TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I actually really enjoyed that race as I always do Monaco.

My only criticism is that I wish they had tyres that allowed them to push a lot harder. We all know that overtaking is extremely hard (But not impossible) around Monaco so with them all driving several seconds off what they could do you lose a lot of the spectacle & challenge which is the best part of Monaco & the thing i've always loved about it. And you also reduce the risk of anyone making a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Awful race for Alfa Romeo. They fell to 9th place in constructors and saw Williams doing better.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think that Max has been responsible for about 50% of the entertainment this year, himself alone. Never gives up, always pushing in races where you know Ferrari and Mercedes would just play it conservative. We're lucky to have him in the field.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
If you know the result and know that nothing has happened AT ALL after the SC, then yeah, this was a terrible race. But there was tension during the race, things COULD happen and tgat makes it one of the best races so far in 2019.

This. The end result was frustrating, but how many recent races have had the two leaders hit each other with a few laps to go? It was tense.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I like the race, maybe because I watched on mute and didn't had to stand radio whining. Or maybe that's the best Monaco can provide without wreckfest or rain

But that's only me, a fan of thrilling action on the verge of crashing that even though it didn't happened, it kept me paying attention. Plus Hamilton knew very well what to do to win, FIA should take a microphone away from him and let only the team talk to him

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:33 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Another reason why the race was better than most people realise:

Zero chris evans interruptions from Sky....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:12 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

StefMeister wrote:
I actually really enjoyed that race as I always do Monaco.

My only criticism is that I wish they had tyres that allowed them to push a lot harder. We all know that overtaking is extremely hard (But not impossible) around Monaco so with them all driving several seconds off what they could do you lose a lot of the spectacle & challenge which is the best part of Monaco & the thing i've always loved about it. And you also reduce the risk of anyone making a mistake.

Tires is one thing but remember Pirelli was asked to provide degrading tires that would spice things up like in Canada 2012. However teams got smart and are saving them like crazy even though the radio drama indicates things are looking even worse.

However Verstappen looked much closer to getting past Hamilton once he was granted the Mode 7 mapping inside the last 10 laps. And that affects what I've been saying before, the "cost-saving" limits actually limit all the potential on-track excitement. Even with a win on the line, teams will hold a driver back as long as possible to avoid a potential penalty. If you can't use full engine power at Monaco of all places this entire concept is DOA.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:31 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

WTF, I thought F1 having no regard for marshal safety was a relic of the last era

What part of the race was that, during the SC?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The board saying 'SC' at the end of the video would suggest that it was at that point of the race.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's because they can go full throttle when exiting the pits, and only have to drive slowly once back on the track.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:

Better reactions from the marshalls, imo. If Perez had reacted, he would've collected one of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:37 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Monaco marshals have always been dickheads. Senna almost wiped one out in 1991.

That was too close :8: :8:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

These Pirelli tires really are pieces of shit. Daniel Ricciardo did his fastest lap of the race one the last lap on tires that were 67 laps old that were supposedly only able to last a maximum of 50 laps. (Was only 1.4 seconds off the fastest lap...also shows how badly Renault screwed themselves out of decent points) Grosjean did over half the race on the "softest" tire.

This is a bit of a rant, but I place A LOT of the blame on Michelin for the state of the blandness of the tires. It was the debacle of Indy 05 (I defended Michelin at the time but the fact was they didn't take into consideration the re layed track surface, Bridgestone did, also wasn't helped by the FIA but if Michelin hadn't fucked up we would never have had the situation) that really freaked out the FIA and has pushed them into a control tire situation.

Can't also overlook Red Bull for ignoring all advice on tire camber and pressures, and then carrying on like dickheads (and drivers ignoring track limits and then complaining that they had punctures) that caused the FIA and Pirelli to make the blandest possible tires imaginable.

Open up the tire regs to have more than one manufacturer or to run whatever compound or multiple compounds they like. And before all the teams complain the FIA/Liberty can just say every team gets x amount of $ for x amount of days tire testing from a tire testing fund.

This race and the last decade have been pretty pathetic in large part because of the black stuff they run on.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:13 am 

Silverstone 2013 played a part as well

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The idea started out good, back when the teams were first thrown for a loop with chewing gum tyres but then as always, they figured out, make that scienced out, how to work around this. Pirelli needs to try what Michelin does in MotoGP where the compounds are drastically different every other weekend. I read a column by Mat Oxley where he put that down as the primary reason why the MotoGP action is always so unpredictable from week to week.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Everyone praises Monaco for fast marshaling, but that really just means prioritizing the race resuming quickly, over their lives and safety.

Ideally, you want nobody on the asphalt until everyone is lined up. Even people catching up on the SC can amount to speeds way too fast for the conditions, like depicted here in the Perez incident. This Monaco "performance" of the marshalls is outdated, and has led to too many close calls. And it's almost always to pick up debris. Drivers are cozily wrapped into an indestructible frame, let them run the debris over, it won't kill anyone and especially not under caution.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
randomness is the key, I still advocate for Pirelli wrongly labelling tires so no one can figure it out if its soft or hard. Qualifying gets scrambled and race is a mess we love to watch. The closest the beasts can get to be hard to tame without being dangerous

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yes it'd help Monaco, remember that's how jarno trulli jumped the field and won in 04...

However that style of racing where people would save the fuel for under/overcuts in the pits also happened at every other goddamn track too, where passing was possible on track but didn't happen

Even today's racing is better than the zero passes per race direness of the early 2000s.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seeing how artificial the racing has become how about the top 10 can't refuel but those out of it could opt to? Imagine the bottom half of the field being 25% of the fuel weight of the top 10 going balls to the wall against cars that are actually faster, but the trade off is they will have to have a longer stop or stops? Now that could be interesting.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next