TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1638 639 640 641 6421060 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 am 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

de31168 wrote:
Yet he fails to mention that in the largest field the series sees and its biggest and most prestigious race.. the Indianapolis 500.. she has amazing statistics. In 7 starts at the Brickyard she had 5 top 10 starts and 6 top 10 finishes against the toughest 33 cars they have. 19 was a small field? Uh most of the 2005-2007 fields were 18-20 cars. It was a fluke win on fuel mileage? I'm certain that Richard Petty or David Pearson or A.J. Foyt never ever won a race on fuel mileage... give me a break. A win is a win. She'll make victory lane before her career is over. Hell Michael Waltrip was 0 for 462 before Dale hired him. Why did Pennzoil sponsor him so long? Why would he have a ride when he never won? How did Ken Schrader stay in the sport so long with so few wins yet he drove for Rick Hendrick? She is just starting her second full year of Sprint Cup racing, give it a chance.

Indy is way less talent-dependent than a lot of other tracks on the schedule. And it was definitely a fluke victory especially considering half the teams were in Long Beach for the split event the same day.

And Waltrip's only Cup wins have been on plate tracks. Races that he probably could've well won with other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:42 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

de31168 wrote:
It was a fluke win on fuel mileage? I'm certain that Richard Petty or David Pearson or A.J. Foyt never ever won a race on fuel mileage... give me a break. A win is a win. She'll make victory lane before her career is over.

Richard Petty won 200 Cup races. David Pearson won 105 Cup races. AJ Foyt won 67 IndyCar races. Danica has one win since karts that came on fuel mileage.

de31168 wrote:
Hell Michael Waltrip was 0 for 462 before Dale hired him. Why did Pennzoil sponsor him so long? Why would he have a ride when he never won? How did Ken Schrader stay in the sport so long with so few wins yet he drove for Rick Hendrick? She is just starting her second full year of Sprint Cup racing, give it a chance.

Michael spent 24+ seasons in Nascar because was ass kisser and seen as decent middle of the pack driver. Ken Schrader scored 4 wins and finished 6x in the Top 10 in points in nine seasons with Hendrick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:21 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
She did unfortunately, the team shut down. But yeaa in better equipment she would show something more. Danica was in good equipment, Johanna was in part time equipment and ran ahead of her plenty of times. Difference is that Johanna didn't wear a swimsuit and get photographed sprawling over a car.

Actually I did read somewhere that Johanna may be getting some NNS races with JR Motorsports this season. Hopefully that happens and she can do a shitload better than what Danica did in those cars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:54 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Danica is where she is because she is mainly because she is a perfect marketing platform. 2nd, because she is a half-decent driver.

Danica's background is light and nimble open-wheelers. She is struggling so badly in NASCAR because, just like most other drivers with the same background, her driving style doesn't fit the style of racing, and that she is nowhere is good as JPM or Allmendinger.

Danica is not at all the most capable female driver around.

Danica is not at all a good role-model for young female driver's or for female interest in motorsport.

I'm all for more female interests in motorsport, but the motorsport world is way too sexist for it to happen overnight. Danica is very much a part of that system of sexism that has been consolidated for some time now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplaash wrote:
Danica is where she is because she is mainly because she is a perfect marketing platform.

yup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Unfortunately the PR comes before the driving skill.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Unfortunately the PR comes before the driving skill.

Yup, and that goes for male drivers as well. Danica has the edge because she's "attractive" (I think she is, but I'm a butt\leg guy and not everyone is :lol: ) and it's way more obvious with her because she's struggled. I honestly do think she's trying to get better, and I think she will, but she's no JPM or Tony Stewart by any stretch of the imagination.

Bottom line... bless her heart for trying. haha

Also, Johanna Long with JR Motorsports for some races??? Whaaaaat? That's awesome. Now there's the shot we've all been waiting for, if it's indeed true. Time to see what she's really made of!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really hope that Johanna makes the most of this chance (if it is true). Whilst her finishes in Nationwide aren't amazing, she seems to do as well as anyone else who drove that car, if not better.

And whilst driving a car should never ever be about looks, I personally think Johanna is better looking than Danica anyway, and no doubt a nicer person. She tends to smile for a start.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Women will do just fine in racing as soon as one with actual talent gets a shot in good equipment. And I mean a real shot, not just one race. Give a girl with some real talent a full season in a good car.

Danica is not the worst driver in the field. That's all I'll say on that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whatever happened to Erin Crocker (besides Ray Evernham)? She seemed like she was on her way up, then just flat out disappeared.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:24 pm 

westracing01 wrote:
Women will do just fine in racing as soon as one with actual talent gets a shot in good equipment. And I mean a real shot, not just one race. Give a girl with some real talent a full season in a good car.

+1 x2.

The reason so few women have done well in motorsports is saturation. The Michelle Mouton's and Ellen Lohr's are few and far between.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Crocker was brought up on dirt, too... that's usually the way to go if you're looking for a career in stock cars (whereas it used to be a stepping stone for Indy cars), and she did alright in ARCA. Almost won a few races, too. She kinda hit a rough patch in the Truck and Busch Series, but you're right, instead of sticking to it - which, again, you have to give Danica credit for - she just disappeared.

Maybe she was sick of all the "you only have a ride because you married Ray Evernham" BS she undoubtedly would've had to put up with. *shrugs*

She's cute, too. haha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Where is the source of Johanna driving for JR Motorsports? Just curious because that'd be awesome for her.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The two "sources" of this information seem to be a Facebook group and Racing-Reference... those are fantastic sources, IMO. :lol:

The rumor suggests that she and Jeb Burton are up for a few races with JRM. I hope it's true for both of them, but I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Erin was probably asked by Ray to stop racing, after they were together? You always worry about your race car driver spouse, more so if it's a woman.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:

Out of interest, who would you say was worse?

David Gilliland or David Ragan? They scored just as many points in considerably worse equipment.
David Reutimann? He has won in NASCAR.
Travis Kvapil? He has a Truck championship to his name.
Michael Mcdowell? Has a decent junior formula record and is unlucky to be parking every week.
Blaney? He's only won a sprint car championship.
Casey Mears? Finished well clear of Danica in a far smaller team. Didn't have a great time at Hendrick but looked capable of winning at Ganassi.
Paul Menard? Yeah, he's there because of money, but actually runs fairly well a lot of the time.
David Stremme? Has a decent Nationwide record.
J.J Yeley? Won titles on his way to NASCAR.
Scott Speed? Never set the world on fire in F1, but finishing 3rd in the GP2 championship suggests he wasn't crap.
Timmy Hill? Possibly, but he's still young, and at least won titles in karting.

And I don't think you can count people like Schrader or Labonte, even if they are well past their peak. Their records speak for themselves.

So yeah, I'd personally say she is the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Andre wrote:
The two "sources" of this information seem to be a Facebook group and Racing-Reference... those are fantastic sources, IMO. :lol:

The rumor suggests that she and Jeb Burton are up for a few races with JRM. I hope it's true for both of them, but I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

Well, if this.tells you something, ESPN reported the rumor as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Danica is just the Female Dale Jr, NASCAR loves their "stories" over "talent"

The arguments about her always seem to go the same way, full of genuine sexism, dislike of her as a person, positive discrimination, accurate representation of her career stats, PR schmaltz and more positive discrimination of other females by people desperate to prove they're not sexist.

Bloody minefield tbh.

Bottom line though, it's a sport, the cream will rise to the crop, all we have to do is give everyone an equal opportunity to get to the start line, regardless of their background, and the racing will be the true acid test.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you'd ever met her, you wouldn't like her either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

She does seem like a closed-off, Type A personality. Very straightforward, not fun-loving at all.

In all seriousness, you'd probably get the same impression of me if you caught me at the wrong time. In racing (and in her career especially), there have been plenty of wrong times. :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1638 639 640 641 6421060 Next