TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

There were 366 overtakes in this race. Or in other words, about 80% as much as F1 in grand total last year! On a street circuit!

https://wtf1.com/post/there-were-a-massive-366-overtakes-during-the-first-indycar-race-of-the-season/

F1, eat your heart out!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:34 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

that was 110% Indycar

but

who THE FUCK is Rene Binder?

who THE FUCKING FUCK is Max Chilton?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Binder is the one who bind it, Chilton is doing his thing at Max. Every circus needs its clowns. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I HATE the 'I was going for the win' type replies when you do something of that magnitude. I mean, kudos to you for trying but if you fuck up someone's race with your gusto, you should be penalized, simple as that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
There were 366 overtakes in this race. Or in other words, about 80% as much as F1 in grand total last year! On a street circuit!

https://wtf1.com/post/there-were-a-massive-366-overtakes-during-the-first-indycar-race-of-the-season/

F1, eat your heart out!
I just don’t see how they get to that figure.

There was a decent amount of passing but I just don’t see anyway there was that much…. Not unless they were counting starts/restarts, Passing that occurred in the pits, Passing due to cars suffering damage/technical problems etc… & maybe even cars been lapped. F1 doesn't count any of those things towards passing totals.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Please no penalties yet. That's one of the things that made drivers at F1 just drive like a nanny.

Mistakes will happen a lot, but they should be reduced with time, as people get used to the lack of grip. Remember Nascar, the first low downforce race at Kentucky, or later at Darlington? Sooo many self-spin cautions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You've got to penalise the mistake, not the consequence. It was a very small mistake with unfortunate consequences, but that doesn't mean he should automatically get a penalty. These things aren't black and white, like coldtyre said earlier the magnitude of the mistake matters. If he'd coming flying in from miles back, like Dixon, it would be a different story.

Extreme example but I think it works - say a puncture caused Rossi to spin into Wickens, taking him out, do you fine the tyre manufacturer? Of course not, you just accept that sometimes these things happen and move on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He did get penalised, he didn't win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And Wickens was penalised far more though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:56 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

StefMeister wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

F1, eat your heart out!
I just don’t see how they get to that figure.

There was a decent amount of passing but I just don’t see anyway there was that much…. Not unless they were counting starts/restarts, Passing that occurred in the pits, Passing due to cars suffering damage/technical problems etc… & maybe even cars been lapped. F1 doesn't count any of those things towards passing totals.

They must have counted the passes during pitstops, there just isn't any other explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coldtyre wrote:
I get your point, but even without getting caught up in the wording, I still can't say I agree.

I'm not even discussing whether Rossi is at fault here, he 100% is because he lost the back end. The key point here, which you mentioned, is the probability of the move of working. Some divebombs have a high probability of working, others don't. If officials keep penalizing the latter, but not the former, I'm fine with it and that's what overtaking is all about. There's still the word "risk" in "calculated risk". Rossi's mistake is the smallest one you can make while going for a move, so if that is penalized, you'll end up penalizing any attempt that isn't 100% sure. And 100%-sure passes are not racing, they're just glorified multi-lane highway passes, and I don't want the drivers being channeled into only making such moves and never making a daring one because it has a slim possibility of taking the leader out.

The message from the stewards yesterday was clear: race each other at the limit, you can make a small mistake, just don't make a super big one and completely misjudge it. I say it's the perfect recipe for entertaining racing: neither dirty/unprofessional, nor sanitized.

Fair point.

Last edited by westracing01 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And again, quality is oh so much different than quantity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Two points. 1) I'm glad Rossie didn't get an avoidable contact penalty. I get frustrated with how often penalties are thrown around in F1. It feels like drivers are afraid to attempt a pass sometimes because they're so afraid they might get penalized.
2) That was a phenomenal race. For the first time in over a decade, IndyCars actually look cool, slide around under braking and have on-throttle oversteer, and can follow closely in the turns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
Two points. 1) I'm glad Rossie didn't get an avoidable contact penalty. I get frustrated with how often penalties are thrown around in F1. It feels like drivers are afraid to attempt a pass sometimes because they're so afraid they might get penalized.
2) That was a phenomenal race. For the first time in over a decade, IndyCars actually look cool, slide around under braking and have on-throttle oversteer, and can follow closely in the turns.

I agree completely with those two points (despite my initial reaction).

A little drama is good as well. It's gonna be along wait till Phoenix though. We may be in for a classic short oval race there...cautiously optimistic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, those 2 points were what I was also trying to say. On-throttle oversteer is so fun to watch and I really missed that. Also lower downforce for fast turns, up to a point, can increase the sensation of speed, as the car looks more out of control. F1 could have throttle oversteer that but all those throttle mapping made an artificial traction control (a must ban IMO).

And for the decision to punish the race end, well, let them have at it, if we cross some boundaries, then let's take measures, but now, let's just have a good race to watch first.

As for Phoenix, it looked like the new aero pack was just as it was some years ago, before the aero increase. But I might be confusing it with last year test.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15