TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This race had a huge amount of meh.

Instead of having Interlagos as the finale, to end the season with a bang, they have to host it there, where I can't remember a single race being worthy of remembering.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
there was 2012, when Vettel had to start at the back and Kimi asked to be left alone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
This race had a huge amount of meh.

Instead of having Interlagos as the finale, to end the season with a bang, they have to host it there, where I can't remember a single race being worthy of remembering.
2010 was fun too, but more because of the title decider. Then I remember even other title deciders held there were boring.

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Karan wrote:
Gaara wrote:
The only ones who could beat Hamilton next year are Verstappen and Leclerc, but I'm not holding my breath.

Both teams would have to make a revolutionary step forward over the winter which I can't see happening until 2021, because Mercedes just have tons of race pace in reserve as usual, it's a cake walk for their drivers.

Mercedes are already throwing all the money they have on R&D for 2021, don't expect them to be beaten when the regs change. And in case they feel they don't have it anymore, the board will decide to end the F1 program anyway. Quit while you're ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
They're having to overtake the old fashioned way AND they're managing it :ohmy:

Just thought I'd chime in here because a lot of people got excited for the non-DRS laps: the great battles we've seen (like Hulkenberg pulling a Trulli-train) were only exciting because the car in front was significantly slower. That kind of battle, does become more exciting without DRS, no doubt about it. They stay behind for more laps, and have to work hard for an opening.

However, the flip side of the coin is that between evenly matched cars, you'd have no hope of the battle even taking place, they would all just stall once at 1/1.5 seconds behind. So we should be careful what we wish for. DRS shall never be taken off, unless the dirty air problem is solved in the process, or it would just destroy any on-track podium battles we've seen all year long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm hoping the 2021 regs help the dirty air issue significantly and gets things closer to the current IndyCars. However, if it doesn't do enough and we still need some DRS help, I really hope they tweak things. I am okay with DRS being used to help the trailing car close the gap. I do not, however, enjoy DRS passes where the trailing car comes from a mile behind and easily drives by the other car on a long straight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Just thought I'd chime in here because a lot of people got excited for the non-DRS laps: the great battles we've seen (like Hulkenberg pulling a Trulli-train) were only exciting because the car in front was significantly slower. That kind of battle, does become more exciting without DRS, no doubt about it. They stay behind for more laps, and have to work hard for an opening.

there it goes, the key for great racing is to penalize the best teams for their success on the qualifying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Dan Belcher wrote:
I'm hoping the 2021 regs help the dirty air issue significantly and gets things closer to the current IndyCars. However, if it doesn't do enough and we still need some DRS help, I really hope they tweak things. I am okay with DRS being used to help the trailing car close the gap. I do not, however, enjoy DRS passes where the trailing car comes from a mile behind and easily drives by the other car on a long straight.

The key is the long straight.

Straights like China and Abu Dhabi are drive bys even without DRS, so it adds nothing there. Even Montreal mainly has people ahead before the braking zone into the final chicane

Hungary, however, has gone from being the worst race of the season to one of the best because of DRS, that's where it is most needed.

So it's a balance. I'm not sure why they switch it off at places where you CAN overtake and only use it on the tighter tracks where previously you couldn't, but there you go...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:51 am 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

codename_47 wrote:
Hungary, however, has gone from being the worst race of the season to one of the best because of DRS, that's where it is most needed.

That's not true, though, is it? Hungary's been one of the most interesting races on the calendar since long before DRS, because it's so twisty and abrasive. The reason it's become more interesting is because the calendar used to have a few circuits like this (the Nurburgring, Buenos Aires, new Kyalami, Jerez, Aida - there were loads) but it's now dominated by Tilke-style circuits with lots of high speed corners, wide straights, smooth road surfaces and sharp hairpins, and designers design cars specifically to be good at those. Having a circuit that doesn't have them throws a spanner in the works and creates weird results. And that's exactly why Zandvoort will be fun too, because it's very similar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am 

James B wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

That's not true, though, is it? Hungary's been one of the most interesting races on the calendar since long before DRS, because it's so twisty and abrasive. The reason it's become more interesting is because the calendar used to have a few circuits like this (the Nurburgring, Buenos Aires, new Kyalami, Jerez, Aida - there were loads) but it's now dominated by Tilke-style circuits with lots of high speed corners, wide straights, smooth road surfaces and sharp hairpins, and designers design cars specifically to be good at those. Having a circuit that doesn't have them throws a spanner in the works and creates weird results. And that's exactly why Zandvoort will be fun too, because it's very similar

I disagree, the only pre DRS race I remotely remember was the 2006 damp race.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hungary was always one of the worst tracks in the season. It is indeed only in recent years that we have had some good races on it. The drivers liked it because it was a fun lap to drive, but racingwise it sucked. Calling it one of the most interesting races on the calendar is like saying Stroll is one of the best drivers since Senna.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:18 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

It's rather interesting that people like Hungary. It came onto the calendar at the expense of the original Kyalami, then a year later the Osterreichring was abandoned.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I thought Hungary was added because Bernie wanted a share of the iron curtain money before it fell down

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I thought [Insert Country/Circuit] was added because Bernie wanted money

Edited for accuracy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan Belcher wrote:

This.

I wonder if the technology is there to tweak it further. e.g, when you use DRS to overtake somebody, the wing automatically closes as soon as you draw alongside. And then the driver being overtaken can use DRS as soon as they lose position. You could see some tactical re-passing on some of the longer straights.

I also like how the zones work in Abu Dhabi. I'm assuming there is a second detection point at the chicane, because if a driver was overtaken on the first straight, they had a chance to fight back on the second straight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:45 pm 

Fabs wrote:
James B wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

I disagree, the only pre DRS race I remotely remember was the 2006 damp race.

2003, 2008 and 2009 were all interesting on the basis of bizarre results, 2010 was fun, and 2007 had the pit lane dramas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
People have short memories, Hungary was by far the worst circuit on the calendar, pre-2006. Even 2007 was awful.

Even the Hungary races we remember ('86, '97) were boring for the most part.

Only one is pro Hungary. Not exactly representative for "the people".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the early races were good. 1989 had Mansell's charge with the famous pass on Senna. 1990 was a great battle between several drivers. A lot of incident and the battle for the win going right to the final lap.

Once the cars became more aero dependent in the late 90s and early 2000s, the racing there really did start to suck. I think it's more important to have cars that can race each other well on a variety of circuits, rather than building identical circuits to suit the cars. That's why I still have a soft spot for Hungary. It's something different at least.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:46 pm 

I don't disagree that it was bad before 2005/06ish. It's more that things changed between 2006 and 2011, not after 2011 - or, to be direct, Hungary being good now is nothing to do with DRS - it was getting much better before that. I don't think any circuit specifically has benefited from DRS - the crap ones are generally still crap, the ones with lots of overtaking now have even more

I'm not particularly anti-DRS btw - I just don't think it's worth creating arguments like that to justify its existence. For me, the argument in favour of DRS is "it helps generally"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Looking back on 2009-2013, it's amazing how much a full KERS charge could help defend against DRS

DRS wasn't the given it is now in that it'd mean an automatic pass, it was more 50/50 when the car in front saved its battery for the straight with DRS on (the car behind usually used up its kers to get within 1 second)

It's never been quite the same with ERS or whatever they do with the battery now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next