TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1626 627 628 629 6301060 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Underdogfan wrote:
Guess that was the case in the old days in 2nd round qualifing, even if you had a pole running lap, you'd only get 26th..idk seems pretty intense to me

yea it was like that in the 80s. They had two rounds of qualifying. Usually the top 20(sometimes 15 depending on track and entry list) were locked in after day one. There were cases in which after the 2nd round of qualifying, the fastest car(who would start 21st no matter what) would actually be quicker than the pole sitter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Woodski wrote:
Underdogfan wrote:
This absolutley baffles me...So slowest speeds are tacked in the first round, and the pole wont be know till the 3rd? guess Ill have to see it in action. What does this mean for the Duels?

Have you ever watched Formula One qualifying since about 2006?

It's just like that.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, the 1.25+ mile tracks definitely.. the short tracks is a bit different, but I think I like this idea.

Like already mentioned, the Daytona 500 and Eldora qualifying layouts wont change.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That sort of format on an oval is very different to on a road course. Qualifying crashfests, backup cars galore and surprise DNQs incoming. I can't wait for the fallout when Junior gets caught up in a wreck with a poorly handling start and parker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A big one in quali, imagine that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Five minutes seems like a very short final session for the large tracks. I'm assuming cautions freeze the clock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dr dog wrote:
Five minutes seems like a very short final session for the large tracks. I'm assuming cautions freeze the clock.

Yeaa, stops with the red flag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wreckinturn4 wrote:
Underdogfan wrote:
Guess that was the case in the old days in 2nd round qualifing, even if you had a pole running lap, you'd only get 26th..idk seems pretty intense to me

yea it was like that in the 80s. They had two rounds of qualifying. Usually the top 20(sometimes 15 depending on track and entry list) were locked in after day one. There were cases in which after the 2nd round of qualifying, the fastest car(who would start 21st no matter what) would actually be quicker than the pole sitter.

It was like that way after the 80s! I'm trying to remember what years, but the Daytona 500 even had 3rd round qualifying if I remember right, when they had cars on track of different series every day for a week and a half. In 2000 Brett Bodine set the track record at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and started 26th because he did it during second round qualifying. In 2001 they did away with it with the new TV deal.

Also Kenny Brack was the fastest 500 qualifier in 2005 and started 23rd and Arie Luyendyk set the 1 and 4 lap records in 1996 and started 20th. The fastest car doesn't always start first!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Snider and Stavast join NBC Sports: NBC Sports Group has reached agreements with motorsports reporters Marty Snider and Kelli Stavast, who will contribute to NBC Sports' upcoming NASCAR studio and live race coverage on NBC and NBCSN. Snider and Stavast, each of whom have years of motorsports experience, will operate out of Charlotte, N.C., home to many of the sport's race teams and drivers. The appointments of Snider and Stavast follow previous NBC Sports NASCAR on-air announcements pertaining to new lead race announcer Rick Allen and analysts Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte. There are no further broadcaster-related announcements expected in the near term.

In addition to his NASCAR duties, Snider will continue as lead pit reporter on NBC's IndyCar coverage. Snider's relationship with NBC Sports extends several years and covers multiple sports, including NASCAR, IndyCar, Football Night in America, the Beijing Olympic Games and Professional Bull Riding. Snider has been a pit reporter for TNT's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series coverage since 1998. In addition to his NASCAR duties, he also contributes to Turner's NCAA Men's Division 1 Championship and NBA Playoff coverage. Snider co-produced HBO's 24/7 series featuring Jimmie Johnson and co-hosted The Morning Drive on SiriusXM's NASCAR channel. Snider was raised in High Point, N.C. and currently lives in Charlotte.

Stavast started her broadcasting career as a sports anchor at an NBC affiliate in Colorado before shifting to the field as a TV reporter. Her first motorsports assignment surrounded Championship Off Road Racing for NBC and SPEED. Over the last several years, Kelli has covered NASCAR's GRAND-AM and Whelen Modified Tour, the Baja 1000, Red Bull Air Race and Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. Previously, she served as a reporter for ABC/ESPN and FOX, covering American Le Mans Series and Stadium Super Trucks. Stavast is also a reporter for NBC's auto show coverage from Los Angeles, New York and Detroit. Originally from Colorado, Stavast now resides in Charlotte, N.C.(NBC Sports)(1-22-2014)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

So with the qualifying, i can see people trying to get a Tow even on the 1.5 Mile tracks and getting an unfair advantage. And the Qualifying sessions at Daytona and Talladega are going to be full of crashes......should be good for some laughs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This new format does take out some variables in qualifying. The luck of the draw factor is out the window. Nobody will have the advantage of a cooler track, depending on their qualifying draw. It's going do definitely even out the playing field in terms of track conditions go. As a fan, I'd rather see a session like this compared to watching one car qualify at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will they still be locking in the top 35 in points? Or however it worked recently. I can't imagine the points leader being wrecked in qualifying and not making the race.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

7 spots (37-43) are made up by provisionals available to the top 35 in points - so if enough guys high up in points get wrecked in qual, you could see someone in the top 20 DNQ.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't see how this is much different from the end of a Friday practice session when everyone is making mock quali runs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
I don't see how this is much different from the end of a Friday practice session when everyone is making mock quali runs.

I saw that aspect of it too, plus I also remember Michael McDowell being the fastest in happy hour at Martinsville one year in the Phil Parsons entry, just simply because he got out on track first before anyone else and had a clear track.

The strategy for every track other than DEGA and Daytona is going to be to try to get out on track in a spot where no other cars are around you basically.

Now all we need are 10 place grid penalties for stalling the driver behind you and we'll be all set. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cartman wrote:
Quote:
Snider and Stavast join NBC Sports: NBC Sports Group has reached agreements with motorsports reporters Marty Snider and Kelli Stavast, who will contribute to NBC Sports' upcoming NASCAR studio and live race coverage on NBC and NBCSN. Snider and Stavast, each of whom have years of motorsports experience, will operate out of Charlotte, N.C., home to many of the sport's race teams and drivers. The appointments of Snider and Stavast follow previous NBC Sports NASCAR on-air announcements pertaining to new lead race announcer Rick Allen and analysts Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte. There are no further broadcaster-related announcements expected in the near term.

In addition to his NASCAR duties, Snider will continue as lead pit reporter on NBC's IndyCar coverage. Snider's relationship with NBC Sports extends several years and covers multiple sports, including NASCAR, IndyCar, Football Night in America, the Beijing Olympic Games and Professional Bull Riding. Snider has been a pit reporter for TNT's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series coverage since 1998. In addition to his NASCAR duties, he also contributes to Turner's NCAA Men's Division 1 Championship and NBA Playoff coverage. Snider co-produced HBO's 24/7 series featuring Jimmie Johnson and co-hosted The Morning Drive on SiriusXM's NASCAR channel. Snider was raised in High Point, N.C. and currently lives in Charlotte.

Stavast started her broadcasting career as a sports anchor at an NBC affiliate in Colorado before shifting to the field as a TV reporter. Her first motorsports assignment surrounded Championship Off Road Racing for NBC and SPEED. Over the last several years, Kelli has covered NASCAR's GRAND-AM and Whelen Modified Tour, the Baja 1000, Red Bull Air Race and Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. Previously, she served as a reporter for ABC/ESPN and FOX, covering American Le Mans Series and Stadium Super Trucks. Stavast is also a reporter for NBC's auto show coverage from Los Angeles, New York and Detroit. Originally from Colorado, Stavast now resides in Charlotte, N.C.(NBC Sports)(1-22-2014)

I for one, am very excited to have more Kelli Stavast on my TV screen. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess the one difference is in F1 knockout qualifying nobody DNQs. We'll know after the first 25 minute session who is going home though. Drama all around. I'm sure the strategy will come into play with only getting to use one set of tires. Be just good enough to advance, then save the money lap for the last session and hope it's enough. Then again with the way these races play out with the debris cautions and lucky dogs, do teams really care where they qualify? I don't know how many will really "push it to the limit" for the glory of a pole position. Esp risking tearing up a good car in qualifying.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They'll still push it, because track position is everything in NASCAR now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Clusterfuck at Dega will be amusing with everyone trying to get a giant tow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can imagine a 4 car team like SHR going out in a single file line and just playing leap frog. Go out in formation, have one car drop back coming off turn 4 do a lap then catch back up as the lead car drops out of line and falls back and does their lap.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1626 627 628 629 6301060 Next