TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Fuck you, NASCAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm not going to pretend like the change made to the points system was the straw that broke the camel's back or anything, I've been fed up with the state of NASCAR for a long time. Here's a post I made on Spamgasm back at the beginning of October. In it, I tried to list some of the reasons why I went from loving NASCAR to hating it:

Quote:
Yeah, this is gonna seem like a stupid rant, something that seems like it should be followed up with "BRING IT BACK" or "LET EM RACE". Maybe I'm gonna sound like some old out of touch jackass from Trackforum that's just stuck in the past, remembering shit from my childhood and getting pissed that I'm not that age anymore.

so here's my list of why NASCAR sucks:

1. The fucking COT. Yeah, I hate that fucking car. I don't give a fuck if it's safer, or even if it makes the racing better. I like watching races where the cars fucking look good, and NASCAR needs to have cars that look good. They made no effort to make the thing look anything like any car you can go out and buy.
All the body styles should look different, and if people get pissed because they're getting their asses kicked by a Toyota or whatever, fuck em. Build a better car next time. The wing looked horrible, but so does the spoiler. Literally nothing about this car looks good to me, it's just a giant piece of shit. Fuck the bigger greenhouse too, that also makes the car look gay.

2. Paint Schemes. This goes back to me wanting to see good looking cars race. For decades, bad paint schemes were the exception. Now they're the rule, and I'm sick of that shit. Stop hiring retards to design your car's look. Stop thinking your car needs to look ridiculous to get noticed on the track. It will get noticed if it is either tasteful and good looking, or is a good car that does well in races. That's all you fucking need to worry about.
Stop putting photorealistic shit on cars, stop adding flames, stop adding swirls and swoopy lines, stop adding diamond plate patterns, stop adding tribal tattoo looking shit, stop adding spikes. Look at the paint schemes from decades past to fucking see how that shit is done.

3. Shitty tracks. Here comes the fucking "BRING BACK NORTH WILKES" shit, but yeah, Fucking bring back North Wilkesboro. Rockingham, too. I would rather see 2 races there each year than second races at places like Kansas, Las Vegas, Texas, California, or Phoenix. Fuck reconfiguring tracks or fucking with the banking too. Old Atlanta kicked ass, fuck the new one. It owned when Charlotte was a unique shape, why the fuck did you have to rebuild Atlanta to be similar, and build Texas that way too? Fuck the new markets like Kansas and Chicago. Fuck em, I don't care if they can support a race or not, fuck em. Fuck you for making places like Martinsville look ridiculous. Look at how Martinsville looked in the early 90s and then compare that to a picture of today. Then go ask any sane human being which track they think looks better. Anybody that says the modern version of Martinsville looks better needs to be in therapy.

4. No more "big races". Remember when the the Daytona and Talladega races were bigger than fucking anything else? Shit, remember when the fucking Brickyard 400 was a big deal? Remember when the Bristol and Charlotte night races owned because they were at night? Maybe it's down to more extensive TV coverage and every single race having over an hour of pre-race coverage, but now every race seems like it is being treated the same as the Daytona and Talladega races, and the former "big races" seem like their coverage has been toned down to make them more like everything else. I remember being a kid and being excited as fuck for the big races. Now I barely want to watch them.

5. Shitty TV coverage. You guys touched on this last night. I hate the fucking TV coverage now. Everyone seems like a fucking jackass and makes me not even want to watch. ESPN and CBS could make the shittiest races watchable and enjoyable. Today, even races that should be fucking great are nearly unwatchable due to the fucking SHIT ASS WAY EVERYTHING IS PRESENTED. Fuck the gay looking graphics, fuck the shitty broadcast teams, and fuck ESPN for not covering shit like they used to.

6. The Chase. Fuck the Chase, bring back the old points system. Don't like who wins the championship under that system? Too bad, fuck off.

7. Shitty rules. I'm talking about not racing back to the caution, and green-white-checker finishes. How many terrible accidents did we have due to cars racing to the line under yellow? Shit, all you have to tell these guys is BE CAREFUL and they'll be able to "race" back without killing each other. Shit, why the hell are there so many dumb wrecks now anyway? Sometimes it seems like nobody even cares if they wreck their car or not. Stop fucking up the race with unnecessary cautions. This kind of brings me to the whole green-white-checker thing, stop having so many god damn wrecks and we wouldn't have to worry about finishing EVERY FUCKING RACE under caution. Stacking the field up like that, since apparently nobody can fucking drive worth a shit anymore, just means someone is probably going to wreck again and fuck more shit up.

anyway, there's more shit I'm probably forgetting, but whatever, I'm tired of writing.

BRING IT BACK

LET EM RACE

I knew back then there was pretty much no hope for NASCAR. And what happened today just helps reinforce that feeling.

What the fuck happened? Why is there such a perfect storm of shittiness surrounding modern NASCAR?

Ask yourself this question: When was the last time you had fun watching a NASCAR race on TV?

When I was a kid, I would look forward to races all week long, and when the broadcast started, it was the fucking highlight of my week. I haven't had fun watching a race in years. I honestly can't remember the last time.

Go watch a NASCAR race ESPN did from like 1991. Any race. Holy shit, everything is so fucking perfect! I know that will never come back, it's not like you could wave a magic wand and bring Benny Parsons back to life or anything, but everything is just so perfect. I'm not just talking about the broadcast. Everything is better. The cars look better, the tracks look better, the shirtless rednecks in the infield look better. It was fun, I just can't come up with a better way to put it.

Why isn't NASCAR fun anymore? Why does it have to be so different than the way it used to be?

I don't like NASCAR anymore. I fucking hate it.

Yeah, I know I'll never stop watching. I can't stop. It's hard to completely give up on something you loved so much at one time.

So what do you think? What is it that fucked up NASCAR so bad? All I ask is avoid silly, simplistic stuff like "ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY NOW" or "PEOPLE ARE JUST DUMBER THESE DAYS". That shit never explains anything.

Post subject: Re: Fuck you, NASCAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:22 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the easiest way to answer that is to say it's all about the money. NASCAR's getting paid, ISC/SMI are getting paid, the drivers are getting paid more than ever (for the most part), the teams are making more cash than ever off merchandising, trademarks and even the top-35 deal (again, for the most part) and the networks are getting paid, so why should they care about what they're bringing forth?

If you look at everything NASCAR's done - not just NASCAR, but the folks involved in the sport listed above, and their reactions to how things have happened - along those lines, everything makes sense. I'm not suggesting it's right at all, but it makes sense, in a 'Got mine, fuck you' sort of way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:32 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ok, so I guess everyone just woke up in the early 2000s and decided they liked money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Moreso they figured out the amounts of money in play in the sport as a whole, and more importantly how much of that pie they could actually have. It sounds stupid, but if I recall correctly, the TV deal that got signed in 2001 was a hell of a lot bigger than anything NASCAR had in the past...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Paul wrote:
Go watch a NASCAR race ESPN did from like 1991. Any race. Holy shit, everything is so fucking perfect! I know that will never come back, it's not like you could wave a magic wand and bring Benny Parsons back to life or anything, but everything is just so perfect. I'm not just talking about the broadcast. Everything is better. The cars look better, the tracks look better, the shirtless rednecks in the infield look better. It was fun, I just can't come up with a better way to put it.

I remember watching races on ESPN back about ten years ago. From what i remember, they did nothing more and nothing less than call the race, with people who actually enjoyed racing, enjoyed calling the race, and were pleasant to listen to (my personal favorite team of all time has to be Benny, Wally, and Bestwick, but that's beside the point). It's such a shame that nowadays we use the word perfect to describe something that was done, quite simply, as it should have been done. So, I will have to echo you sentiment, sir, and say "Fuck you, NASCAR"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:41 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

^As an example of my point, tell me how many sponsors were involved in the TV broadcasts back in that time-frame, as far as presenting cautions/segments/etc.?

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it's not nearly as extensive as today...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
^As an example of my point, tell me how many sponsors were involved in the TV broadcasts back in that time-frame, as far as presenting cautions/segments/etc.?

From what i remember, there was the Bud Pole Award and the Gatorade Victory lane.
None of this Claritan Clear to Drive Restart nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

I'm going to sticky this. Because there's plenty of people here that are frustrated about the state of NASCAR like you are, Paul, and I think this is an important topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

EvilVendingMachine wrote:
Mobil1fan wrote:

From what i remember, there was the Bud Pole Award and the Gatorade Victory lane.

Or Aflac Trivia, or the Ford Cutaway car, or the Safety-Kleen Caution, or having a race presented by someone that wasn't the race sponsor, or even editing out logos of cars that didn't directly pay for TV advertising in the starting lineup...
EDIT: I guess in other words, there weren't sponsors or companies being mentioned on TV that had nothing to do with on-track incentive awards, or stuff like that...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
EvilVendingMachine wrote:
Mobil1fan wrote:

Or Aflac Trivia, or the Ford Cutaway car, or the Safety-Kleen Caution, or having a race presented by someone that wasn't the race sponsor, or even editing out logos of cars that didn't directly pay for TV advertising in the starting lineup...
EDIT: I guess in other words, there weren't sponsors or companies being mentioned on TV that had nothing to do with on-track incentive awards, or stuff like that...

1998 Bud Shootout. Aflac Trivia at 4:45.

I didn't want this discussion to turn into this, but whatever. I'm not going to focus my attention on money, because I really don't think that's the issue here. It's not just the television coverage of NASCAR that's terrible now, it's the overall product. I mentioned several things in my original post that have nothing to do with money.

Everyone is going to hate me for saying this, especially because it's trendy to hate money these days, but TV networks aren't in the entertainment business as much as they are in the advertising business. Their job is to put something on TV that enough people will watch that they can attract more and more advertising. I'm not going to bitch about people looking for ways to pay their bills.

The fact that there's more commercials on now than there was 20 years ago is hardly the most annoying thing about NASCAR. The commercials are annoying, but that's it. I can deal with an annoyance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sure, that isn't 1991, but it's long before NASCAR really started going downhill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:08 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Not good enough? How about ESPN track facts being sponsored by Bosch or some shit like that?

My point is that ads are nothing new.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

There's a difference between doing things within your means to pay the bills, and clear-cutting the forest and without giving a damn for the impact of that years down there road.

Let's come at it from a different direction - What incentive would NASCAR have had to change things to the extent they have if it wasn't about increasing revenue (ie. if it wasn't about the money?)

EDIT: I honestly forgot Aflac sponsored the trivia in the 90s, but perhaps that's because it wasn't as invasive as the ads/sponsored segments have become nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Let's look at the car of tomorrow. As far as I know, this was designed to be safer and improve competition.

Oh, but that's only because they want a better show so people don't quit watching, or not buy tickets to the race, right? It's all about the money.

Ok, how about the chase. I always figured this was because some people started bitching about somebody like Matt Kenseth winning the championship and saying he didn't deserve it because he didn't win enough, so they wanted something that would put more of an emphasis on winning.

Of course, that's only because they don't want you to stop watching because they want your money!!

No racing back to the yellow. Safety? Nah, that probably has something to do with money.

You could probably look at anything I say and say it's all about money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:23 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paul's opening post is the greatest post of all time. And I'm not joking either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:30 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not my fault that most of , if not all of those root causes have a financial aspect to them, or at least have an effect on the amount of cash going around. It might not be declared outright nor would it be something that would ever be said aloud, but if you look at the history of NASCAR as a sanctioning body, they don't do things solely for non-financial intrinsic value. You're not pricing weekly tracks out of Whelen sanctioning and driving up merchandizing/licensing fees for merchandise and obtaining for someone else's good, especially when you're monopolizing the market when doing so.

I'd like to think things like safety would be done to look out for the drivers, but there's been far too many reactionary improvements after folks have gotten injured (or worse) to make that seem like a coincidence.

Everything you, or anyone can say, can be made out to be all about the money, because in the context of the sanctioning body it's always been about the money. The money itself isn't bad, it's the love of money and what folks will do to get it (and more of it) that's the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Here's some screens from a race chat session where Ebessan blames the downfall of all American racing (not just NASCAR) on USAC:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:43 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

you know man, i know exactly what you mean. it used to be fun and it's not anymore. watching races every sunday has become a chore for me.

ultimately it's the fanbase and i blame them completely. NASCAR will appeal to them because thats their "common fan" and they make more money this way. face it, morons, they've always been about money, since day fucking one. big bill france didn't create NASCAR just to make some supercool new thing that people would like. he created it to make fucking tons of money.

the bulk of the current fanbase is fucking retarded. sure, they probably have always been retarded, but a different kind of retarded. somewhere along the line it switched over from guys who gave a shit about cars and worked on them and knew about them and drank beers and had a good time at races to fucking stupid airhead 35-45 year old 240lb women with dale jr. everything that only give a fuck about going to wal-mart and buying dale jr. flags and toothbrushes and shoes and socks and cup holders and whatever the fuck.

just look at the commercials from an old race. they advertised car shit. how often do you see them advertise spark plugs or batteries or shit like that now? never. now you see some dingleshit cell phone advertised 17 thousand times to appeal to these retarded broads that sit down all fucking day with their chubby fuck fingers texting away to their friends about stupid nonsense.

these people don't give two shits about the quality of racing and NASCAR knows it. they suck every single possible cent out of these retards because they can, and why not? i sure fucking would, taking advantage of stupid people is awesome. show them shitty racing on TV and sell them tons of useless crap with the #88 on it. sell them tickets to see the shitty racing in person. no matter what, they think its fucking great.

us hardcore fans get the shaft and NASCAR doesn't give a shit. why should they? i'm not defending them in any way, but every sport and every fucking thing in the entire world is about this. how much money does NASCAR make from me a year? i go to a race about every 5 years and i buy maybe one thing a year memorabilia related. that's basically nothing at all.

so thats it, they have 400 million dale jr. fantatic morons to support them, so they'll appeal to them with their shitty cars and shitty new points system and i can sit at home with my finger up my ass with a NASCAR SUCKS t-shirt and it won't matter not even a little bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave "The Godfather" Moody account spotted.

Seriously, that makes a shit-ton of sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hey man, I know money and dumbass fans have a lot to do with it, but it's not everything. I just wanted to explore things a little deeper than those two issues.