TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow negativity rulez TBK-Light

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love when people know what's going to happen beforehand. Tou should use that skill to make money instead of doing lame predictions on a message board.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yvan Muller WTCC champion 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Remember when people couldnt understand how Hamilton could move from McLaren to Mercedes?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

ellis wrote:
Was bored shitless this week, but did anybody notice how unprofessional the entire presentation was this race? The race graphics showed the wrong cars a lot, and a bunch of race graphics flashed up and disappeared like some noob hit the wrong button. The blue flags were wrong all race, and at one point Fernando Alonso (then second) was blue flagged. And now, this -

http://www.f1zone.net/news/chinese-race ... rly/31854/

Quote:
The result of the Chinese Grand Prix has been called two laps prematurely due to a bizarre mistake by officials at the circuit.
Race leader Lewis Hamilton was shown the chequered flag at the end of the 55th lap, rather than the 56th as required. Hamilton radioed his team on the final lap of the race to inform them of the error. But the race results have been listed as the running order at the end of the 54th lap due to Article 43.2 of the sporting regulations.

'Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the line before the signal was given', read the regulations.

The change means that Kamui Kobayashi's last gasp pass on Jules Bianchi for 17th place did not count.

It felt a wee bit amateur this week from the FIA, only a week or so since they decided that broken fuel sensors were good enough for getting teams disqualified. Slightly worrying down trend in quality this year.

Was this rule there in 2008? If the Brazilian flagwaver knew this rule, he would probably waved the flag at the last lap.
It will be a big farce if this things happens in a crucial race with last-lap pases.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It got me thinking about that as well. A rival team could probably sneak in wearing marshals gear and wave the flag prematurely if it gained them an advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, that race was pretty boring, but man, I was impressed by the strength of the 2 Williams and Alonso/Rosbergs cars, I thought for sure one, if not all of them would be DNFed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Regiotap wrote:
Was this rule there in 2008? If the Brazilian flagwaver knew this rule, he would probably waved the flag at the last lap.
It will be a big farce if this things happens in a crucial race with last-lap pases.

if that was in the 80's that would definately happen, but today is quite difficult to make a set up

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure they tried to wave the flag early when Prost was leading at Dijon in 1982. He was passed on the final lap, and then the flag was never waved, just in case he was able to get back ahead. Rosberg had to complete an extra lap or two to be sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
It got me thinking about that as well. A rival team could probably sneak in wearing marshals gear and wave the flag prematurely if it gained them an advantage.
I don't know who waved the flag today in China or what caused them to show it early, but what happened was inexcusable, whether they were a celebrity chequered flag waver (like Pele, who famously messed up the Brazil finish years ago) or an experienced start/finish-line flag marshal. But the blame doesn't necessarily lie with them, as they may only have been following instructions.

Like with Red Flags, a chequered flag is never waved during a race at a flag marshal's own discretion, it is only displayed at the command(direction) of the Clerk of the Course/Race Director (by way of landline/radio communication).

What phil1993 said is highly unlikely, but the point is more or less valid - the way the rules are written means that the race is at the mercy of the person who holds a chequered flag at the designated finish line. If it's in pouring rain and they decide to shake off the chequered flag on Lap 3 and oops hold it a bit too high (in view of the competitors)... too bad everyone, that's the race done.

It's for that reason that celebrities and other dignitaries should not EVER be given any role that may affect the outcome of an event.

This screwup is on the FIA, the Race Director, the Clerk of the Course, possibly the Head Communicator (marshals comm) and possibly the person waving the flag.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rhashana wrote:
This screwup is on the FIA, the Race Director, the Clerk of the Course, possibly the Head Communicator (marshals comm) and possibly the person waving the flag.

That would be Charlie Whiting then :excited:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I bet Marussia paid a lot of money for them to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Well, Luca Di Montazemalo said F1 needs shorter races. All fingers point to him tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:47 pm 

Ian-S wrote:
rhashana wrote:

That would be Charlie Whiting then :excited:
A part of me hopes it was his mistake. I used to respect him but for quite a few years now i've not been at all impressed with many of his decisions. His retirement is overdue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 pm 

From F1.com / post-race interview (Hamilton):
Quote:
Q: The only really big surprise I guess was getting the chequered flag a lap early - which could have tripped you up.
LH: That was very strange! I was thinking ‘am I seeing things?’ I looked up, I was coming across the line expecting to do another lap and all of a sudden I looked for a split second and I saw the flag, I lifted for a second and I saw there was no-one on the wall, so then I just kept going. I did lose a second or so. I asked the team, they said no, so I just kept going. Very, very strange. It was good to do another lap.

From F1.com post-race driver quotes (Kobayashi):
Quote:
"Finishing 18th isn't the final position we'd want, but after a really good battle with Jules I'm relatively pleased with how today's race went. However, it's a real shame that my move on him on the last lap now doesn't count.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I thought Charlie Whiting was the checked flag man for the past years

I remember when Senna used to win in Interlagos, the flag man was a hungarian called Mihaly Hidasy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Know i'm pretty late with that, but that made me laugh a whole lot.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16