TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 635 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yup I read that book too, and how he slipped over on hydrolic fluid while running to Alex Zanardi, only to find out later it was blood.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jones to ECR / Scuderia Corsa confirmed
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Edjonesracing/status/1052546732175835136[/tweet]

RACER.com / Robin Miller report after today's testing at IMS
https://racer.com/2018/10/17/drivers-op ... tone-test/

-

speaking of Zanardi, the mini-documentary that the BBC did on him & Monger was pretty decent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Gabriel wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Yeah that's similar, I got told it was obvious he wouldn't survive because
Spoiler:
there was a lot of blood and other "stuff" all over the floor

Pretty much like Gordon Smiley's crash, as it was described by Steve Olvey in his book:

Spoiler:
"While rushing to the car, I noticed small splotches of a peculiar gray substance marking a trail on the asphalt leading up to the driver. When I reached the car, I was shocked to see that Smiley's helmet was gone, along with the top of his skull. He had essentially been scalped by the debris fence. The material on the race track was most of his brain."

I may be remembering wrong but

Spoiler:
didn't Rodney Orr suffer similarly bleak injuries from hitting the catch-fencing in a similar way to Wheldon?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The NASCAR Sportsman crash at Charlotte? well erm yeah, kinda, he was decapitated though iirc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That was Russell Phillips.

Rodney Orr died in a Cup car in practice a few days after Bonnett.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Ian-S wrote:
The NASCAR Sportsman crash at Charlotte? well erm yeah, kinda, he was decapitated though iirc.

it was worse than that

Spoiler:
his upper body was ripped away, they found his hand attached to catchfencing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LucasWheldon wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

it was worse than that

Spoiler:
his upper body was ripped away, they found his hand attached to catchfencing

Yikes, never realised it was that bad...

Spoiler:
I thought that it was just the caution lights that killed him after the catch fencing had sheered away the roof.

Rumour was that Tony Renna had his arm ripped off in his fatal accident.

Trouble is there is nothing better than catch fencing to stop cars from flying into the grandstands.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Ah yes he also hitted caution lights

if read the article for Russell Phillips on wikipedia you get the full detail, I believe it was the worse of its kind in modern motorsports

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

mclaren2008 wrote:
Nobody knew how bad the race would be until they started. There was no group running in practice.

This isn't true.

Everyone knew how those cars raced on tracks like that

People who pointed out it was a disaster waiting to happen were just "Champcar naysayers determined to ruined the new unified series putting on a new marquee event"

Yeahhh....

There were a LOT of concerned voices before that race, the fact it took place against good logic is one of the blackest days in my motorsport fandom, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No McLaren.

https://racer.com/2018/10/19/brown-conf ... e-in-2019/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Ian-S wrote:
RtN wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Is this the story about what was on the floor? I've heard that from someone else, not nice.

Not quite.

Spoiler:
All the fine\walking wounded drivers were sent to the medical centre, so there were 15 drivers in various states of confusion\agitation all crammed in a room. No-one was around to examine them or process them.

Then a member of the medical staff walks in and chivvies the drivers out as they're about to bring Dan in. So the drivers gather their stuff and leave the room. In the rush, PT forgot his helmet, so he turned around and went back in to grab it.

As he's picking his gear up, the other doors swing open and the stretcher with Dan on it is rolled in. PT gets a look at his head and in his own words, it is "smashed flat like a pancake". He then leaves and decides to go straight home.

Yeah that's similar, I got told it was obvious he wouldn't survive because
Spoiler:
there was a lot of blood and other "stuff" all over the floor

I held this post back for few days, but I have to get this out of my system.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely don't buy what Tracy or the "other source" are saying. I know human mind can play tricks and that must have happened on the drivers at that day after that inferno. So they thought they saw something what probably wasn't there. All the evidence we have are those pictures from that day. I remember there was speculations about Dan's helmet and markings on it, but what I saw was a the pattern of the design.

And in the end, what Paul Tracy is saying is very disrespectful for Dan and his family. You don't need to bring that to public. He could have just said that he saw something that he didn't want to see. Every graphic detail added is just sort of egoism where you want to be the guy everyone pays attention to. You can tell that from the "I went back to get my helmet when no one else was there to see what I saw" part. That's the shit you get at kindergarten when someone is telling you a shit story to make them feel special.

Spoiler:
It's a carbon fiber helmet, it does not work the way Tracy describes. If you look at the pictures of Wheldon during the accident, his helmet is very much intact and has its normal shape. Had he been hit that devastating way to the head, those pictures would be way more brutal or his head would not be resting in the normal position at all. Just think about it. That helmet can be run over by a tank. So which would break first? Helmet or human neck? Again, I'm very sorry for saying this, but in my opinion what ever PT is saying is for his own ego-shit without any respect on Dan Wheldon. Head "pancaked" in but helmet absolutely intact? Really? The helmet would not pop back up to its normal shape.

For me that Vegas race was the most traumatic thing I have ever witnessed. And I nearly got killed when a junkie bashed my teeth in and pulled up a knife. And I'm not being a Tracy here, that race was so hyped up, IndyCar was lit that year and in a perfect world, it could have been a great spectacle in racing. I feel like Fontana 2015 was what Vegas 2011 might have been and visa versa. Vegas with Wheldon being the underdog could have been actually a great event, but then a small contact started a butterfly effect that turned in to the worst inferno in racing I've seen live.

What we really need to remember from that day, is that motorsports is dangerous, especially openwheel oval racing, but when it's done right, the risk can be minimized. But there's always risk. Yesterday I was watching hockey game and our local team was shorthanded. Our defense player hit a slapshot to remove the puck from our end, but opposite teams player was on a move to take the puck. He got the puck right on his cheek at over 100 km/h and dropped to the ice, slid on his face for few meters and was motionless for a few seconds, clearly knocked out. Absolutely the worst thing that could happen in hockey these days. The first responders? Our team players. They were the closest people to him so they did what everyone in the arena wanted to do. When the guy came back on his skates from the ice, he got a big round of applause. This is how sports should work in general. We see bad crash, we want to see everyone walk away from it. Unfortunately Vegas 2011 was not one of those races. That's why what Tracy is saying is so off-setting to me. For me he's the guy who would cheer in a hockey game when an opponent gets hit to the face bad by accident - that's what I get from his comment on Dan.

Rest in peace, Lionheart.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not going to get into an argument with you over it but there is no reason to disbelieve what PT said, it's a similar story to what I was told years ago by someone else who was there and also tallies in with the reactions of someone who was filming the race from the RV deck on the backstretch (I'm not sure if that video has ever been posted anywhere recently).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:02 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Ian-S wrote:
I'm not going to get into an argument with you over it but there is no reason to disbelieve what PT said, it's a similar story to what I was told years ago by someone else who was there and also tallies in with the reactions of someone who was filming the race from the RV deck on the backstretch (I'm not sure if that video has ever been posted anywhere recently).

I'm not arguing against anyone either, this is too sensitive topic to get on with it. But for me PT is opportunist and has no shame in this case. He was amazing driver as was DW. Stories are stories and I feel this is a case where someone wants to tell shit like the kids in the sandbox for their own cause. PT wants to have plexi-glass instead of catch fencing and most of us see the benefits. But don't make your dead fellow racer a case example in such vulgar way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, getting off the subject of DW, he wasn't very complimentary of Dario's Mrs was he lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1054355778583384065[/tweet]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Well, getting off the subject of DW, he wasn't very complimentary of Dario's Mrs was he lol

Was anybody?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Was anybody?
I don't even think Dario was...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

FiatFan83 wrote:
kals wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Was anybody?
I don't even think Dario was...

He was. Three times.

Spoiler:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 635 Next