TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26141 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 pm 

Lewis spoke his mind and I guess maybe some people will like him a bit less, for saying this stuff
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... t-outdated

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is nothing controversial in those comments.

Though haven't we gone over the engine thing ad nauseam? The Neanderthals of us that want the screaming engines back and the modernists who see this engine as the future :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Of course he wouldn't call out the main reason F1 is in decline, lack of racing and competition, because he's pretty much the sole beneficiary of that at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, this is not really news. What made me laugh is the Facebook commenters saying that we shouldn't worry about the Sauber sounding crap because it's a '2016 engine'...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:05 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
Lewis spoke his mind and I guess maybe some people will like him a bit less, for saying this stuff
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... t-outdated

He's right. Can't like him less for telling the truth. Sports in decline, don't need to be a genius to know that.

His other comments saying overtaking will be much harder this year were interesting. I heard Adrian Newey the other day say it will actually be easier. Maybe he's just being optimistic.

from what i've heard from some of lewis' previous remarks he's equating the higher downforce of the new cars with the more difficult passing. if most of the higher downforce this year is generated with the wings and the air going over the cars then lewis is absolutely right. but if they use the floors and ground effects to generate the downforce it wont screw with the cars behind as much, which would make mr newey right.

i'm not very optimistic that they kept the aero dependency down though. management seemed more keen on making the cars go round quicker than anything else

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i have to admit that as a kid, the first time i heard a f1 live on track, in 93, it was a mindblowing experience. I was on the main straight of the Monza circuit and just like Lewis said you can hear it passing into your chest.

but on the other hand, if rally survived the death of group B and endourance survived the death of group C i think f1 can survive the death of that kind of f1.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really can't give two craps about the sound of the cars. I want good racing, period.

The boring processions we had to endure wouldn't have been a whole lot better if the engine's sounded amazing. Sure for the people around the actual track it would be a bit better but if nothing happens, nothing still happens if it sounds great.
And the few moments the racing was amazing it didn't feel a whole lot less amazing because it didn't sound like it used to sound like.

I just watched this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgWuRfM39I ) without sound and it's still is amazing. Sure it's better with sound but it's still amazing without.

IMHO one of the worst things Bernie did in recent years was whining bloody murder over the engine sounds. He can be a fucking retard time to time but if he says something is shit a lot of people automatically agree with him.
If he said we just have to get used to it and the sounds didn't really matter if the racing was good the argument would have died out by now. The racing still sucked however.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

micha wrote:
I really can't give two craps about the sound of the cars. I want good racing, period.

The boring processions we had to endure wouldn't have been a whole lot better if the engine's sounded amazing. Sure for the people around the actual track it would be a bit better but if nothing happens, nothing still happens if it sounds great.
And the few moments the racing was amazing it didn't feel a whole lot less amazing because it didn't sound like it used to sound like.

I just watched this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgWuRfM39I ) without sound and it's still is amazing. Sure it's better with sound but it's still amazing without.

IMHO one of the worst things Bernie did in recent years was whining bloody murder over the engine sounds. He can be a fucking retard time to time but if he says something is shit a lot of people automatically agree with him.
If he said we just have to get used to it and the sounds didn't really matter if the racing was good the argument would have died out by now. The racing still sucked however.

what you say is indeniably true but it doesn't provide the whole picture.

Imagine a Lion, same as a normal lion, but this one makes the same sound of a little kitten, like "meow meow".
It would still be an incredible killing machine, you wouldn't survive a minute in a cage with it, but something would be lost compared to an actual lion, if you ever heard a live lion roar in a zoo or even better in a safari .

Also i think f1 is not only about the quality of the racing: i think f1 is a whole package and has to do also with the feelings the cars and the drivers are able to produce in you, you have to think f1 are over the top compared to anything else around, including engines that scream "poweeeeeeeer".
It is not only how good the race they produce it is otherwise i can think at least at 10 better series that produce better racing than f1: if you watch touring racing you have a Villeneuve/Arnoux kind of duel every two races, still touring racing is not popular and has a very small public compared to f1.

Also, considering 95% of people that follow f1 watches it on tv and not on track, we could just look at virtual races run on simulators and enjoy it the same way but we all know it wouldn't have the same appeal at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:03 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/-2225 ... ilming-day

Engine failure for Toro Rosso during today's filming day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:

awesome racing > loud cars

the technology is more important than the sound. i understand the raw emotional appeal of experiencing it in real life, but if formula one bases its technology decisions on "sounds" then it will ultimately die and will be taken over by formulaE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:05 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Neil wrote:
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/-222551/renault-engine-fails-after-six-laps-at-toro-rosso-filming-day

Engine failure for Toro Rosso during today's filming day.

lol rip Renault

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

micha wrote:

I've never understood the Race fans obsession with becoming deaf.
It's something I'm keenly aware of working in both motorsport and the music industry, but in the wrong place, even one car on its own can do long term damage to your hearing, let alone 20+ of them

Loud noises give me a headache after a while too so I was actually happy in 2014 when the engine noise reduced. (well, except for the terrible looks of the cars :p )
Plus you could suddenly hear tyres locking, the crowd cheering, the PA in the background, all that added to the atmosphere more than a stupidly loud engine imo, especially the crowd.

Another aspect of it is we're losing racetrack after racetrack through the years due to stupid noise complaints.
Maybe if we decided to all collectively be OK with lower noise from the cars, the NIMBY brigade would have less to moan about and can enjoy their sunday morning lie ins in peace?
Maybe all those that made the biggest noise about the LACK of noise (BERNIE!) already had their hearing impared by years of loud engines so it made the V6 Hybrids sound even quieter?

(F1 ran Turbo's in the 80s, CART ran Turbos for most of the 90s/2000s and no-one ever complained about the noise, a lot of people stated how much they preferred the noise of the turbos over the non-turbo engines in that era too)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

trout wrote:
micha wrote:

the technology is more important than the sound. i understand the raw emotional appeal of experiencing it in real life, but if formula one bases its technology decisions on "sounds" then it will ultimately die and will be taken over by formulaE

Why not awesome racing with loud cars? :whistling:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Justin Time wrote:
trout wrote:
micha wrote:

Why not awesome racing with loud cars? :whistling:

cause its not inherent to the tech - hence the reference to formulaE. you could also compare to the WEC prototypes - nobody bitches about their lack of sound and everybody loves the racing.

i especially hate all the modern cars that have fake noise pumped to the driver - its just so artificial. for me its just the same as fake boobs - there are more important things than just size

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 pm 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

codename_47 wrote:
I've never understood the Race fans obsession with becoming deaf.
It's something I'm keenly aware of working in both motorsport and the music industry, but in the wrong place, even one car on its own can do long term damage to your hearing, let alone 20+ of them

Loud noises give me a headache after a while too so I was actually happy in 2014 when the engine noise reduced. (well, except for the terrible looks of the cars :p )
Plus you could suddenly hear tyres locking, the crowd cheering, the PA in the background, all that added to the atmosphere more than a stupidly loud engine imo, especially the crowd.

Engine noise does matter to some people, yes, please get over it.
Some people car about how the engines sound, some don't. Some people actually enjoy feeling their thoracic cage rumble when cars pass just in front of them in the streets of Singapore.
Just like some people care about the livery of the car or the nationality of the driver, while other people don't.

In any way, the argument isn't about loudness, it's about the engines producing a shitty tone.

Le Mans cars used to be loud as fuck, the ACO changed the exhaust rules, cars suddenly got much quiter. Ferraris, Lambos and Corvettes? Still sounded awesome. Diesel and turbo cars? Still sounded various levels of shitty.

There is nothing exciting about listening to the V6 turbos whistling around the track, whether it's at 70 or 90db. Especially now that they have gotten louder, you can't even hear the skidding you mentioned before.
Last year, the GP2 cars sounded awesome, not because they were louder than the F1s, but because they had this great backfiring noise on gear shifts, because you could hear the difference between mashing the throttle and coasting around, etc.
The V6 turbo will always sound like shit no matter what they do to it. I still go to races because there is more to racing than just noise, but it has definitely made me lose some of my interest towards F1.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Different people follow F1 for different reasons, we probably shouldn't be surprised by that. IMO F1 has for a long time been more about cutting edge engineering than loud noise, so we should also not be surprised that loud engines were not going to last forever. There are plenty of retro or big-bore racing series to enjoy that have loud engines in their DNA if F1 isn't giving you the goods anymore, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of F1 going back in time on this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I wonder if audience in early 90's would be still high if they kept the real sound level from the track with those V12 noises and so

noise is more for live track experience, on TV you got the advantage to see every incident on slow motion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:21 pm 

Holy shit, only now that I realised how tight it is untill the Australian GP. I was thinking it was gonna start on 24th of April.

The testings will happen basically within a week of each other and then two weeks later we're racing, already. :8: In my mind, the testings were more spread out and it was 3 weeks, at least, from the last testing to Melbourne

On another note, Fernando Alonso : "The aim is to look respectable this year" ....

Pitty as the car seems to be one of the most sophisticated, if not the most, aerodynamically, so far. Thank you very much Honda!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Artur Craft wrote:
Holy shit, only now that I realised how tight it is untill the Australian GP. I was thinking it was gonna start on 24th of April.

The testings will happen basically within a week of each other and then two weeks later we're racing, already. :8: In my mind, the testings were more spread out and it was 3 weeks, at least, from the last testing to Melbourne

On another note, Fernando Alonso : "The aim is to look respectable this year" ....

Pitty as the car seems to be one of the most sophisticated, if not the most, aerodynamically, so far. Thank you very much Honda!

"This is a GP2 engine!"

What ever that "look respectable" means. Maybe they're happy if they get P5 in some odd race.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I wonder what Alonso is gonna do if his car breaks down in practice again, maybe being a marshal for his own car :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26141 Next