TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
blame Silverstone 2013 for that one

Yeah everything was good until that race

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

EAS wrote:
About Dan Ric penalty, I have nothing against it. He made two overtakes in which he went totally outside the track and was never forced to do that. The overtake on Kimi especially was a blatant offense in any era of the sport.

Not saying this as a Ricciardo supporter, but as someone who is a racing supporter. Like Vettel's penalty in Canada, these were loads of shit. Joining the track in an unsafe manner? Look at Riccardo's onboard, there is no swerve or sudden acceleration or deceleration, he tries to keep it as tight as possible to the curb, Norris tries to hang on on the outside, keeping his foot in it and steers off the track instead of yielding, you know...like racing has always been like. These car parks just create a whole i'm not yielding and will straight line the corner and then complain mentality.

Joining the track in an unsafe manner is for what I consider someone doing a swipe or balls to the wall foot to the floor rejoin or blatant block. This was none of those. Same as for Seb in Canada.

And the one on Kimi? I can see how that one was given, but why is there a bike path on the edge of the track...reducing the track edge? And I thought you were supposed to leave a cars width to the driver behind, something Kimi didn't do?

That was just great racing in my opinion and for those penalties to be given is just another reason why I think the sport has gone to shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm glad I skipped this and did some gardening after watching parts of the 24 hrs of Nürburgring.

I watched the resume. Oh boy. It is getting worse and worse.

Cars don't break anymore. Drivers can make mistakes and continue. Engines lasts forever. Tyres last forever.

So teams are spending billions of dollars, TV contracts are worth billions. Circuits / locations are spending hundreds (if not billions) to pay for the event. Fans are paying hundreds of euros to visit an event. Or watchers obliged to pay massively to watch races on tv.

So much money involved and this is what they come up with?

This is simply not survivable.

I would never have thought in the past I would skip races even though I am at home. I simply lost interest in the sport.

And this is the result?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

aerogi wrote:
I would never have thought in the past I would skip races even though I am at home. I simply lost interest in the sport.

And this is the result?

Likewise 4th race in a row I've not watched, that's NEVER happened in my motorsports watching career

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honestly I was so much more focused on the Nurburgring 24hrs and British GT, I went from looking at the grid full of people to it suddenly being just the drivers on the grid waiting for lights out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was head-banging to Cannibal Corpse and playing push and shove with big bearded grown men

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

I did my ironing; it was more exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Neil wrote:
I did my ironing; it was more exciting.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I also feel the need to tell you I wasn't watching, but I was out at a different race track watching Banger Racing at Hednesford Hills raceway, so I'm not sure that counts when i'm just feeding my addiction in a different way

Channel 4 highlights are probably all you need tbh, saves about an hour of nothing happening and just cuts to the good parts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coldtyre wrote:
I was head-banging to Cannibal Corpse and playing push and shove with big bearded grown men

For real? :metal: :beard: :drunk:

@
Gaara

Yeah the Nürburgring 24hr has been the highlight of the 2019 motorsport season so far, for me. In particular, that multi-hour fight between those two Audis was amazing, even after a driver swap they continued to fight, driving like they were in a 1hr sprint race. Absolutely amazing racing! :ohmy:

I think I watched about 15hr of that race, not consecutively though. :flag:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pretty sure the penny has dropped after this race.

The reactions all around of fans and journalist show it well. And even the drivers, who you don't expect to talk about it are becoming vocal about the poor state of affairs.

Frankly, I think it's not only about poor races (I think we had some other poor years of racing - 2009 is what comes to my mind). What strikes me is that we're witnessing a bunch of problems we've already seen other times, but now they are together.

Poor races, lack of competitivity, questionable decisions by the marshalls. For the people who follow F1 for 15 years or more, none of these is new. But now all these are happening at the same time, and to make the matters worse, we are witnessing a staggering dominance by the same team after a pre-season that gave us the expectation of a tight battle.

That's a perfect storm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

EAS wrote:
Pretty sure the penny has dropped after this race.

The reactions all around of fans and journalist show it well. And even the drivers, who you don't expect to talk about it are becoming vocal about the poor state of affairs.

Frankly, I think it's not only about poor races (I think we had some other poor years of racing - 2009 is what comes to my mind). What strikes me is that we're witnessing a bunch of problems we've already seen other times, but now they are together.

Poor races, lack of competitivity, questionable decisions by the marshalls. For the people who follow F1 for 15 years or more, none of these is new. But now all these are happening at the same time, and to make the matters worse, we are witnessing a staggering dominance by the same team after a pre-season that gave us the expectation of a tight battle.

That's a perfect storm.

2009 boring? I'm not sure, who would have expected that the Brawn Mercedes cars would have been that good? I can clearly remember the first race and how special this was. I remember some very good racing, also with Rubens in the end having some good racing I think. And the unexpected win from Alonso in Singapore.

My memories of most boring year I think was 2004. But even then, from time to time you had engines going kaboom for example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is probably no quick fix.

But it could help to have again more gravel traps, grass or sand next to the circuit. Even though the Italian race has been boring for most time, I still could enjoy the Parabolica every time a car was slingshot onto the straight. Now it is just another corner with a mile wide tarmac run of area. The same with the Barcelona circuit. Why the chicane before the last corner? Again that was a corner that was interesting to see the cars seeing entering it.

It could help to get rid of the 3 engine rule, as the cost for engineering I think must have been immense to develop these kind of engines, it is silly drivers have to ask if they can have more power trying to overtake. Drivers should be able to go to the limit of the engines whenever they want, and if they go kaboom, so be it.

It could help to have limited communication through the races so that drivers have to make decisions again by themselves. Maybe only one way from driver to team.

It could help if we don't have the silly decisions made by stewards

And a bigger field would certainly help too.

And the number of variables are just making the sport being competitive (in the past between pole position and position 20 difference was way bigger), but it means it looks like computers going around a track. But you had different tyres, different engines (V8, V10, V12), drivers could gamble with tyre choices. I remember Prost winning a race (I think in Mexico) where he had put 3 different compounds on his car and won the race.

Qualifying is the only interesting part of the weekend. That format I think is OK.

And we had more drivers with 'balls'.

and bring back the grid girls!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am 

Scotty wrote:
aerogi wrote:
This is simply not survivable.

I've just got this sneaking feeling that this was the race the penny dropped.

I read somewhere said that "boring races" have gone from the rare exception to the norm and it's not sustainable.

Problem is there is no quick fixes. We're not even half way through the season. They can't just change the goal posts half way through the season. I'd like to see sticky fragile tyres come in but it's too dangerous.

It's ok, Lewis will fix it.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... -1s-future

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

iks wrote:
Coldtyre wrote:

For real? :metal: :beard: :drunk:

Yup.

Was also in this wall of death, somewhere on the right side, being obliterated:

Completely off-topic, but this is what this piece of crap of a "Grand" prix deserves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
2009 boring? I'm not sure, who would have expected that the Brawn Mercedes cars would have been that good? I can clearly remember the first race and how special this was. I remember some very good racing, also with Rubens in the end having some good racing I think. And the unexpected win from Alonso in Singapore.

My memories of most boring year I think was 2004. But even then, from time to time you had engines going kaboom for example.

Actually, this is my point. 2009 had some good races but in a similar ratio to this year perhaps. But I struggle to remember great action on track from that year. However, that year had several interesting stories (Brawn GP, Button and Barrichello, Fisichella on pole with a Force India, Red Bull winning their first races).

Great stories and changes in the field are part of what makes a good season. But even this stuff is lacking right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
there is a quick fix that is mandate all cars to run low drag setup to make it harder to drive and ban tire blankets and don't come with that "it's not safe" bulshit because the cars are well safe, they're just badly accustomed to cars that don't break

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

It's basically very easy.
Allow one rear wing plate limited in size and one front wing plate each side, also limited on size. Have a reasonable additional amount of downforce generated by the underbody to keep cornering speeds at lets say 75% of what they are now. Also give them cold tires to generate a performance difference between a car with warm ones. Also allow refueling to generate a performance difference between a car with a full tank and a car with an empty one (performance difference is the thing that makes cars overtake each other).
And give them more power to make them slide.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

instead of changing rules which will cost a lot of money, add weight for every 20-40 points gained. at a certain point the Ferraris will be levelled with Mercedes and then they will also have to add more weight, and at the end of the season we might see the Renaults challenge for the win.

The best car will have an advantage anyway as it will start the season with an advantage because they are the best in the first couple of races.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It could also help if Max will join Mercedes next year.

That would undoubtly be very, very interesting.

Could be another 1988 season

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next