TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Andre wrote:
What Chris said.

I know for the newer followers of the sport, it might be hard to imagine that a 36-race chase to the title can be more exciting and more frantic than a 10-race playoff. But... how? Instead of being worried something might go wrong in ten races, you have 36 races where anything can happen, and in the past, always seemed to happen without trying. Instead of natural excitement, we get something that's manufactured... kinda like the fake breasts post some time earlier on in this thread.

Sure, some stank up the show some years, but when it was close (and it was close quite often), it felt more authentic. No asterisks needed, either.

My two cents, even though I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious.

And the best part about it was everyone was in Championship mode all season long. Now, half the teams are not even taking the regular season that seriously and fucking around with experimental setups most of the time as they know even a few bad finishes won't affect their Chase spot. You don't know what anyone's got until 2/3rd way through the season. Still, the Chase won't go away and only get more tricked up if anything so gotta keep trying to see its good points when they occasionally surface.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
Haven't heard anyone else mention this, but two fans were injured when part of a brake pad went into the Speedway Club section:

http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com ... ies=NASCAR

That's a long distance for that debris to cover. :o

Bit of an update on this. Apparently it happened just as the race ended and the brake pad came off of Sam Hornish Jr's car.
Quote:
UPDATE: Witnesses at the Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday said a brake pad from Race Car #77 flew from the track into an eighth-floor window in the Speedway Club, injuring two men. Speedway officials called it a "freak accident," and added that it isn't something that happens often. Eyewitness Linda Gregoire said it happened seconds after the NASCAR Sprint Car race ended. According to officials, the pad became dislodged from the vehicle and flew more than 100 feet upward. Gregoire said one of the men "was holding his chest" and another man had glass lodged in his throat. "Everyone thought it was a gunshot," Gregoire said. "It scared the thunder out of us." Still hot from the vehicle, the pad burned a hole in the Speedway Club carpet. "Some of the waitresses had glass on their trays," Gregoire said excitedly. "It was very scary." One man was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The others were treated at the scene with minor cuts and bruises. Speedway officials said they would meet with NASCAR Monday morning to see how the incident happened and figure out ways to prevent similar incidents in the future (CBS)(11-9-2010)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:21 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

On the Kyle issue, hasn't there been a few instances in the past where rough talking on the radio got penalties. When this happened MRN was saying Kyle was going nuts over the radio which I would assume would be the reason he would get penalized not for flipping the bird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheShermanator wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Haven't heard anyone else mention this, but two fans were injured when part of a brake pad went into the Speedway Club section:

http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com ... ies=NASCAR

That's a long distance for that debris to cover. :o

Bit of an update on this. Apparently it happened just as the race ended and the brake pad came off of Sam Hornish Jr's car.
Quote:
UPDATE: Witnesses at the Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday said a brake pad from Race Car #77 flew from the track into an eighth-floor window in the Speedway Club, injuring two men. Speedway officials called it a "freak accident," and added that it isn't something that happens often. Eyewitness Linda Gregoire said it happened seconds after the NASCAR Sprint Car race ended. According to officials, the pad became dislodged from the vehicle and flew more than 100 feet upward. Gregoire said one of the men "was holding his chest" and another man had glass lodged in his throat. "Everyone thought it was a gunshot," Gregoire said. "It scared the thunder out of us." Still hot from the vehicle, the pad burned a hole in the Speedway Club carpet. "Some of the waitresses had glass on their trays," Gregoire said excitedly. "It was very scary." One man was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The others were treated at the scene with minor cuts and bruises. Speedway officials said they would meet with NASCAR Monday morning to see how the incident happened and figure out ways to prevent similar incidents in the future (CBS)(11-9-2010)

That just makes it even stranger :o

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tristar 7AT wrote:
On the Kyle issue, hasn't there been a few instances in the past where rough talking on the radio got penalties. When this happened MRN was saying Kyle was going nuts over the radio which I would assume would be the reason he would get penalized not for flipping the bird.

I dunno, they've penalised drivers before for flipping the bird. I think Steve Wallace got a lap in the sin bin for flipping off Lagasse's crew in a Busch race last year, so as long as the application is consistent, I have no issues with parking Kyle for a lap or two.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:53 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris A wrote:
I was thinking the same, Paul. I get the feeling NASCAR was upset because it was caught live from his onboard.

To be honest, I dont think it does. Judging by the guys that I have talked to, I think the farthest it goes is just guys ripping NASCAR over the radios. People know not to mess with NASCAR and its not like the Official couldnt have just radioed to the tower "the lil prick is now flipping me off" and go from there. Gotta remember also that some drivers have the history and NASCAR has a shorter leash on them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

About chase or not chase, the point system was made in order to everyone race the championship races, making the participation of the even more important than the win. In 2010, everything is different but the points remained. The problem is that they are such a characteristic of Nascar, but I really wonder how the championship would be decided with a much more rewarding victory on each of the 36 races. Even now, what really decides the championship is the misfortunes and not the achieviments.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17