TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I get it in HD! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 am 

Haven't watched an ARCA race in years. Are those Hoosier tires still fat ass gumball bias-ply or do they make radials these days? My guess is gumballs for this series and those old ass Cup cars.

FS2 is on Dish in SD, HD on DirectTV.

"Tires is important." - Benny Parsons

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
I get it in HD! :)

Is that a recent change? Who's your provider?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:38 am 

Ayro wrote:
Haven't watched an ARCA race in years. Are those Hoosier tires still fat ass gumball bias-ply or do they make radials these days? My guess is gumballs for this series and those old ass Cup cars.

FS2 is on Dish in SD, HD on DirectTV.

"Tires is important." - Benny Parsons

Radials. Which is kinda funny cause I'm almost positive you can't even buy Hoosier radials!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

After 6 second place finishes, Mason Mitchell finally gets his first ARCA win.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:58 am 

momo1911 wrote:
Radials. Which is kinda funny cause I'm almost positive you can't even buy Hoosier radials!
Thanks for that. :)

When Mason started adjusting his brake bias to do a burnout, knew it had to be radials. Those old bias ply tires are about six inches wider than a radial tire and about three or four inches smaller in diameter. Have some samples of all in the back yard with tomato plants growing in them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:12 am 

Ayro wrote:
momo1911 wrote:
Thanks for that. :)

When Mason started adjusting his brake bias to do a burnout, knew it had to be radials. Those old bias ply tires are about six inches wider than a radial tire and about three or four inches smaller in diameter. Have some samples of all in the back yard with tomato plants growing in them.

That's awesome. When I talk about radials and bias-ply outside of a hardcore motorsports environment, people look at me like I'm speaking Japanese! I prefer the racing of bias plys on short tracks, but on the intermediates and speedways, tire management dominates over the talents of making the car go faster (see K&N Series at any track greater than 0.5 miles in length.) So radials are better for the big stuff, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:21 am 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

Just had a serious crash at Langley in the Modfieds..10 car spun..got drilled by the car on camera....kept going around into turn 3 with the throttle hung did donuts and smashed into I believe the leader.
http://www.fanschoice.tv/watch-live/nascar/langley

All drivers are out of the cars, though the one who hit a ton is in some pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why in the fuck are we having a standalone race at a track that is on the cup schedule? This is the smallest crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:34 am 

dr dog wrote:
Why in the fuck are we having a standalone race at a track that is on the cup schedule? This is the smallest crowd.

International Speedway Corporation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This would be a good time to go get some Hardees.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:52 am 

momo1911 wrote:
Ayro wrote:
momo1911 wrote:
Thanks for that. :) When Mason started adjusting his brake bias to do a burnout, knew it had to be radials. Those old bias ply tires are about six inches wider than a radial tire and about three or four inches smaller in diameter. Have some samples of all in the back yard with tomato plants growing in them.
That's awesome. When I talk about radials and bias-ply outside of a hardcore motorsports environment, people look at me like I'm speaking Japanese! I prefer the racing of bias plys on short tracks, but on the intermediates and speedways, tire management dominates over the talents of making the car go faster (see K&N Series at any track greater than 0.5 miles in length.) So radials are better for the big stuff, in my opinion.
Exactly, and as an example of that soft tire dependency... Earnhardt had a hard time adjusting to radials and hated them when they came into nascar. He called them "hockey pucks". I don't think he won a championship after the radials came into the deal and his win rate fell off too. Seems like the radials hit nascar in 1993, same year Gordon started Cup full time, but it coulda been later. The bias-ply tire wars of the late 80's in nascar hurt some drivers really bad. It was making Goodyear look really bad, otherwise any changes would have taken even longer. It was surprising Hoosier was even let into the game. In the long run it made more money for the France family, of course, so there ya go.

FWIW, Earnhardt called the black tire marks on the outside walls "pucker marks".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:54 am 

K_Sherman wrote:
This would be a good time to go get some Hardees.
Just take multiple doses of Ex-Lax or eat five tablespoons of mustard; same result.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hornish goes kaboom.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Must have the r&d setup in there this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:07 am 

Quote:
Exactly, and as an example of that soft tire dependency... Earnhardt had a hard time adjusting to radials and hated them when they came into nascar. He called them "hockey pucks". I don't think he won a championship after the radials came into the deal and his win rate fell off too. Seems like the radials hit nascar in 1993, same year Gordon started Cup full time, but it coulda been later. The bias-ply tire wars of the late 80's in nascar hurt some drivers really bad. It was making Goodyear look really bad, otherwise any changes would have taken even longer. It was surprising Hoosier was even let into the game. In the long run it made more money for the France family, of course, so there ya go.

FWIW, Earnhardt called the black tire marks on the outside walls "pucker marks".

That's some cool information. Doesn't surprise me about Earnhardt, guy was always stubborn. Seems like he had a good handle on the newer cars and tires by the time he passed. I believe he could have won one or two more chapionships if things had turned out differently. Although, from what I've read, I thought the Hoosiers were softer, grippier and more prone to failure, while the Goodyears were harder and more durable. When I read that teams were buying sets of both and using them interchangeably, I realized there's only room for one tire in NASCAR. Whether that should be Goodyear, is up for debate.

Also, back on topic, these Nationwide cars seem like they COULD put on a good show, but when they all have precisely 589 hp, there won't be much passing. In oval track racing, power=passing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:07 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Gael wrote:
Have you done the In-N-Out animal style fries? Those are pretty good.. but yeah Five Guys' fries are awesome.

Oh yeah, I have. Nothing like cheese, grilled onions, and special sauce on top of shoestring fries.

Fuck, I'm craving for it now, but Tustin's still relatively new to me...closest one I can think of is in Santa Ana near my workplace.

And, yes, I agree, Five Guys fries is better than In-N-Out's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

momo1911 wrote:

Also, back on topic, these Nationwide cars seem like they COULD put on a good show, but when they all have precisely 589 hp, there won't be much passing. In oval track racing, power=passing.

It's as I've said before, all the cars are so equal there's no strengths or weaknesses in them any more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gael wrote:
Have you done the In-N-Out animal style fries? Those are pretty good.. but yeah Five Guys' fries are awesome.

Yeah, they're not bad, but I prefer just cheese fries from there for some reason.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next