TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7113 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

What's the point of discussing Halo? It's coming, it's here to stay and it might or might not save someone.
If most of the drivers say it will increase safety, how on earth can the FIA say "Well fuck you".

I know the HALO is a retarded kneejerk reaction to what is the incompetence of the FIA to have trackside vehicles like tractors recover cars without proper protection if one comes flying in.

And yes it looks idiotic now, but Brawn and his team are working on making it more estheticaly pleasing in 2021.

Let's hope someone flips into a tree in Melbourne and the HALO does its work, that'll shut you up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

I should really start to search for an open wheel series with good looking cars, exciting racing, diverse tracks, high speeds and without electric nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Beezle wrote:
I should really start to search for an open wheel series with good looking cars, exciting racing, diverse tracks, high speeds and without electric nonsense.

Indycars.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:09 am 

Juihi wrote:
Beezle wrote:

Indycars.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Soon to have an aero shield. Those cars WILL look like some ghastly Speed Racer shit. As Fabs said, its at a point of no return. And will be eventually for all "open wheel" series. I bloody hate it and want this direction to be killed by Hell fire but there is no going back now.

Slightly off topic but not really, am I the only one that thinks that Formula E is a boring pile of shit? and pray and hope that this IS NOT the future or racing?? But then again, see above.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Change is a horrible thing, everything should stay exactly the same >.<

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
What's the point of discussing Halo? It's coming, it's here to stay

Knowing the incompetence of the FIA I still wouldnt be shocked to see this horrible device getting banned for 2018 and maybe even before the season is over.

And if it truly was a slapstick movie it would happen right after it saves someone.

And yes, I am aware that its near impossible to remove them during the season but the FIA would probably order them to cut it off and fill the holes with plaster :slaphead:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if they ban while season is underway some teams will complain as the halo is part of safety cell and will incorporate into the main structural part of the car, so they could use also as ballast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

webbsy wrote:
Soon to have an aero shield. Those cars WILL look like some ghastly Speed Racer shit. As Fabs said, its at a point of no return. And will be eventually for all "open wheel" series. I bloody hate it and want this direction to be killed by Hell fire but there is no going back now.

Slightly off topic but not really, am I the only one that thinks that Formula E is a boring pile of shit? and pray and hope that this IS NOT the future or racing?? But then again, see above.

Really? all that overtaking and late race drama too much for you? :ohmy:

Formula E races are the opposite of F1 really, they're usually more exciting towards the last 5 laps than they are at the start.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Formula E would look even more interesting with airborne crashes so they should hire Gutierrez or Maldonado to fill in

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm 

webbsy wrote:

I'm no fan either

However it's cool that they can race in City centers because they're electric.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's cool they race in the traditional off season too

Well, it's nice to see racing in December and TOMORROW anyway ;)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There's something about Formula E that just didn't grab me.

I watched the 1st 2 seasons & started watching the 3rd but stopped watching them live, Then I missed a few races entirely & just never really went back with the same level of interest. I caught some of the practice sessions from the 1st round of this season but still haven't watched either of the 2 races & don't really feel much of a pull to do so.

While the racing is OK (If not a bit too bumper cars), I just hate most of the tracks they run on. I don't really mind street circuits but I just find most of the one's FE use to be pretty crap & lacking of anything especially interesting. And given the relative limitations of the technology the requirements to have heavy braking points tends to mean that when you have the start of a section of track that could be interesting, There's a generic slow/tight chicane or other such slow/tight corner thrown in the middle to create some re-gen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
Change is a horrible thing, everything should stay exactly the same >.<

All of what we're seeing is the result of the ever increasing commercial influence in F1. It's always been there from the early days of course but since the early 2000s it's changed quite a lot.

I just want beautiful looking and sounding cars on naturally beautiful circuits with good hard racing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:34 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Electric power brings with it an entirely different style of racing though, you really have to forget everything you know about normally aspirated engines and the way they're raced when you watch this series

The electric engines produce a hell of a lot of torque but, at the moment, not much top end (Though they're working on that)

So the tracks are designed to take advantage of that, lots short bursts of acceleration but no long straights to show up the lack of straightline speed.

IMO there hasn't been a genuinely boring Formula E race yet, and I have high standards
Usually when they get to 5 laps to go and people realise they have enough power until the end, things go crazy, and it's always great to have a race that ramps up in excitement instead of fizzles out after the pit stops have played out, for a change.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lewis has kept his phone switched off and has been waxing lyrical about racing, which is genuinely nice to hear from him:

Lewis Hamilton wrote:
The FIA have done an amazing job, but they've really got to stop with these run-off areas - you shouldn't be able to cut a corner like you see [drivers doing].

What I love about the olden days - of course you don't want to crash, but if you go wide you've got to lose time.

Now you can approach a corner knowing that if you go in 5% too much you can go wide and come back on. I don't love that.

I used to love Oulton Park and Donington. Donington, Old Hairpin was a nightmare - you have to come off the brakes and run the speed in, use the downforce.

Then up the hill and the second right before the back straight - you can't even see the white line. There is white line and then gravel and the gravel sucks you off.

Oh man! Finding the limit there, that corner is way harder than all the corners in F1.

Coppice. That's the sort of corner F1 is missing. If we had that back in F1, it would bring another level to the challenge.

Doesn't happen often, but I completely agree with him. It's nice that Tilke has occasionally tried to bring in properly challenging corners (there are a few off-camber ones scattered about), but the challenge evaporates if there's nothing but tarmac on the other side. Can you imagine how dull Coppice would be if you could just run wide and carry on?

They really need something like 4m of nice slick grass outside the corners, and then the tarmac.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Same here.

The problem with modern tracks is they are all built to a specification, corners are a set radius, tracks are miles wide, and of course, nothing but more tarmac on the outside to save those whose brain writes cheques their talent can't cash.

Old tracks like Donington, Oulton, Brands etc. they just dumped down the tarmac where the flattest bit of earth was, there was no building, no earth moving or excavation to flatten out a section, or make a hill to generate excitement, if there was a wall or lake or tree in the way, they went around it at the natural edge line of the lake (see Island at Oulton for example), if that corner was constructed today, it wouldn't be a fast weird tighter as you go round left hander that needs big balls and a gentle throttle, it would be a perfect 70 degrees left with heavy braking followed by a 180 degrees right with offset camber followed by a straight to another 70 degrees right. You run wide at Island now, you're in for a wild ride, modern version of Island would have tarmac runoffs, the lake moved to provide more runoffs and no trees in sight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

or like zandvoort, that the main straight was built by nazis lured by the mayor that thought it was built for parades

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:51 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

There is a track like Donington but it lies in waste with only a car rental place using it. A shame that Istanbul Park was built where it was. A waste.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7113 Next