TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You all may or may not know this... But here you go...

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ama-sbk-dark-days-for-american-roadracing/

Here's some more horn blowing...

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/mic-to-launch-ussb-championship/

And the new series website...

http://www.ussbchampionship.com/

Personally, I think this is a bit silly. Don't get me wrong, the rules package that DMG threw down at first was totally laughable and their asinine naming for the new classes is equally silly. The AMA has ruined the Daytona 200 in recent years by 1, changing the course and 2, changing the bikes from the Superbikes to the FX bike.

Come to think of it, maybe this isn't so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It doesn't matter who goes with who unless they all go with each other. If all the manufacturers got together and went with the USSB, then the AMA and DMG wouldn't have a leg to stand on. All they have is Daytona and that isn't nearly as big a deal as it used to be.

To top it all off, the AMA has re-sold the rights to Supercross or Motocross (I forget which one) to the company that runs Barnum and Bailey circus (heard that on WindTunnel last night so that might not be 100% correct.)

Honda's just going to bail on factory support in the states me thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:16 am 
Hayden to Ducati is a match that really should work - if nothing else, he'll have a fresh start and hopefully the motivation needed to compete for the title. The tifosi will love him if he can start mixing it with Rossi/Stoner, they have a love for all things American over there, better yet if one is riding an Italian bike.

Biaggi to Aprilia WSBK - I know it's purely a rumour, but that would be the end of a hilarious circle (given how he left them initially and that he's raced for just about every other manufacturer since), and I'd love to see it. He's probably one of the few riders in WSBK who I'd bet on to get that bike a win or two purely on riding ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:15 pm 

Heres a thing I found about the silly season of MotoGP, from motogpmatters.com.

Quote:
Yamaha
Rossi
Lorenzo
Tech 3 Yamaha
Edwards
Toseland
Repsol Honda
Pedrosa
Dovizioso
Ducati
Stoner
Hayden
Kawasaki
Hopkins
Melandri
Suzuki
Capirossi
Vermuelen
Gresini Honda
Spies
de Angelis
Alice Ducati
Kallio
Canepa/Elias
Team LCR
de Puniet
Scot Honda
Takahashi
Team JiR
?
Aspar Kawasaki
Elias
Onde 2000 Ducati
Gibernau

Source; More Info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:43 pm 
Spies has been linked with JiR as well hasn't he? I've been quite impressed with him in the few wildcard rides he's had - I guess familiarity with the bike helps.

What is it with all these 250 riders that are coming through without actually having won anything. Kallio, Takahashi, De Angelis this year etc etc. Fine riders they may be, but as I mentioned in my other post, they really should concentrate on mastering the class they're in before moving on. I think the way in which Stoner won the MotoGP title so convincingly whilst not having won the smaller championships has given a few of these young guys the wrong idea about what is required. The Pedrosa/Rossi progression is definitely the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:55 am 

Old new are so exciting. :whistling:
Biaggi goes to Aprilia

Interesting season ahead with BMW and Aprilia joining.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:01 pm 

The 2008 world champion pair in Sidecar world championship is finnish pair Pekka Päivärinta & Timo Karttiala! :thumbsup: :D :D

First finnish world championship in road racing since 1972! :flag:

Congratulations!

Last edited by Iso Masa on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

21 bikes next year on that list? Really hope that goes one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 pm 
I'll say, the grid has been far too small for a few years now - the support for satellite teams has unfortunately dropped off quite a bit compared to a few years back, although the Tech 3 Yamaha/Scot Honda guys are showing what is possible with some decent machinery. That said, we do have more factories generally competing each week, so there's no reason we shouldn't have a larger grid.

How about that Max Biaggi/Kenan Sufuoglu crash in the WSBKs last night? Happened at the start of Race 2, Biaggi highsided back across the track after the sweeping turn 1, and his bike was hit hard by Kenan who was thrown over the handlebars of his own bike and into the gravel. Miracle that neither was injured - still not sure what caused Biaggi to have that sort of accident, the commentators speculated that his brake lever may have been touched by another rider, hard to tell exactly what went on from the footage. Bad luck for Bayliss too - a lack of concentration, and the title still isn't won. He's thrown away a good 30-40 points in the last two weekends, so he'd want to get that sorted out and wrap this title up before anything else goes wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumacher did an test on a Super Bike of Ten Kate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mSrUoWgkts&eurl[/youtube]

http://racesport.nl/nieuwsbericht/17884 ... Honda.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:35 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Next season looks like being Very interesting now.

worldsbk.com wrote:
GMB Sterilgarda Team signs Shane Byrne for 2009 WSBK championship

GMB team manager Marco Borciani will again be aiming high in the 2009 Superbike World Championship with the signing of BSB champion Shane Byrne, who won the British Superbike title on Sunday with one round remaining.

"Shakey", as he is known to his numerous fans, was born in Lambeth (UK) 32 years ago and is the first of two riders who will defend Sterilgarda colours in next year's championship. Byrne currently races for Airwaves Ducati GSE and has scored eight wins this year. The 2003 BSB champion is one of only two riders who has won rounds of the Superbike World Championship as a wild-card, in 2003 at Brands Hatch. Shane is an experienced rider who also raced in MotoGP in 2004 and 2005.

"For the 2009 season we will have a new two rider line-up" declared Borciani. "I would like to thank Ruben Xaus who helped the team to grow up in the last three years and Max Biaggi who brought further prestige to our team. I wish the best to both the riders for their new adventures respectively in BMW and Aprilia. In order to replace two great riders like Ruben and Max I searched for a sure talented rider who is able to assure a high-level performance. After many meetings with several riders, our choice came down to Shane, who has impressed me for his results and - above all - for his human skills. He will have the opportunity to test the new bike in Portimao, after the end of the last round".

Shane Byrne (Photo: BSB) added: "I'm absolutely delighted to be joining the Sterilgarda Go Eleven team to participate in the 2009 WSB championship. It's the perfect progression for me having secured the 2008 BSB championship last weekend at Silverstone on very similar Ducati machinery. Any team that can run riders of Max Biaggi and Ruben Xaus's standard can only be at the top of their game, I look forward to benefiting from the team and Ducati's experience to make the transition as straightforward as possible for me and can't wait for my first opportunity to start working with my new team."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:57 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

2009 WSBK calendar - no Brands Hatch :ohmy:

Quote:
The provisional 2009 World Superbike calendar, released by the FIM on Sunday, shows no round at Brands Hatch - traditionally one of the biggest events of the year - whilst confirming a return to Kyalami in South Africa.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/ne ... rands.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That was expected and reported in a recent MCN. Palmer fell out with SBK apparantly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

THIS IS QUITE APPALLING! THIS IS THE WORST START TO A WORLD SUPERBIKE SEASON I HAVE SEEN IN THE WHOLE OF MY LIFE!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Steeng wrote:
2009 WSBK calendar - no Brands Hatch :ohmy:

Quote:
The provisional 2009 World Superbike calendar, released by the FIM on Sunday, shows no round at Brands Hatch - traditionally one of the biggest events of the year - whilst confirming a return to Kyalami in South Africa.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/ne ... rands.html

Kyalami?

Is it a good motorbike track? I know Brands is a lot better but seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 pm 
Didn't it have a fatal crash as well (or at least in the Supersport/stock race)? But then so did Brands recently so I can't imagine it having much to do with safety

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JB-F1 wrote:
Didn't it have a fatal crash as well (or at least in the Supersport/stock race)? But then so did Brands recently so I can't imagine it having much to do with safety

Yeah, someone was killed at the Supersport race at Kyalami in 2003 (?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Alonsomania wrote:
JB-F1 wrote:

I.F. posted a video clip of the accident in the old TBK (I think)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It was just bad luck as Craig Jones had at Brands. Not really a track-specific crash, could've happened everywhere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:19 pm 
Alonsomania wrote:
JB-F1 wrote:

I think it was before then. Kyalami was dropped by WSBK after 2002

Dave will know his name. He was a South African and quite good iirc

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next