TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe they did plan for Hill to let him before the finish line so they both went through.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Maybe they did plan for Hill to let him before the finish line so they both went through.

What information raises that possibility? Hill's interview suggested he wasn't getting any information from the team on the championship situation, and there was no arrangement between him and Creed other than to race for the win.If the team were waiting for Hill to take the white flag before asking him to let Creed past, and were happy to have him borderline wreck Creed on the way there, that's not exactly galaxy brain strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm actually surprised that the Cup race didn't turn into a demolition derby. Today saw the longest green flag run to end a race at Martinsville since the 90's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Drivers are ultimately responsible for their actions, and should be judged accordingly. But I still think there’s room to attach some level of blame or cause on the playoff system, because it makes shit like Creed’s driving on Saturday so much more tempting and, coupled with NASCAR’s incredibly lax attitude toward driving standards, rewarding.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
I don't follow NASCAR anymore, but saw the finish to this one in the crash thread. The driving standards could not get any lower. At the restart, Hill comes up the track a little bit and rubs Creed, so I can understand Creed giving him a little rub into the next corner. That's borderline, but forgivable. It doesn't pay off, and Hill does well on the outside. He's well clear going into the next corner and Creed just uses him as a brake. How can you defend against that? Stupid driving in a stupid series with the stupidest championship format.

https://www.youtube.com/live/WpPOP8jFv8 ... lab&t=2560

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the last 2 laps. I agree with Brock on this, Creed did nothing you wouldn't expect any driver in that position to do and a lot of other drivers would have taken one of those 3 chances to just dump their competitor, teammate or no teammate. Hill made several questionable moves himself and is by no means innocent in this. But overall Childress and RCR look like total dipshits for choosing to call their own driver stupid for trying to win a race instead of planning for what was obviously going to happen before it happened.

I would agree 100% if you're basing it off the last 5 to 10 years of driving etiquette. But that is the problem. Ever since 'Boys, have at it' and the introduction of the play offs, there have been zero repercussions for dangerous driving (Edwards and Busch could have been given lengthy bans in any other series). It's deemed acceptable to use your car as a weapon, so now drivers will try anything, especially if it means advancing in the championship.

Now I know that NASCAR has always had a contact element. There's always been the rubbing of fenders or giving a bump and run on the final lap, but even then it wasn't always considered sporting. Think back to Earnhardt being booed at Bristol. My problem is that what we see now is 10x worse than what was considered borderline 20 years ago. It's no longer rubbing. It's using the car in front as a brake. Unless you're in a full contact category, it's cheap, crappy racing, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Upon, further review, it seems like Sheldon Creed might not have brake-checked Austin Hill on the final lap. It appears that something broke on Creed's car which caused him to slow in the middle of turns 3 and 4. Andy Petree has apologized to Creed since his post-race comments.

https://sportsnaut.com/richard-childress-racing-sheldon-creed-drama/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:04 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Interesting.