TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Respect amongst drivers (for one another, for danger in racing, and for one's life and others') is what we need, not steward interference.

Hamilton, Verstappen and Leclerc have all my trust with that. Let them do their job, they're demonstrated that they're good enough at it to be left alone. I am talking from a safety perspective, which is the main concern here and the argument that gets brought up regularly. 80kph clumsiness and wheel banging in hairpins is another subject that is less critical.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh wait, I have a solution, dedicated lanes at each corner approach. It just needs a few buckets of paint per track and you're done.

Inside lane, or outside lane. You choose yours 250m before the corner, then you're not allowed to cross it until the turn-in point towards the apex. Each driver brakes in their own lane. Pure, innocent, 200% fair racing that leaves nothing to be contested afterwards.

Et voilà!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They did that in South African V8's like 20+ years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Oh wait, I have a solution, dedicated lanes at each corner approach. It just needs a few buckets of paint per track and you're done.

Inside lane, or outside lane. You choose yours 250m before the corner, then you're not allowed to cross it until the turn-in point towards the apex. Each driver brakes in their own lane. Pure, innocent, 200% fair racing that leaves nothing to be contested afterwards.

Et voilà!

Didn't they have this in IndyCar a few years ago at a particular track? Cleveland or Mid Ohio or somewhere? IIRC people still ended up with penalties.

Regarding Vettel, it is sad to say but I agree that he seems to have lost his head. Seems a bit like when Graham Hill ended up failing to qualify at Monaco.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Even when he won those titles he was prone to doing dumb shit.

Only difference then was his car was so fast he was ever only battling the clock.

I remember this happening in 2010 when he managed to get even Button pissed with his poor driving. But it was his third season and he was 23 - which I think is understandable. But after that, I can't remember him being prone to mistakes during his spell at Red Bull.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Even when he won those titles he was prone to doing dumb shit.

Only difference then was his car was so fast he was ever only battling the clock.

I remember this happening in 2010 when he managed to get even Button pissed with his poor driving. But it was his third season and he was 23 - which I think is understandable. But after that, I can't remember him being prone to mistakes during his spell at Red Bull.

Multi 21 and the first lap of Brazil 2012 are two instances I can think of. Pretty sure there's a few more. But probably nowhere near the number of big errors he's made in the last few years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think Multi 21 is not about poor driving, but poor character.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What bothers me most about Vettel is that he refuses to take blame for anything. He crashes into someone and immediately goes on the radio "honestly, what was that guy doing". If he loses time when lapping other guys, he yells "blue flags, BLUE FLAGS!!!!!". Always the whining. It's never his fault. He always plays the victim.

At least when Hamilton whines over the radio, it's about his own car or decisions his own team made.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
What bothers me most about Vettel is that he refuses to take blame for anything. He crashes into someone and immediately goes on the radio "honestly, what was that guy doing". If he loses time when lapping other guys, he yells "blue flags, BLUE FLAGS!!!!!". Always the whining. It's never his fault. He always plays the victim.

At least when Hamilton whines over the radio, it's about his own car or decisions his own team made.

As when he was open about doubting the strategy in Hungary and thanking the team for the good call later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

By the way, Vettel has been so messy that if he gets punished for another dangerous incident within the next three races he will receive a race ban.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I wonder what will happen if they make the cars get close with each other and every single move will be followed by a radio message asking for penalties

all the calls involving the leaders yesterday were perfect, but I still believe that shutting up the radio transmission would be perfect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:
By the way, Vettel has been so messy that if he gets punished for another dangerous incident within the next three races he will receive a race ban.

We can already start speculating who they'll put in the Ferrari then. Hartley and Wehrlein are test drivers, but so is Giovanazzi and he has shown good pace in the last races. Or would they go as far as asking Kimi back for one race?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Common sense would say Kimi, he's not that prone to errors like Vettel and gets the job done

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:23 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Omega wrote:
I'm curious. Are the people that whine about Leclerc deserving a penalty the same that whined after Canada because the race was ruined with the penalty?

I'm on record as having found Canada to have been very entertaining. It was easily the funniest thing to have happened this year. All for penalties like that if they send everyone into a collective meltdown

Also what Leclerc was both more cut-and-dried dirty driving and far more dangerous. Montreal is not Monza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
EAS wrote:

We can already start speculating who they'll put in the Ferrari then. Hartley and Wehrlein are test drivers, but so is Giovanazzi and he has shown good pace in the last races. Or would they go as far as asking Kimi back for one race?

I heard the backup driver for Ferrari in such cases is Giovinazzi. And his replacement would be either Ericsson or Hartley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
Omega wrote:
I'm curious. Are the people that whine about Leclerc deserving a penalty the same that whined after Canada because the race was ruined with the penalty?

I'm on record as having found Canada to have been very entertaining. It was easily the funniest thing to have happened this year. All for penalties like that if they send everyone into a collective meltdown

I think in retrospect the stewards have been proven correct in Canada and Vettel's actions afterwards are being seen for what they are, petulant and childish

He makes mistakes and is so desperate to recover from them, to hell with anyone else on track as he rejoins.

At least this time he picked the right target, of all the cars he could potentially run into. Then Stroll has the same attitude and does the same to Albon
Thankfully Kvyat was the one that rejoined responsibly otherwise that chain could've gone on until it took out everyone left in the race....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:

This is the result when you bring a young driver through your program as The Chosen One, a.k.a. the Helmut Marko school of management. Through Vettel's RB years he was never blamed or admonished for anything, as we saw through how the team dealt with his multiple run-ins with Webber. Seb now has no concept of having to earn something or taking responsibility for your actions. We can look forward to the same sort of thing with Max in years to come, compounded with lots of daddy issues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:11 am 

Think this us well-argued: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49629863. Jolyon's a much better columnist than driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't the FIA try the strict sticking to the rules back in I think 2012? and then went overboard with it, penalizing every single minute thing, even things that didn't warrant it.........I haven't imagined this have I?????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:54 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

If the FIA weren't gonna give a penalty for that Verstappen chop block on Kimi at Spa when he was using DRS, they won't penalise anything.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next