TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78207 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
The issue is if he suffered a second concussion, it could lead to serious complications. Physically, he is fine. But the brain is complex and we're still learning a lot about it.

By the time the Australian GP happens it'll almost be at the 21 day recommended period, but it's better to err on the side of caution.

There's no conspiracy going on, whatever people like to think.

Bingo. If you get two concecutive concussions, you could very well have symptoms for the rest of your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm 
The most anticipated member

Three times World Champion Nelson Piquet is coming back. He'll compete in Porsche Cup series in 2015 season.

This is amazing because I'll have an unique opportunity to see him driving in Interlagos. I thought I'd never see Piquet Senior driving again. It feels like watching Michael Jordan coming back to a masters championship. At least it feels like that.

I had already watched Emmo Fittipaldi driving in Interlagos, now it's Piquet Senior. Amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:36 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

If they knew he had a concussion, they knew then and there he would get the advice to not race in Melbourne. He knows he has no chance to win that elusive third world title. And he never will. If any rumbling with Ron Dennis starts, my bet is on Alonso retiring or taking a sabbatical.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Fish88 wrote:
This reminds me a bit of the Montoya (bike/tennis) incident in 2005, that was also kinda fishy.

everybody knows that he was riding his bike at the tennis court, while playing tennis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So who will replace him? Mags?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm hoping that Phil is right and there isn't some issue that we don't know about.

It reminds me of Ralf Schumacher. I think he had a big testing accident at Monza one season and ended up missing a race. Then when he had his accident at Indy, he suffered another concussion. I think another big accident after this would have been very dangerous, so he sat out several more races.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well I'll be damned. I was heavily critical of the media throughout and it turns out they were largely correct. And now I'm starting to think that if I was wrong on the media about this, then perhaps I've got the Dailymail all wrong as well? *gulp*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
Well I'll be damned. I was heavily critical of the media throughout and it turns out they were largely correct. And now I'm starting to think that if I was wrong on the media about this, then perhaps I've got the Dailymail all wrong as well? *gulp*

No, you're not wrong about *that* publication. Don't worry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm sure that an experienced driver like Alonso wouldn't lose his car with 135kph in a 235kph corner.
The wind can't be the cause, unless the McLaren is very fragile. A helicopter couldn't land in the described conditions.
An F1 car (rim) would probably resist 30g at that speed and not damage the driver.
Vettel has changed his statement, probably under pressure from somebody?
Also, why would they keep him in the hospital for 3 days?
I still think that Alonso has suffered something comparable to a heart attack or a small stroke.
But in the end, I am sure that someone is hiding something from us.

I don't like conspiracy, but this time it seems obvious that something is wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:19 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Or maybe everyone is just fucking confused, including McLaren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well considering he'd run wide, yeaa he can lose his car at that speed. :slaphead:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

acopip wrote:
I'm sure that an experienced driver like Alonso wouldn't lose his car with 135kph in a 235kph corner.
The wind can't be the cause, unless the McLaren is very fragile. A helicopter couldn't land in the described conditions.
An F1 car (rim) would probably resist 30g at that speed and not damage the driver.
Vettel has changed his statement, probably under pressure from somebody?
Also, why would they keep him in the hospital for 3 days?
I still think that Alonso has suffered something comparable to a heart attack or a small stroke.
But in the end, I am sure that someone is hiding something from us.

I don't like conspiracy, but this time it seems obvious that something is wrong.

- The circuit is quite high up compared to the local area, which makes it exposed. It was very, very windy on that Sunday, plus the BBC now claims it was 135mph. If you look at Maldonado last year, it's simple to see how the accident could happen. If (we don't know) Alonso dipped a wheel on the astroturf at the precise moment a gust blew, then that explains it.

It's not the 30g (allegedly) that's the problem, it's the sustained pressure plus the likelihood that there was a second impact. He struck the wall at just precisely the wrong angle.

Vettel never really changed his story. People picked him up on being behind Alonso and using his information at a time when there was a bit of a strange atmosphere. Vettel emphasised later on that he was too far behind Alonso to see the start - what he probably saw was the moment before Alonso hit the wall, hence why it looked strange.

Keeping him in for three days? It seems excessive, but it's most likely erring on the side of caution and to ensure that everything was normal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:07 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

O HAI

while we wait for the season to start lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:11 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

p.s Alonso just lost control of the car, it was testing, car is unpredictable and it's capabilities/limits are unknown till you drive it around, it happens ffs. The wind contributed to losing control, he over corrected and hit the wall. Big deal. He's probably just sulking and making it look like something was wrong and he cba driving the shit thing cos of his ego failing at Ferrari and now gotta face the shame and struggle at Honda (ignore the last sentence if you're an Alonso fanboy, it's just my sarcastic opinion)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Misterfreeman87 wrote:
Mattzel89 wrote:
Sky's new pan-european F1 Trailer

[dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2id38d_2015-sky-formula-1-trailer-german-version_auto[/dailymotion]

Thats a shitty trailer. By the way, seems to me like german RTL isnt really advertising the new season at all, havnt seen any trailers in their program yet.

Another Sky Trailer

[dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2il6y0_sky-deutschland-2015-f1-trailer-ferrari_auto[/dailymotion]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

But did he run wide? If I remember correctly, Vettel saw strange movements from Alonso, not a driver error.
I don't deny that in testing, any driver could run wide and lose control, but at half speed? Driving into the wall without breaking?
Looks strange to me.
@
phil1993
: Okay, I saw the video, Vettel couldn't see the accident perfectly.
The accident itself was hard because of the angle, and I agree that this alone can cause injuries, but I am not sure what happened before that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Video?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tbh I think 99% of the ZOMGconspiracy angle is down to a classic McLaren inability to manage the press. I mean seriously, how often do they fuck up their story in the interests of protecting the brand?

There is nothing odd about the concussion line.

- He hit the wall at an angle where the impact could be transmitted directly through the suspension and into the car - we know this because the car was only really damaged on the right-hand wheels and the wing. The lack of suspension damage indicates that the forces were transmitted into the car.
- He took two hard blows to the head. One from the rear wheel hitting, and another from the front. The marks on the wall bear this out.
- When the normal energy absorption doesn't happen, even a 'slow' crash can be very violent. If you've not read Martin Brundle's Working the Wheel, there's a passage where he shunts the Toyota GT1 before it was properly crash-ready, and he described it as the most painful accident in his entire career.
- Three days in a hospital for a concussion is not too odd. Only one source seemed to report 'intensive care', so we can probably dismiss that.
- As has been mentioned above, three weeks of rest isn't unusual either.

The more we learn about concussion, the more seriously we have taken it - look at Franchitti, for example. There are already rules in football and rugby to protect players from second events. I wouldn't be surprised if the FIA does something similar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Few questions remains a mystery to me.

Why there's only one skid mark before the car left the track? It's relatively long one too. If Alonso lost it in already reduced speed, then how come the impacts were so big and spread out?

15Gs were measured from Alonso's ear plug sensor. Is there a comparison of what 15Gs means in terms of concussion or brain injury? I know the brain is very sensitive for even the smallest hits, like falling down and landing on your head can kill you sensitive. But where is 15Gs compared to that?

Finally. Would Alonso use the crash as an excuse to avoid driving? I highly doubt that, but since the whole accident and media announcements seems to lack consistency (as is McLaren-Honda), is there more than just a unfortunate hit to the head? The rumor has it that Fernando was out for a while and afterwards thought he was driving a Ferrari at the time of the crash.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78207 Next