Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Gow has often said how he doesn't see the appeal of live tv coverage as it can detract attendance from the local market especially if the weather is questionable, well he said that a few years ago anyway, dunno if he's changed his mind.

Seems like pretty dodgy logic to me, surely the number of fans (trackside or otherwise) gained from live TV coverage makes the drop in attendance negligible. You're still left with a far bigger audience overall.

Don't shoot the messenger lol.
I do know of one family last year that did exactly that, i.e. stayed home and watched on tv instead of going cos it was raining.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't go to the track to watch it because of how popular it is. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is good, and value for money is brilliant considering how many support races there are (take note F1).

But I'm somebody who likes to move around the track and take photos. That gets more difficult when events get busy. I'm not complaining, though. The rise in attendances is brilliant for the BTCC.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
Schumifan wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Gow has often said how he doesn't see the appeal of live tv coverage as it can detract attendance from the local market especially if the weather is questionable, well he said that a few years ago anyway, dunno if he's changed his mind.

Seems like pretty dodgy logic to me, surely the number of fans (trackside or otherwise) gained from live TV coverage makes the drop in attendance negligible. You're still left with a far bigger audience overall.

Don't shoot the messenger lol.
I do know of one family last year that did exactly that, i.e. stayed home and watched on tv instead of going cos it was raining.

Oh yeah don't worry my comment was aimed towards Gow. I'm sure there are people that stay at home because they have the option - our trip to Brands at the end of the season tends to be weather dependent - but I'd assume all the exposure from the TV coverage makes up for that small loss. But who knows, I'm just guessing without seeing any of the figures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I only went to Donington for the first time (2001, lol I can pick my best seasons) because I'd seen it on TV in the first place, so I think Gow has backwards logic there

I can only imagine he said it somewhere near contract negociation time because he knows that having the sport on ITV4 is helping the crowds, you only have to compare it to British GT (motors tv (rip) and stream, plus 6am Channel 4 highlights) to realise its the TV coverage that brings people to the track, not vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Viewing figures and some thoughts from Gow here

https://f1broadcasting.co/
James B wrote:
I'd love to know the viewing figures. In some ways, ITV4 covering most of the day live is a throwback to Grandstand showing all kinds of racing in the 80s, but then Grandstand was dropped by the BBC 11 years ago because of poor ratings - mainly because having more channels meant people were less likely to sit at home and watch the whole thing, especially if something came on they weren't as interested in, whereas in the past they didn't have much choice. However, there must be something in it for ITV because they picked up that package from Motors quite a few years ago now and they're still showing it

I suppose Gow's logic comes from the Super Touring era where they were able to produce a very neat highlights package that could be shown on Grandstand, with Murray doing a great job pretending he was commentating live and all the boring bits cut out (and evidently there were a lot of them, as fun as that era was - I can remember watching some of the live ST races and they were probably on a par with today's better F1 races). That was something that worked for British F3 too

But that doesn't work so well in an era of satellite/digital TV, let alone live streaming. It used to be a real novelty to see highlights of the DTM, FIA GT or F3000 on TV (on Top Gear Motorsport or International Motor Racing) - and given that it was so hard to get hold of results, you would be watching it as if it was live anyway. But it feels like the chase for live sport probably killed off the idea that you could have race highlights on one of the main TV channels at a reasonable time (rather than 23:35 or whatever). Having a highlights package for F2 on, say, ITV wouldn't work now because most people who are interested would have seen it live, or would at least know the result

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:47 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

If the FIA keep insisting on BTCC and F1 clashing, i can see next year I will easily be prioritising live BTCC coverage and save F1 for highlights later in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:52 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

gd49 wrote:
Viewing figures and some thoughts from Gow here

https://f1broadcasting.co/

Cheers. Quite impressed with those 2018 figures. For me personally, it helps that ITV have good streaming

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

codename_47 wrote:
If the FIA keep insisting on BTCC and F1 clashing, i can see next year I will easily be prioritising live BTCC coverage and save F1 for highlights later in the day.

I already relegate F1 to a stream and have the telly for BTCC. BTCC will always trump F1 as things stand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:36 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Rivett declared Clio champion after appeal.