TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015-2016 Formula E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:23 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

coldtyre wrote:
Okay so tickets for Paris have been made available, I just got a couple. It doesn't seem expensive for a racing venues I guess, 22€ for the whole day if you buy before end of March, and 28€ after. Though there are no grandstands, just general admission (standing) in one of the areas highlighted here - I think that near Turn 1 is where you want to be!

Yes indeed, it's not expensive at all.

Can't wait for the event. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"Nissan and BMW in talks to join Formula E grid as early as 2016/17"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... la-e-talks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Moscow might be dropped due the city's delays and they're looking for a quick replacement:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... eplacement

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The second part of that article is so depressing as somone from England.

Formula e is flourishing with such great events in America, France, Germany etc and here in England we're trying to crowd fund a legal challenge to block it for short sighted selfish reasons.
You can use the freaking park for 50 other weeks of the year, eff off with your nimbyism.
Awful portrayal of British closed mindedness on the world stage.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To be fair if you're going to run an event of this kind in a public park, you cannot exclude the public from going into those parts of the park which are not used by the event, which if I understand things correctly, is what f-e did last year, plus the amount of money they did charge for entry, made the event impossible to attend for the locals, so it's no surprise someone's back has been put up.

They have the old backup plan anyway or running the event around the docklands area, which is privately owned, it would probably make a better track too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:06 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I kind of want them to purchase Battersea Park out of spite and prevent those dunderheaded morons from ever being able to use it.

When they first started their campaign they were posting about the polluting engines of the cars around Battersea park before someone quietly whispered into their ears exactly what Formula E was it quickly changed to the disruption and the pollution of the lorries etc.
They don't even know what they're protesting against they just want to be classic NIMBYs

Most people when they hear that a park or public space is closed for an event, be it a music festival, marathon, sports event or whatever, just say "oh well, can't go there this week, I'll come back next week instead"
These people (though I'm keeping to my theory it's just one furious guy with a twitter account-and one with only just over 400 followers in nearly 2 years kinda shows it's not really a huge issue for most people) demand 24/7 access to the park just in case they have a whim to go there that week.
Park's in frickin London fella, just go to another one slightly further away that weekend. Not a massive ballache and maybe the benefits of having a worldwide event on your doorstep will pay for the upkeep of it all year round.

Giant :roll: to all of them.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I understand your frustration (and agree he just sounds like a single NIMBY) but concerts don't close entire parks, we had a big one in our local park last year and they only closed off about half of it, the rest was open for GP use, our park is about half the size of Battersea.

LOL at them moaning about pollution of the racing cars haha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:33 pm 

Ian-S wrote:
I understand your frustration (and agree he just sounds like a single NIMBY) but concerts don't close entire parks, we had a big one in our local park last year and they only closed off about half of it, the rest was open for GP use, our park is about half the size of Battersea.

Racing courses tend to be bigger than concert venues though (think of all the race tracks that host concerts on a *portion* of the grounds. ). Battersea Park at 0.8 square km is pretty small, and the Formula E track is pretty much a circle around the entire perimeter of the park.

To use the Indycar St. Petersburg GP as an example (just because that's where I'm from), while most areas are pretty much accessible right up until race weekend, the garage area (aka the Mahaffey Theater parking garage) is closed for pretty much a week during the event, which can affect concert schedules there. I think the Dali museum in the middle of the course also reduces activities.

It sounds like Battersea Park is closed entirely for a week as well and that's probably because it's small.

In St. Pete, most are fine with the race these days because St. Petersburg gets a nice dose of exposure and business from it. In the past, there was more grumbling, but more on inconvenience reasons... the city is pretty good at working with business and resident concerns IMHO. A 5K run through the course on Friday even takes advantage of the fact that all the streets are walled off.

It's going to be a much tougher deal if (as it sounds like in this case) you have a bunch of people protesting because they don't want this event for more emotion-driven reasons ("keep the park pure", "save the park", etc.). I guess the Chelsea area has no businesses that would benefit from a Formula E race? I guess one side or the other isn't open to compromise in any way? *shrug*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

True, the area Battersea is in is surrounded by council estates, yeah it's being regenerated but it's still a shithole filled mostly with chavs. They'd be better off running it around either the City or Buck house, maybe even just run round Parliament square, up to Speakers Corner past Downing Street then back down the back, it would certainly provide a better backdrop and they could dump the pits in Horse Guards Parade or The Mall.

All those streets are regularly closed for events, most of them were shut for the Marathon on Sunday (although the locals nicked the water, so if it's not tied down, don't expect it to be there at the end of the event).

Actually thinking about it, Blackpool or Brighton would be better, London is just one massive shithole with billionaire's living a stones throw away from the homeless, it's not a very good advert for GB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:27 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
True, the area Battersea is in is surrounded by council estates, yeah it's being regenerated but it's still a shithole filled mostly with chavs. They'd be better off running it around either the City or Buck house, maybe even just run round Parliament square, up to Speakers Corner past Downing Street then back down the back, it would certainly provide a better backdrop and they could dump the pits in Horse Guards Parade or The Mall.

All those streets are regularly closed for events, most of them were shut for the Marathon on Sunday (although the locals nicked the water, so if it's not tied down, don't expect it to be there at the end of the event).

Actually thinking about it, Blackpool or Brighton would be better, London is just one massive shithole with billionaire's living a stones throw away from the homeless, it's not a very good advert for GB.

Coventry could be a good shout, we already have a semi-street race around the ring road...

https://coventrymotofest.com/

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ian-S wrote:

I saw a reply to the water being 'nicked'. Apparently after the marathon the public can come and take the water bottles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

After being the operative word there.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Moscow has been dropped

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

got my ticket for the Berlin today, 42€, grandstand at T2/T3.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

mclaren2008 wrote:
Moscow has been dropped

Shame, there might be a russian driver out of work very soon....

Maybe for next season? ;)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Moscow has been dropped

Shame, there might be a russian driver out of work very soon....

Maybe for next season? ;)

Dunno what you mean. Vitaly Petrov was out of work a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Metzo wrote:
got my ticket for the Berlin today, 42€, grandstand at T2/T3.

Hey, look at Mr Richpants right there. In Paris, we pay 22€ to stand up on flat ground behind fences and billboards.

:p

Ian-S wrote:
plus the amount of money they did charge for entry, made the event impossible to attend for the locals

How much did they charge?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
plus the amount of money they did charge for entry, made the event impossible to attend for the locals

How much did they charge?

IIRC it was £25 per day plus booking fee, so for a typical 2.5 British family you were looking at £75-£100 to stare at the back of a VISA sign.

For most people around there, that's a months food bill (it's easy to forget, or overlook that only a small portion of London is made up of wealthy people, and the other 99% are people living from hand to mouth, or simply under a bridge).

This year they're doing a £15 early bird offer until the end of this month (each day), but I personally still feel this is poor value for money, £10 would be a more realistic figure to throw out there if you want the locals to turn up (although the idea is they don't want them).

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
For most people around there, that's a months food bill (it's easy to forget, or overlook that only a small portion of London is made up of wealthy people, and the other 99% are people living from hand to mouth, or simply under a bridge).

Alright, I was guilty of that, probably because all people I know who went there were finance mofos working in the City. Also, the insane real estate/rents and general pricing over there gives that illusion. It's probably the same for anyone coming to Paris as a tourist and seeing it as glamour and romance all around. It's only partially true.

As a still childless guy, I also forget about those pesky lil brats that are a fixed cost with no income. Tickets seem cheap but if there's no family pack it gets ridiculous indeed. I feel privileged now, thank you very much for the guilt :o

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah Battersea is in Wandsworth and it has three massive housing estates in, plus many smaller ones, I haven't been up there for a few years but when I had to for work I had to drive through the area and it was a case of after dark you closed all windows, locked all doors and didn't stop for anything, they are 'regenerating' the area but in reality all this is doing is evicting the chavs (and rehousing them further out) and building new posh flats that are immediately bought up by Arabs or Chinese and stand empty for years.

My old business partner bought a flat round there for £175k about 8 years ago as hush money for some Hungarian bit of skirt he'd knocked up and she sold it a couple of years ago for nearly £2Mil.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next