TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Omega wrote:
Vassago wrote:
I can understand that Brussles combines both ethnic citizens of Belgium but even if he was born there, his family must originally come from some place. I read that Brussels had a great influx of French-speaking people in late 19th century and the fact it's a separate region now only means as such for political & economic purpose but not ethnically. Though I can understand that people in Brussels are billingual more than every other part of the country?

On some Belgisch site I read that Stoffel Vandoorne was actually the first Belgian F1 driver from Flanders so that would mean every other before him was Wallonian. Also Forix calls Boutsen as Wallonian too.

Well, if you are from Brussels, then you are not Flemish and not Wallonian. Brussels belongs to neither of these regions, it's a region by itself.

From political & economical reasons yes, but ethnically? I don't think so. It was a Dutch-speaking city until 19th century and now it's French-speaking according to aerogi. Unless you want to dismiss Wallonia as mere province and being from Brussels makes you superior by default. Large metropolitan areas tend to distance themselves from the surrounding rest and live in the "country within a country" bubble. It's like people saying they're from Hollywood rather than Los Angeles even though Hollywood IS Los Angeles ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
mclaren2008 wrote:

haha some great ones

that remembers when I first saw the name of Pierre Gasly, I thought it was pronounced like the Pokémon haha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:58 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Everyone pronounced ricciardo wrong.

Including Daniel himself

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:
Omega wrote:
Vassago wrote:
I can understand that Brussles combines both ethnic citizens of Belgium but even if he was born there, his family must originally come from some place. I read that Brussels had a great influx of French-speaking people in late 19th century and the fact it's a separate region now only means as such for political & economic purpose but not ethnically. Though I can understand that people in Brussels are billingual more than every other part of the country?

On some Belgisch site I read that Stoffel Vandoorne was actually the first Belgian F1 driver from Flanders so that would mean every other before him was Wallonian. Also Forix calls Boutsen as Wallonian too.

Well, if you are from Brussels, then you are not Flemish and not Wallonian. Brussels belongs to neither of these regions, it's a region by itself.

From political & economical reasons yes, but ethnically? I don't think so. It was a Dutch-speaking city until 19th century and now it's French-speaking according to aerogi. Unless you want to dismiss Wallonia as mere province and being from Brussels makes you superior by default. Large metropolitan areas tend to distance themselves from the surrounding rest and live in the "country within a country" bubble. It's like people saying they're from Hollywood rather than Los Angeles even though Hollywood IS Los Angeles ;)

Who talks about ethnics? The difference is the language, that's all. There's a part where we speak Dutch, there's a part where we speak French, and there's a part in the middle that both parts wanted to claim (Flanders: It's ours because it is in Flanders / Walloon: it's ours because the majority speaks French) that they decided to create a third part where people have to speak both. With its own government.
But it is not "claim" like in a war, like Russia does with the Crimea, the Basks want to do in Spain,... It is just a bunch of grown up people refusing to share.

But Belgium has done its best to make everything very complicated. We are a small country with 7 governments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm 

Language is one of the chief if not the most important difference between ethnicities. Brussels is no ethnicity like Flemish or Wallonian. Like I've said, it's like saying "I'm not from L.A. I'm from Hollywood" = "I'm not Wallonian, I'm from Brussels".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really think you don't understand the situation at all. So let's forget about it and talk about F1 again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:17 am 

I think I do. The "country within a country" syndrome is popular worldwide among metropolitan areas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/heal ... x/4356791/

FFS people vaccinate!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A colleague of mine is homesick with a bad case of measles. Also, Costa Rica had to quarantine a French family whose child had measles while visiting there earlier this year. Costa Rica had eradicated that illness on their soil since 2014.

It's common knowledge that all developed civilisations eventually end up having a downfall of some sorts, but FFS Europe/US/Western world, get your fucking shit together, it does not have to come from a deliberate return to the Dark Ages.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

on Reddit someone called ant-vaxxers bio-terrorists. I quite like that and wouldnt mind treating them like terrorists.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Something that I believe went unnoticed here:

Max Verstappen podium is the first one of Honda on the Hybrid Era and the first one since Barrichello in Silverstone/2008.

Quite interesting this happened while McLaren gave us the first engine failure of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 pm 

And Lance Stroll scoring points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Honda success quite shows how difficult is to work at McLaren. Plus working with Toro Rosso last year in an enviroment with less pressure also showed great opportunity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the pace of McLaren in 2018 showed that it maybe wasn't all Honda's fault.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Flemish is a weird sounding hybrid language. Its kinda like Swiss German.

But Swiss German is still German, with a different accent. Flemish is not German.

Languages are bloody weird though. I (an English speaker) had a Dutch trainer in a German job, and he sounded more Dutch when speaking German than he did when speaking English. I've found that, the more I learn German, the more I can understand Dutch, Flemish, and Nordic languages. Finnish is an obvious exception :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Omega wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Flemish is a weird sounding hybrid language. Its kinda like Swiss German.

But Swiss German is still German, with a different accent. Flemish is not German.

I gotta get back to Europe again and hear some Flemish in action. Didn't spend any time in the Flemish speaking areas when I was there.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14