TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:50 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey guys I am fulfilling a life long desire and making the trip to the U.S next July for the 400 and just wanted to hear from some of you that have been to Daytona and sat in the Front Stretch grandstand which section you sat in and how were the seats, how was the view of the track etc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:29 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I can only speak of my experience at Talladega, which is pretty damn similar, so I figured I could add some input.

It seemed like the higher, the better. Otherwise, what little bit of the backstretch you can see goes away completely. Me and my Dad were only sitting about 20 rows from the very top towards the middle of the tri-oval, and they seemed like some of the best seats in the house.

Anyway, that was at Talladega. Daytona could be entirely different, but I thought it would be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've been to Daytona a few times and I always enjoyed sitting towards the end of pit road so you can see them coming off turn 4 and into the tri oval before going by you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Just a bit of a tip: for the past two years, not a single seat has been sold at the backstretch because DIS doesn't want to pay for additional bills. If this is true next year, don't be surprised.

I've only been to Long Beach once, and I know you can't see the whole track anywhere, but from my input, the higher you sit, the better the view. On Sunday, I sat so far up the GA grandstand that I can see the entire Shoreline Blvd. As in from the hairpin turn to the first turn. Of course, I saw the boring as fuck Indy Lights race and stood next to the fence (which, by the way, is not recommended, especially on ovals, so beware) for the IndyCar race.

Since Daytona is an oval, the higher you sit, the better the view. The so-called "cheap seats" happens close-up (this is going by pricing at California Speedway), where you can see the frontstretch, and that's it. Sometimes, you can only see part of it. Going higher is pricey, but can be worth it if you can see the entire track. Of course, the higher up you sit, the thinner the air gets. I speak of experience from going to ballgames and Harvest Crusades at Angel Stadium, where my chest feels like it has a couple bricks pinned next to it.

The 3D map can be seen here:
http://www.seats3d.com/international_sp ... _speedway/

The pricing for the Firecracker 400 isn't up yet, but expect it sometime in March or April.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pretty much whats already been said, the higher the better. Whenever my dad and I used to go we'd be in the Depalma tower which is right near the entrance of pit road. You can see plenty of backstretch and most of the turns. It's the best view of any last lap turn 4 shenanigans that may or may not happen.

We went to the truck race last year and usually we sit in the Earnhardt tower, which is above Depalma so it's pretty much the same view. Instead we sat in the lower seats coming out of the tri oval. They weren't really the best seats I've ever had. There were buildings and video screens obstructing the view of the backstretch. As you can see in my video even with my shoddy camera work.

The plus side again, awesome view of the front stretch but I prefer my seats in the Depalma tower.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:58 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok, you can see the BS from the lower seats at Daytona as well. The higher seats in the lower section are cheap and not too bad. The higher you sit obviously the better the view you will have tho.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:48 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I've only been to Daytona once, and it was this year for the 500. I actually sat at the very top of the Backstretch grandstands which was a pretty good view, especially because most of the late race action happened coming off turn 2 right in front of us.

But like everyone else has said, generally just the higher the better. I've been to plenty of short tracks and road courses and it's exactly the same deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:08 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks all :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:38 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The only time I went, 2003, I sat toward turn 1 near pit exit. Its a great spot but I was too low to catch most the backstreach action. That seems like it would be a great place higher up since you can see most the action coming off 4 to the line, and entering the corner of 1

However, I was in the perfect place to see this:

Yup, that would be Newman taking a barrel roll. Not great quality but it was from a not great camera.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i think the ones in the cars would be the best... :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

been to daytona 3 times and tally twice. best seats are usually just past the triā€“oval. for nascar the cheap seats are at the bottom, but when you do sit higher up you want to try to get the front of that section where the railing is just so you're not staring at someones ugly jeff gordon hat or some fat dudes giant #3 shaved out of his backhair.

good luck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:40 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Limited space on the backstretch, order your tickets now.