TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3770 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1184 185 186 187 188 189 Next

Should this thread be HoF'd?
Yes! It was an awesome thread, and the races were awesome. 51%  51%  [ 37 ]
No. The races nowhere near constituted HoF worthy, and/or the thread does not deserve to be HoF'd. 49%  49%  [ 35 ]
Total votes: 72
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well, that was an interesting day. Can't say the race as a whole was too exciting (short stints with a bunch of wrecks). But it held my attention and the finish/result was GLORIOUS! And nothing against Bayne, but even coming off turn four I really still didn't expect him to win. It looked hard enough for good, established drivers to hold the lead in that situation, but thankfully Carl raced him cleanly. I still can't believe it really happened. What a beautiful story from almost every angle.

Oh yeah, Bayne has also stepped right in won a big fight for the Nationwide regulars too. You guys got Cupwhack'd!!!! :p

And one more thing: Robby's save off turn two on the first GWC was orgasmic. No idea how he managed that. :o

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

TheShermanator wrote:
Hey, 21. 2+1=3

RIGGED

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
And one more thing: Robby's save off turn two on the first GWC was orgasmic. No idea how he managed that. :o

wish the fox crew focused more on that. it was amazing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Somebody earlier mentioned something about where the pace car would finish.

There were 16 cautions for 60 laps.

That would place the pace car 38th in front of Robert Richardson (45 laps), Joe Nemechek (29), Michael Waltrip (28), Brian Keselowski (28), Kevin Harvick (22), and J.J. Yeley (10).

Source: http://racing-reference.info

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:03 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Some have suggested HoFing this thread. I leave it to you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:

Not the first time he's pulled a move like that off either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:38 am 

Location: Columbus, OH [Member since Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:51 am ]
I still have mixed/negative feelings about this new RP racing style. Thanks to the many cautions (and Travis Kvapil) the field didnt get the oppurtunity to realy spread out. It could have easily been a dissaster like saturdays NNS race with just a handful of drivers on the lead lap. Also, even with a GWC finish only 4 cars were in contention... I want the big pack bag! Anyways, could not have asked for a better winner. :thumbsup:

P.S. Does anyone else have the NAPA KNOW HOW jingle playing over and over in their head.... :o

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:40 am 
The most anticipated member

I still have 2007 Daytona 500 on the top of my list as one of the best Daytona 500 I've ever watched, cannot be compared to this one, though it was really exciting. Perhaps the double file thing might have took out the event's brightness a little bit IMO but it was really cool that the winner came out from complete anonymity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:44 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Well, I have to get in before the lock and HoF filing.

My take on the race seems to be along everyone elses wavelength. The race kept my attention the whole time, I had some family members over for the race, roomates and whatnot, and a pool, worth $140 riding on the race.

Finish - Absolute upset! My dad said it best shortly after the checkers, "That is GREAT for the sport." Trevor Bayne winning is huge, bringing that age record down, and showing the fanbase what the nationwide guys can do. Chris A said lots of this. Wood Brothers in Victory Lane is the best thing to happen to this sport since the fist fight in '79. The one factor about this victory is...the last win for this team was what? Sadler in 01? Think of the good ole' days highlights that will be going on for WEEKS?! That will bring in so many potential fans...and give the sport a slight rejuvenation

Race as a whole, would have like to see a good 50 lap run, but I think without the conditions of the wrecs and the amount of cars it took out, we wouldn't be talking about Bayne in Victory Lane.

AND - My Daytona 500 pool was a SPLIT POT, $70 per guy...who knew that could happen with 35 predictions on the sheet!

Anyways, my dad had the 21 finishing 43rd....just sayin'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:13 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So, bigger upset?

Cope in 1990 or Bayne in 2011?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:25 am 

tickyour wrote:
P.S. Does anyone else have the NAPA KNOW HOW jingle playing over and over in their head.... :o

It`s a Subliminal Messages :wave:

8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SecretAgentHarvick wrote:
So, bigger upset?

I reckon Bayne's was the bigger upset. You don't expect anyone to win in their 2nd Cup start anywhere, let alone win the biggest race of the year in their 2nd start. Not to mention that Cope was bloody lucky to win his 500, had Earnhardt not cut a tire on the last lap that race would've been his.

But is Bayne's win today the biggest upset in NASCAR history? While you could certainly make a very valid point to say that it is, personally, I reckon Gilliland's Busch win at Kentucky in 2006 is still the biggest upset of all time. A true independent effort with no sponsors, a very limited budget and their own equipment not just matching the bigger Cup teams, but beating them as well at a track where aero and engine power is so important is more impressive imo (this also in a period where Buschwhacking was at it's peak; I think there were 7 Cup drivers running full-time that year). But Bayne today would certainly have to go up there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:52 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

So, bigger upset?

Bayne. A twenty year old in his second cup race without any wins in NASCAR's upper divisions who plain earned and raced his way to victory. Cope had atleast had dozens of starts before that win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:01 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd say Cope, if only for the manner in which he won the race in 1990. I don't know how much speed Cope showed that weekend in 1990, certainly not as much as Bayne showed all Speedweeks. Plus, it's not as if we haven't seen the driver in his 2nd Cup start racing his way to victory deal before. That part of the win isn't as much of a shocker as, say, a driver who lead 155 out of 199 laps losing a tire 2 corners from the finish.

Bayne's win is more impressive, but Cope's win is the bigger upset due to the shock value of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the HOF is a special thing. no mere mortal can just simply walk into hof. but we, restric0r plate hungry whores, are so quick to declare a plate thread hof-worthy that i think we are losing touch with what the hof is. i mean, a week from now, is this thread hof worthy? NAW SON, naw. lets all calm down. great winner, great paint scheme. hof? no.

IMHO, the only HOF (hall of fucking fame ((a special place)) ) thread that i have been a part of was that time that bkez nearly killed a horse.

(also, i just thought of this, and sorry if it has been covered elsewhere, but i read that article about nascar removing the carbs by 2012 and going fuel injected.... but yknow, like, where does the restricter plate go on that motor??)

Last edited by dr dog on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So, bigger upset?

copes 'upset' sucks because he actually didnt deseve that win. tbay did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Wouldn't you think that Cope deserving the win less than Bayne would make it more of an upset?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

smokyburnout wrote:
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
hedgey666 wrote:
FOX you SUCK. No interview with the guy who finished third in dodgy equipment but they speak to Bayne's mother who predicatbly has NOTHING interesting to say? Urgh.

To be fair, they're over their broadcast time. They tried to mash in as much postrace coverage as they could.

True.

On the other hand, is there anyone out there who REALLY wanted to see the last 10 minutes of "Whacked Out Sports"?

Well, they wasted 10 minutes showing the criminally awful Brad Paisley at the start - how about less build up (it's all boring anyway) and more post-race interviews and stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
Wouldn't you think that Cope deserving the win less than Bayne would make it more of an upset?

no

(in a stick and ball sport maybe. but in racing, that is just retard luck, like when danica won in japan.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Still, there's more shock value in Earnhardt losing a tire and Cope leading through 2 corners to win than a 20 year old who was consistently fast and racy all week. While there might have been a remote possibility of Bayne winning, there was virtually none of Cope doing it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3770 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1184 185 186 187 188 189 Next