It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Vassago wrote:
Gaara wrote:
Luckiest fuck in BTCC

No way? The one guy who claims BTCC is the BEST racing series in the world is upset about something? Just no way! I'm the only guy here who talks negative about BTCC? What happened? :lol:

Name me a motorsport series that doesn't involve luck....

I'll wait....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

codename_47 wrote:
It must be odd being partisan for or against a team so much that a great finish like that leaves people cold...

Either way you look at it, it was high drama and fantastic entertainment.

Yes, there is a dominant team atm, but that's literally why we have these reversed grid and success ballast racing in the first place

This isn't formula 1, if you're a purist, it's not for you. The series will literally throw everything they can at the series to ensure it is entertaining because that way leads to big crowds and high viewing figures on tv, so greater advertising revenue that filters down to the teams and the cycle continues on...

We've had dominant teams before so WSR's performance is nothing new. Hell, we have this format because of the Vauxhall's dominance (with little other competition) nearly 20 years ago.
It's nothing new and rarely lasts more than a couple of seasons, so just be patient and it'll all swap around again

BTCC might be many things, but boring is never one of them

I agree with you, mate. I'm just being pissy because I wanted a different champion this time and it feels like WSR have reversed into it despite having everything in their favour

I don't have any beef with Colin specifically - he's a nice guy, he generally races clean and he's one of the best we've seen in the BTCC in terms of natural talent and racing intelligence. His reaction was amazing today. I don't even care it's WSR specifically either - a few years ago it was Dynamics winning every year and I felt similar. But I dunno, with the way decisions have gone over the last two years and ITV's triumphalism, it just sticks in my throat a bit. The title feels bought, like when Jimmie Johnson used to win the Cup every year because he nailed the Chase every time, or when Schumacher won in 2003 because the FIA forced Michelin's hand and everything fell for him in the last two races. It's just very meh to me. Sensational drama, but for all of it, we got the outcome everyone expected anyway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:32 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

codename_47 wrote:
Vassago wrote:
Gaara wrote:
Luckiest fuck in BTCC

No way? The one guy who claims BTCC is the BEST racing series in the world is upset about something? Just no way! I'm the only guy here who talks negative about BTCC? What happened? :lol:

Name me a motorsport series that doesn't involve luck....

I'll wait....

I don't have to. My agenda on BTCC doesn't change no matter who wins the championship. However Gaara was defending this series like Fort Knox last season so I wonder what made him so upset this year? :mrgreen: You've got your reverse grid crap and BOP to celebrate so what's the matter?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
It must be odd being partisan for or against a team so much that a great finish like that leaves people cold...

Either way you look at it, it was high drama and fantastic entertainment.

Yes, there is a dominant team atm, but that's literally why we have these reversed grid and success ballast racing in the first place

This isn't formula 1, if you're a purist, it's not for you. The series will literally throw everything they can at the series to ensure it is entertaining because that way leads to big crowds and high viewing figures on tv, so greater advertising revenue that filters down to the teams and the cycle continues on...

We've had dominant teams before so WSR's performance is nothing new. Hell, we have this format because of the Vauxhall's dominance (with little other competition) nearly 20 years ago.
It's nothing new and rarely lasts more than a couple of seasons, so just be patient and it'll all swap around again

BTCC might be many things, but boring is never one of them

I agree with you, mate. I'm just being pissy because I wanted a different champion this time and it feels like WSR have reversed into it despite having everything in their favour

I don't have any beef with Colin specifically - he's a nice guy, he generally races clean and he's one of the best we've seen in the BTCC in terms of natural talent and racing intelligence. His reaction was amazing today. I don't even care it's WSR specifically either - a few years ago it was Dynamics winning every year and I felt similar. But I dunno, with the way decisions have gone over the last two years and ITV's triumphalism, it just sticks in my throat a bit. The title feels bought, like when Jimmie Johnson used to win the Cup every year because he nailed the Chase every time, or when Schumacher won in 2003 because the FIA forced Michelin's hand and everything fell for him in the last two races. It's just very meh to me. Sensational drama, but for all of it, we got the outcome everyone expected anyway

I get what you mean, part of my surprise at today was that I didn't really rate as anyone else being in this championship but Turkington (I compare him to Scott Dixon for a reason) and maybe as an outside bet Jordan, but suddenly out of no-where from my point of view Cammish had one hand on it, only for it to swing the other way dramatically within the last 2 laps
I've always treasured individual race drama over the narrative of a season, which is why I don't have much truck with people calling F1 seasons like 2005/6 great seasons when yes, the championship was close and yes, it was nice to see a new winner that wasn't micheal, but the majority of the actual races were downforce laden dirty air parades unless it rained or a random SC showed up), and the BTCC gives us race drama in spades time after time

I wouldn't be surprised now if Turkington thinks he's proved himself enough in the BTCC and maybe tries to follow Thompson, Shedden and whoever else and run around mid-pack in the WTCC instead.

And I really hope that's not the last we see of Jordan too, surely his early announcement about potentially being out of the BTCC due to Pirtek leaving him gave him enough time to start the hunt for a new sponsor...right? :?

(Funnily enough I met "Mr Pirtek" last week at Birmingham, he races a "MASCAR" (American Cup Car) on the ovals and I jokingly told him to give Jordan some more money for another season. He took it well enough but said he's just getting out of it all now...didn't help I kept calling his livery the "Andrew Jordan Tribute" even though it was his company on his own car :lol: )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm 

Gaara wrote:
:roll:

You've run out of arguments this season very fast indeed unlike last year. Nothing left but emojis? :wave:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:39 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
I've always treasured individual race drama over the narrative of a season, which is why I don't have much truck with people calling F1 seasons like 2005/6 great seasons when yes, the championship was close and yes, it was nice to see a new winner that wasn't micheal, but the majority of the actual races were downforce laden dirty air parades unless it rained or a random SC showed up), and the BTCC gives us race drama in spades time after time

See, I've always been about narratives - that's what engages me. I'm rewatching 2010 race-by-race at the moment (I'm on Monza tonight) and most of the races were pretty dull in isolation, but the championship battle was intense, performance varied circuit to circuit, there were some great rivalries, lots of subplots, and some big dramatic moments. It's fun to watch it back (and flick through old TBK threads to remind myself what people thought at the time as well!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Hurry back soon, BTCC. You truly are the best of all the motorsports.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say but I'm on board with this 100%.

As for Vassago I recommend everyone get reacquainted with the "Add Foe" button like I just have. I've got better things to do than read troll posts in the one forum that's relatively free of trolls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:32 am 

Philthy82 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Hurry back soon, BTCC. You truly are the best of all the motorsports.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say but I'm on board with this 100%.

As for Vassago I recommend everyone get reacquainted with the "Add Foe" button like I just have. I've got better things to do than read troll posts in the one forum that's relatively free of trolls.

So everyone can talk crap about F1 but anyone who dares to say a bad word about BTCC is a troll? :roll: I've stayed away from this thread all season but Matt fuckin' Neal getting a penalty to blow the championship away made my day. How many BTCC fans really want to see both Neal & Plato still in the series? I feel like Neal was there when BTCC was still on Eurosport (because Plato sure was already).

And I'm always against BOP & reverse grid shit regardless of the series. This is video game gimmick for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

watching the highlights from yesterday now (couldn't find any streams to watch live), as always crazy racing :flag:

damn I wish BTCC had better coverage over here (2 channels broadcasting delayed now with CBSSN & MavTV as SBS Speedweek is a complete simulcast over here now - watched Oulton Park this AM)

speaking of Oulton Park, I guess I wasn't the only one with MavTV on the TV this AM :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Matt Neal also replied and offered Dale an opportunity to drive one of his cars. That I would like to see.

Talking of Matt Neal, the symmetry (or just coincidence) of his involvement in the championship finale between 2009 and 2019 can't be overlooked. On both occasions he attempted to play a crucial role to benefit his team mate in an attempt to foil Turkington. On both occasions he made significant contact with the WSR 3 Series. On both occasions he failed and made himself look the worse. On both occasions Jason Plato won the third race in a GM car.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:09 am 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Quite the coincidence, except Vauxhall isn't GM anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

damn, a lot of mixed emotions with this one. thought colin would have it easy but once i saw dynamics finish 1-2 in the first race, i figured we were in for something more and wow, btcc did not disappoint. still gutted for cammish, so close to the championship until the very end.
jordan probably ran the strongest through the year. despite having 6 finishes outside points (twice as much as the other two), he was right there all along too