TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2UncleanerLake53 wrote:
Here the same with Alonso, and no further action warranted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W9ojuNvqWc#t=2m15s

I think @
micha
has hit the nail on the head just above me. These incidents are generally assessed in context. For Rosberg, it is the latest in a series of clumsy moves. For Perez, it was an under-pressure driver, not generally known for being aggressive, being publicly told by his team to be more aggressive. Had he driven like this in future races, I'm sure penalties would have followed.

@
Talladega
mentioned intelligence and I think this has a lot to do with it. Drivers can and do get away with hard racing, because generally they are experienced or massively talented, and can give and take enough. Witness Alonso and Vettel, or Hamilton with most people. Rosberg didn't help his case here by failing to turn the wheel and sailing past the apex. Had he turned in, pulled ahead and parked Max off the track, it would have been waved off as 'teaching him a lesson' for his braking idiocy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
I think @
micha
has hit the nail on the head just above me. These incidents are generally assessed in context. For Rosberg, it is the latest in a series of clumsy moves. For Perez, it was an under-pressure driver, not generally known for being aggressive, being publicly told by his team to be more aggressive. Had he driven like this in future races, I'm sure penalties would have followed.

@
Talladega
mentioned intelligence and I think this has a lot to do with it. Drivers can and do get away with hard racing, because generally they are experienced or massively talented, and can give and take enough. Witness Alonso and Vettel, or Hamilton with most people. Rosberg didn't help his case here by failing to turn the wheel and sailing past the apex. Had he turned in, pulled ahead and parked Max off the track, it would have been waved off as 'teaching him a lesson' for his braking idiocy.
We basicly don't see eye to eye. Previous penalties should be forgotten as the penalty was because of the involving incident. That's the ground points-system and reprimands do exist.

1st - Rosberg brakes late and has the inside
2nd - Verstappen realises it and makes a late move under braking (HERE there is history)
3rd - Consequently, Rosberg gets a much tighter line into the hairpin (AS A RESULT) and barely makes the corner
4th - Verstappen goes wide

To sum up: Rosberg had the inside line, and only last-gasp move from Verstappen (under braking) forced a weird line into the hairpin for Rosberg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you rewatch the incar replay of Rosberg you see that he doesn't steer at all until he himself nearly is at the end of the track. There wasn't a visible lockup either.
That's most likely the part that got him the penalty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
If you rewatch the incar replay of Rosberg you see that he doesn't steer at all until he himself nearly is at the end of the track. There wasn't a visible lockup either.

I wonder, where in the rules does it states you cannot use all the track you want to use? If there would have been a wall, what would Verstappen have done? Braked a lot earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
micha wrote:

I wonder, where in the rules does it states you cannot use all the track you want to use? If there would have been a wall, what would Verstappen have done? Braked a lot earlier.

The rules do say you cannot force another driver of the track.

- You see him steer in very late
- He already raked up a few penalties over similar dumb moves

The stewards cannot pull him aside and ask him about the situation and they pretty much have to make a decision on the spot.
They watch the replays, they consider the last few weeks and then it's very logical they come to this decision.
Steering in late does suggest it was intentional.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am not convinced.

For me this is overtaking, although on the limit and a bit dodgy, but I prefer this than a simple DRS move.

Max has done some fantastic overtakings in the past, but often it was thanks with a lot of goodwill of the other driver.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not convinced it was intentionally either but just saying that Rosberg acts like a frustrated driver who lost his momentum. he raked up other dumb penalties in the last few races as well.

Without those he most likely been in the clear but now the scale tipped to the other side for the stewards.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
micha wrote:

This isn't explicitly stated in the rules, but AIUI it is only assumed to apply to the driver who has clear track position. It doesn't give someone the right to walk another car off the track, and this is precisely what the rules were beefed up to prevent.

I think it was a harsh penalty, especially having now seen the video (thanks @
2UncleanerLake53
!), but I still reckon he would have gotten away with it had he attempted to turn in earlier. If it looked like he was trying to make the corner, it would have been easy to claim that Max forced him to run wide.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15