TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1756 757 758 759 7601059 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Morbid as it sounds, I had a bad feeling in the back of my mind that he might pass right after the Bristol race. This was probably the most fitting way to go.

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shit. Watching the Bristol race right now. That's bad man. I really was hopefull. I'm glad he got to see all the support though. Maybe that's what kept him pulling forward, to see that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:24 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Cartman wrote:
Morbid as it sounds, I had a bad feeling in the back of my mind that he might pass right after the Bristol race. This was probably the most fitting way to go.

RIP

I did too, but not in any "premonition" kind of way. I just gathered from the tone in the commentators' voices that he might have been in a really bad way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:23 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Race Hub had a really wonderful tribute to Steve today, I'm not ashamed to say it brought a few tears to my eyes.

When they renamed the Bristol race in honor of Steve, my first thought was "What makes him so special? Millions of people around the world are fighting cancer". Then I started to think, as long as I've been watching Nascar, I've been watching Steve Byrnes. He was a good egg, and always one of my favorites. He didn't ask stupid questions, he was funny, and you could tell by the way people talked to Steve, everyone respected him. Steve Byrnes got cancer, fought the battle, and lost. It happens hundreds of times every day. It happened to my cousin, two of my aunts, my grandparents, my father, my dog, and it will eventually get me. After watching Race Hub, I got it. What made Steve Byrnes special? Because he was. And it wasn't just about Steve, it was the message. Everyone knows what cancer is, they know what it does, but it doesn't hurt to remind people to fight it, don't give up. Support your family and friends that have it. It can be beaten, even if it's for a short while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cArmAkAze wrote:
Race Hub had a really wonderful tribute to Steve today, I'm not ashamed to say it brought a few tears to my eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think Mike Joy had the best line of the show: "My wife asked 'how can God give cancer to someone so good?' God made a mistake."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dr dog wrote:
His last tweet, a day ago, in response to a fan was "I went the distance."

Dammit that's sad (and hopeful, I suppose).

I think they asked him if he watched the whole Bristol race, that was his response.

Have to say he was one of my favorite TV personalities, especially with the Marlin impersonations.

RIP Steve. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep - I was in bed watching the end of the race, tired, thinking "man, this was a long day". And there was Steve Byrnes in the shape he was in, watching it until the very end. Not only does that show how much he loved the sport, but it shows he was able to feel all the love from his peers and all the fans, all the way until the very end.

As sad as it is to lose him, looking back at that race weekend and all the love and support he was shown (and that he was able to acknowledge it all) is a bit of a silver lining to it.

Also, fuck cancer. He might have succumbed to it, but he didn't let it defeat him. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cArmAkAze wrote:
I think Mike Joy had the best line of the show: "My wife asked 'how can God give cancer to someone so good?' God made a mistake."

Because there is no "God"? :slaphead:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

highgroove wrote:
cArmAkAze wrote:

You have to remember though, NASCAR as a whole is a pretty religious group.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cartman wrote:

RIP

yep, I wrote to a Friend few Days ago, that its not gonna end good. But on the otherside He has no Pain anymore.
When they Renamed the race I knew this would end bad...

R.I.P Steve. we will miss you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

highgroove wrote:
cArmAkAze wrote:

I agree, I'm a bit agnostic. I've had a few near death experiences and none of them turned me into a holy roller. I want to believe there is a greater being, there is something that may explain why we're all here. I just think Mike had some large attachments to make that kind of statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yea, that took some balls and maybe.. that was Mike's safest way of saying there is no God too because after all if God can make mistakes, he's just human. And that's no good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

cArmAkAze wrote:
highgroove wrote:
cArmAkAze wrote:

I agree, I'm a bit agnostic. I've had a few near death experiences and none of them turned me into a holy roller. I want to believe there is a greater being, there is something that may explain why we're all here. I just think Mike had some large attachments to make that kind of statement.

Yeah I had that initial urge to go into Atheist rage mode but what Joy actually stated was charged with a very different conviction than a typical religious loudmouth. I respect that statement a lot, the more I think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I do believe in Him, and I just think that the haven it's where you go AFTER you die. All bets are off on Earth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That is a very confusing post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just because bad things happens, it doesn't mean God doesn't exist. This is not haven, and it's not exactly supposed to be like one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

True but that's not really relevant when debating the merits of theism.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:47 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have my thoughts on religion, but I think if being part of a religion makes people genuinely happy, then I say go for it. What I don't like is when religious fanatics start telling everyone who doesn't believe in what they believe in is wrong and they're right. I'm not religious, but I don't run around to every religious person and tell them that they're wrong and they shouldn't believe in anything.

Then there are the religions and the people within who deceive and take advantage of honest-to-goodness people who are actually just trying to find peace. Don't get me started on those motherfuckers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The whole concept of religion seems so childish to me, I'm sorry. It's like fairytales for grownups. The mythical stuff especially, I don't know how sane people can tell themselves that stuff actually happened. Talking about all religions here.

You should not need religion to be a good person. If you do something to someone that you wouldn't like to be done to you, you know it's bad. And vice versa. It's that simple.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1756 757 758 759 7601059 Next