TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1252 253 254 255 256261 Next

were you born before or after SPA 1991? (MSC F1 Debut)
Before 86%  86%  [ 190 ]
After 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Total votes: 220
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

OL BOB KUBICA, FRANK ALONSO, and PHIL MASSA are great nicknames used by David Hobbs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Jason wrote:
Unfortunately we don't all know Steve on a personal level because we wasn't at the Media Tent at Silverstone this year.

Ha, good one. But I heard it on Sky when Ted was doing his notebook, must have been around India time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The 2012 season review is on BBC1 at 1 today.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:18 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Woodski wrote:
OL BOB KUBICA, FRANK ALONSO, and PHIL MASSA are great nicknames used by David Hobbs.

I realise your post wasn't aiming for stringent linguistic accuracy - probably quite the opposite for effect - but never mind, I feel like posting this ... Frank would make him Francisco Alonso ... even the oft used Fred isn't quite right because Frederick would be Federico.

Fernando is equivalent to Ferdinand (origin: Germanic/that Scottish band) and probably would have entered Spanish at the time of the marriages between Spanish and Austrian monarchs in the mid-late Medieval period shortly before the Reconquest of one Fernando The Catholic (and Isabel ... The Catholic). According to the paragon of reliable information, Wikipedia, Ferdinand/Fernando can also equate to Vernon (origin: Channel 4 presenter) ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

So Vern Alonso then?

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Nothing like a nice dose of etymology in the morning. :p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Slam wrote:
So Vern Alonso then?

Probably ... it's also reasonably similar to Fer, which is what many Fernandos like to be called ... I think I've heard Andrea Stella use it.

Of course, people can call him whatever they like ... nobody actually thinks his real name is Fred so it doesn't really matter. It's just a nickname like Nando or any other ...

amq55 wrote:
Nothing like a nice dose of etymology in the morning. :p

Some days it really is what gets me up in the morning ... those days being 'working days' ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OS wrote:
Woodski wrote:

I realise your post wasn't aiming for stringent linguistic accuracy - probably quite the opposite for effect - but never mind, I feel like posting this ... Frank would make him Francisco Alonso ... even the oft used Fred isn't quite right because Frederick would be Federico.

Yes but this is David Hobbs that Woodski is referring to. Who's own nickname (Hobbs, not Woodski) should be "F*cking annoying tw*t who should really not be allowed on the TV". :thumbsup:

And that nickname is as well related to Hobbs as Frank Alonso is to Fernando.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:26 pm 

OS wrote:

Fernando is equivalent to Ferdinand (origin: Germanic/that Scottish band)

I already said the same thing on atlas about it as it annoyed me people refering to him as Fred as it is so ridicolously ovbious that Fred is a short for Frederik which is Frederico in Spanish, as you said. Still, people keep with that. :x It's also equally obvious that Fernando is Spanish's equivalent to Ferdinand(in English, as you also said) or, for instance, Ferdinando(in Italian)

just a little rant to end up the year :p

PS: nice to know I wasn't the only one pedantic about it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

Or Fernand in french :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:33 pm 

thanks for that, Mäth ;) never knew they had a version for this name in French

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:15 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

stimaro wrote:
Evenstar wrote:
Yo 'sup everyone, just dropping by to share a new video I made, second part coming soon :D

Nice movie, Evenstar. :thumbsup:

Part 2 :D

:flag:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:50 am 
2012 F1 Pick-Ems champion

Fantastic Videos Evenstar!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
OS wrote:
Woodski wrote:

Yes but this is David Hobbs that Woodski is referring to. Who's own nickname (Hobbs, not Woodski) should be "F*cking annoying tw*t who should really not be allowed on the TV". :thumbsup:

And that nickname is as well related to Hobbs as Frank Alonso is to Fernando.

David Hobbs is hysterical.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sources say Petrov will keep his seat at Caterham, poor Heikki.
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/439027/Petrov_set_to_stay_with_Caterham_for_2013

Pittsburgh Steelers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
He is pretty funny at times. Not much of a Formula 1 commentator though.

I actually like all the Speed guys (seems like I am in a minority here). Hobbs is a throw back to the old days of sports commentary where facts and knowing what the fuck you were talking about were not necessary requirements, and the fact that you could pretty much insult anyone without repercussions. See James Hunt, Murray Walker, Clive James, and for cricket the late great Tony Greig. Basically commentators who had the balls to call a spade a spade and make it funny and endearing at the same time, and although maybe highly offensive, somehow only uptight PC pricks who the remarks were not aimed at got offended. Sadly these commentators are long gone and what we have left is Johnathan Leggard types.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Brundle's still around, although only 4 people and a dog get to listen to him nowadays.

'That didn't work Michael, you hit the wrong part of him my friend.'

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Scotty wrote:
He is pretty funny at times. Not much of a Formula 1 commentator though.

I actually like all the Speed guys (seems like I am in a minority here). Hobbs is a throw back to the old days of sports commentary where facts and knowing what the fuck you were talking about were not necessary requirements, and the fact that you could pretty much insult anyone without repercussions. See James Hunt, Murray Walker, Clive James, and for cricket the late great Tony Greig. Basically commentators who had the balls to call a spade a spade and make it funny and endearing at the same time, and although maybe highly offensive, somehow only uptight PC pricks who the remarks were not aimed at got offended. Sadly these commentators are long gone and what we have left is Johnathan Leggard types.

You cannot compare Hunt, Walker and James with Hobbs. Not in a million years.

Murray Walker was incredibly professional and immensely detailed with his preparations, his commentary style was one of enthusiasm mixed with a huge knowledge of everything to do with the sport he was commentating on. His errors tended to be caused by his overexcitement, a quality that endeared him to many for years on end.

James Hunt was a playboy, a cad who would show up minutes before the off and yet would effortlessly be able to provide quality support to Murray Walker along with providing viewers a deep understanding of the sport he'd been involved with for his entire life.

Clive James was a comedian with a passion for the sport. His comedic skills aligned with his knowledge for the sport meant he was able to give viewers a unique perspective yet not be insulting to the intelligence of those watching.

Hobbs isn't any of these. He's been involved for many years but seems to just want to play the fool, thinking it is what his viewing public wants. Good humour is always welcome during races, but only on the odd occassion. His is constant and often irrelevant to the action. The lack of quality detail he provides is a great source of disappointment. This is not so much of a fuck you about knowing what you are talking about, but more of a fuck you to the listening audience. I'm sure if he dropped this charicature of a clown act he'd be very good.

Last edited by kals on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

See, I've tried to learn a little about the way F1 is presented in the US and I don't know if you feel the same, but NBC bought the rights from Speed and, from my perspective at least, they've transferred over all of the main 'personalities' from Speed TV. So what's going to be different?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On paper Phil, nothing looks to be different. What I have noticed in just over two seasons of watching F1 from a US audience standpoint, is how short changed we are.

The biggest challenge that the Speed crew have had over the years is that all bar Will Buxton are in a studio, not commentating at the event. From this perspective they are simply armchair commentators like you and I. They miss out of huge amounts of action (and atmosphere) as they are only reacting to one TV screen. And Will Buxton, despite being the only man on the ground is barely used. That's a pretty poor product right there. And from my understanding NBC won't be making much of a change with how they deliver the coverage.

It is all about money though, and Speed have been working for years on a limited budget. Compare this with Sky and BBC and the huge numbers of people they take to deliver content at every event, regardless of whether the event is live or time-delayed. The product is much better, more indepth and provides the viewers are greater sense of immersion in the action. If F1 wants to succeed in the US then the TV audience needs to be better catered for.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1252 253 254 255 256261 Next