats with Leigh Diffey as well. He estimated that a medium size oval would cost around 40 mil or so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

lol, Raytheon. Maybe they could get it installed for free if Raytheon could be the series sponsor.

The IndyCar Imperial Slaughter Series powered by Raytheon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
lol, Raytheon. Maybe they could get it installed for free if Raytheon could be the series sponsor.

All Indycar needs to do is prove aspects of the series can be weaponised for military use and BOOOOM, never ending government funding via Raytheon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Chris A wrote:

All Indycar needs to do is prove aspects of the series can be weaponised for military use and BOOOOM, never ending government funding via Raytheon.

BOOOOM is either highly inappropriate or completely appropriate there :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:53 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Flat bottom cars is a huge contributor to “flying”. It has also made for the ugly car designs we see today. Keep in mind a lot of the looks of these modern cars comes from the officials making all the flat bottoms. Once they made that a rule, the aero designers started to figure out other ways to get the same amount of downforce. On F1 cars the nose went up to allow the air to move under it to get the high speed air to complement the low air pressure under the car to create the air pressure needed. The cars have almost if not the same amount of downforce, but then they became better at sailing when that big ol' flat bottom got rotated and up in the airflow. So, they put the big ass shark fins on the sports cars.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:
Chris A wrote:

BOOOOM is either highly inappropriate or completely appropriate there :lol:

:lol:

It originally said something slightly different, however I altered it to say BOOOOM because of the military context

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:14 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

racer612008 wrote:
Schmidt was interviewed by Motorsport.com today
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... 77/?nrt=86

Quote:
Asked if, should all surgeries and rehab prove successful, he believes Wickens could eventually return to the IndyCar Series, Schmidt said: “I think so, I hope so. I’ve only known Robbie for about a year but he’s the type of guy for whom racing is his life, he’s really enjoying IndyCar, he likes the atmosphere and the quality of the competition. It seems to suit him so well.

“So if he feels he can still be competitive, I have no doubt that he would come back. He’s the type of committed, driven individual who can overcome huge setbacks.”

That's the most important part of the article, Sam Schmidt sees him back in a racecar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
by the extent they're removing grandstands from the recent ovals, soon they'll be able to make tarmac runoffs for oval tracks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Don't give them any more ideas....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next