TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Coldtyre wrote:
SB83 wrote:
Neil wrote:
They way Croft pronounces Giovinazzi's name as "Jovinazzi" pisses me off way more than it should. Also, the "Lecler" pronunciation - It's Leclerc with a hard "c".

Lol, I noticed the 'Le Éclair' too. I realise he's quite a dish but c'mon!

What are you on about guys?

He's pronouncing the names as close as possible to their native languages:

- Giovinazzi --> 'Jovinadzi' in Italian (like you'd pronounce "Giovanni", the "i" is barely heard)

- Leclerc --> last c isn't pronounced in French. He also calls him "Charle", not "Charles", as the s isn't pronounced in the French version of the name.

All sounds from all around the world cannot be made by an English-only speaker, but it's common courtesy to match as much as possible a person's native name with whatever tools you already have in your own language. It's weak to not do the effort when you can. Skipping letters that are written but not pronounced is like the easiest thing to do.

I was going to take umbridge and say that Leclerc himself pronounces it with a hard C and went to YouTube to prove my point. Yeah, he drops the C and I was wrong. I then looked up how to pronounce Giovinazzi and goddamnit I was wrong again.

Consider me schooled!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haha, and in the process you just taught me a new British euphemism for being angry or taking offence!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:54 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Croft is competent but he's not a play by play

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Belgium both sides (Flemish and walloon) had a different prononciation for BelgianThierry Boutsen

The Dutch speaking side were saying Bowtsen where the ou is like 'ow' in English.

The French speaking side were saying Butsen (a bit like the u in stupid)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:08 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

In Polish Boutsen was always pronounced 'Butsen'. Without checking I gather he comes form the Walloon part of Belgium?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes he does

lol, I found a rare crash while looking him up, well, more of a small spin out and contact, kind of a mellow version of the Stroll/Hartley crash at the same location. Posted in crash video thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

ROUND THE OUTSIDE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

ROUND THE OUTSIDE

He is also canonically a Disney princess :flag:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:
In Polish Boutsen was always pronounced 'Butsen'. Without checking I gather he comes form the Walloon part of Belgium?

Actually he is from Brussels. Which is in Flanders where they speak Dutch, but a lot of people speak French like they do in Walloon. So they compromised and made the city bilingual, people who live and work there are expected to speak both languages. Which most don't. They even gave Brussels their own government with its own ministers.

So Brussels isn't Flanders, isn't Walloon, it's something in the middle but on its own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm 

I can understand that Brussles combines both ethnic citizens of Belgium but even if he was born there, his family must originally come from some place. I read that Brussels had a great influx of French-speaking people in late 19th century and the fact it's a separate region now only means as such for political & economic purpose but not ethnically. Though I can understand that people in Brussels are billingual more than every other part of the country?

On some Belgisch site I read that Stoffel Vandoorne was actually the first Belgian F1 driver from Flanders so that would mean every other before him was Wallonian. Also Forix calls Boutsen as Wallonian too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
SB83 wrote:
Neil wrote:
They way Croft pronounces Giovinazzi's name as "Jovinazzi" pisses me off way more than it should. Also, the "Lecler" pronunciation - It's Leclerc with a hard "c".

Lol, I noticed the 'Le Éclair' too. I realise he's quite a dish but c'mon!

What are you on about guys?

He's pronouncing the names as close as possible to their native languages:

- Giovinazzi --> 'Jovinadzi' in Italian (like you'd pronounce "Giovanni", the "i" is barely heard)

- Leclerc --> last c isn't pronounced in French. He also calls him "Charle", not "Charles", as the s isn't pronounced in the French version of the name.

All sounds from all around the world cannot be made by an English-only speaker, but it's common courtesy to match as much as possible a person's native name with whatever tools you already have in your own language. It's weak to not do the effort when you can. Skipping letters that are written but not pronounced is like the easiest thing to do.

This reminds me of a story our commentator loves to tell which, obviously, I am in doubt about its authenticity.

He says Murray Walker went to him to learn the pronunciation of Ayrton Senna in Portuguese. The first name is more like 'a-eer-ton' (with the 'a' like the one in 'car') rather than 'ehr-ton' that we hear in English. Then, Walker tried the Portuguese pronunciation and the backlash of the audience was such that he decided to get back to the English pronunciation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think it's true. I believe Murray once said that after he stopped using 'Ay-air-ton', Senna went up to him and jokingly asked what happened to it.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Omega wrote:
That Australian bloke's name should also be pronounced Rikardo, but if that is correct then why is it written Ricc i ardo?

I'm used to pronounce Brazilian world champion Nelson Pikett, when watching reviews of the 80's, it took me a long time to realise who this P. K. (Pee kay) guy was.

Ricciardo has mantioned that he himself pronounces it Rikardo, although if it were to be linguistically correct, it should be "Richie-ardo", which is the Italian way.

My biggest peeve was the Portuguese commentators who almost always pronounced Michael as "Mee-sha-yel" or "Mee-shel" when referring to Schumacher.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Michael Schumacher here was pronounced early in his career as "Mirrael" or the german way, but then later they went to Mikael and not Maikow like the english way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Michael Schumacher here was pronounced early in his career as "Mirrael" or the german way, but then later they went to Mikael and not Maikow like the english way

Schumacher was an interesting FIRSTNAME LASTNAME case here in Brazil because they used to pronounce his first name in German and the second in English. And then he started winning races and the guys began to pronounce it in this weird way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 am 

That website still exists

https://www.namethatdriver.com/driver/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vassago wrote:
I can understand that Brussles combines both ethnic citizens of Belgium but even if he was born there, his family must originally come from some place. I read that Brussels had a great influx of French-speaking people in late 19th century and the fact it's a separate region now only means as such for political & economic purpose but not ethnically. Though I can understand that people in Brussels are billingual more than every other part of the country?

On some Belgisch site I read that Stoffel Vandoorne was actually the first Belgian F1 driver from Flanders so that would mean every other before him was Wallonian. Also Forix calls Boutsen as Wallonian too.

Bas Leinders was in fact the first Flemish F1 driver, but Stoffel was the first to enter a race.

Brussel is almost 100% French speaking. which is amazing as it used to be fully dutch speaking a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 pm 

Flemish is a weird sounding hybrid language. Its kinda like Swiss German.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:

Well, if you are from Brussels, then you are not Flemish and not Wallonian. Brussels belongs to neither of these regions, it's a region by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Flemish is a weird sounding hybrid language. Its kinda like Swiss German.

But Swiss German is still German, with a different accent. Flemish is not German.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next