TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1624 625 626 627 6281060 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Starlancer wrote:
Yeah, Brian France's retarded dream of taking the NFL. The singular thought that has all but destroyed this sport.

Kinda makes you wish he had gone through with buying the Rams a few years back and leaving NASCAR for good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
K_Sherman wrote:
I know this would never happen but somebody on another forum mentioned the idea of all the big NASCAR teams getting fed up with NASCAR, and ditching them completely and all joining ARCA.

They may just form a union and stand up to NASCAR.

Who knows, third time's the charm? Brian France is more useless than Bill France Sr. and Jr.

I've also been thinking of some sort of a team revolt/breakaway recently but there's an important factor we're all overlooking: the teams don't actually seem to hate all this shit like we do. At least, there's no overt indication that they do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:20 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Breakaway series: always result in making the sport stronger.

Tony George is a known idiot. A breakaway series in AOWR in 1996 could have worked, provided if the schedule isn't all ovals and the full-time entry list isn't full of Americans.

Arguably Indycar was in a much stronger position in the 1990s than NASCAR is now though. The split is what let NASCAR through the middle into becoming the dominant form of motorsport in the US, don't forget.

A split would do nothing but harm for the entire sport. Fans just won't pay to see two separate races with half the stars (they'll probably just go to the one Dale Jr is in ) so it'd just dilute the entire brand.

As sucky as NASCAR is, it could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Much as I would love to see it, there's nothing remotely indicating a breakaway series. I don't see any of the teams, drivers or sponsors complaining about these changes. NASCAR these days is less a professional sport and more a long running sitcom doing whatever it takes to keep ratings. These guys know without NASCAR they'd be running regional series and barely breaking even, so they'll follow the storyline no matter how bad it gets until it ends.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:06 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Yea as long as the teams make money nobody cares. Honestly if I was pulling in a cool couple million a year running in 14th every weekend. I'm not going to rock the boat either. The drivers priorities?

1: don't get killed
2: get money
3: fuck bitches

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What about the fact that ISC owns so many of the tracks in this country? If there was a split I highly doubt ISC would let the series run on their tracks.

But I guess that would open options to run at some real race tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tristar 7AT wrote:
Yea as long as the teams make money nobody cares. Honestly if I was pulling in a cool couple million a year running in 14th every weekend. I'm not going to rock the boat either. The drivers priorities?

1: don't get killed
2: get money
3: fuck bitches

MERICA!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If NASCAR is looking for suggestions on what to call the new format, I'd nominate "Chase For the Cup: The Elimination Chamber".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It looks like Ben Kennedy isn't going to be the only full-time driver running for Rookie of the Year in the truck series. This is from Jayski.com

Quote:
•Mingus full-time with WinTron in 2014: Officials from Win-Tron Racing announced today that the team will compete in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series full-time this season with Rookie of the Year contender Mason Mingus. Mingus, 19, will drive the team's #35 entry in all 22 races this year, beginning with next month's season-opener, the NextEra Energy Resources 250 from Daytona International Speedway on February 21. Win-Tron Racing, headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina, will convert from Chevy to Toyota for Mingus's freshman NASCAR season. The team also announced that Call 811 Before You Dig will return as the primary marketing partner this season.

It looks like Frank Kimmel is taking over Mingus' seat in ARCA while Mingus gets a shot in the truck series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to the points shakeup, I initially groaned and groaned about it... but what's the use? It looks like it's going to happen regardless of what I\we think, unfortunately. I'm going to try and look at the positives.

That first year of the Chase was intense, I don't care who you are. The drivers kinda went in with the same attitude as they had in '03, and getting to Homestead was a shit-show for some drivers that were still in the hunt. When '07 or so rolled around, drivers knew that the first 26 races were merely a stepping stone (whereas everything but the last race in the old system was just a stepping stone). The 48 figured out how to make the Chase and focus on getting ready for those last 10 races, and it was (for some reason) game over for everyone else from there.

With this new format, it's going to be go-go-go, all the time. I may not be happy about it right now, but come September, I'll probably still be glued to my seat, hoping that what I'm about to see is exciting.

But, then again, as I've said countless times, if they fix the quality of the racing and minimize the effects of the aero push, I'll gladly watch no matter what the format will be. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm just waiting for when NASCAR decides to stop the race so they can have someone come out and explain to the casuals why someone gets a penalty for speeding on pit road.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NASCAR should have a fan vote for which Championship format is used. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last man standing stickybomb fight/race a la GTA V at Homestead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leno crack a joke like that. I hope he does so the laughing stock that is NASCAR gets the limelight it so badly seems to need during football season..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've read a few articles similar to this today, but this one is definitely the best:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66 ... or-the-cup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That is a good article. Pretty much echos what most of us seem to be thinking.

I'm frustrated by how changing the rules each year (sometimes drastically) has an affect on previous years' championships or the way we think of them. Each year we argue about who would've won under the old system. If this keeps changing every year, like how they change the all star race every year, our heads will explode and who can really tell anymore who deserves the title. I already value a chase title less than a championship under the "old system" (we'll save that debate for later) but this new system is just so silly I don't think the winner actually deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as "real" past champions. Imagine JJ breaking the record under this system. Or Denny or Earl winning this crap. What value does it have? It's frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also, if it will be a winner takes all thing in the final race, the final race should rotate to different tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, that article nails it. Hope it reaches NASCAR brass. Seriously, if the Chase and its bastard variants were such a great idea, wouldn't atleast one major series other than the NHRA have adopted it, after ten years of its existence? And even for the NHRA it makes some sense as it's one on one like stick n ball sports are.

Brain talks about simplifying things for the fans. What could be simpler than guy with most points at the end of all races run = champion? Where the viewers expect each race they watch to carry equal points weightage instead of a goddamn increasingly convoluted system that the announcers have to harp on about during the races more than they talk about the actual racing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If they went back to the old system, the marketing is simple. "Every turn matters." Blah blah blah. Boom, easy, done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I for one welcome this new, proposed, points system. I think it's great and I think it's something that American racing has needed for quite some time now.

Finallity. Proof, for all to see, in every sports rag and highlight show, at every water cooler, coffee pot, Mayberry garage and online forum that NASCAR as a leadership body has completely lost touch with it's fans and hasn't any sort of grasp on reality or it's position within the sports or entertainment world.

This can only lead to good things for other racing series that aren't stuck on the miguided belief that they can rise to the top of the sports heap to compete against the NFL, MLB or NBA.

NASCAR: Showing the rest of the world how to fuck up a perfectly good thing since 2004.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1624 625 626 627 6281060 Next