TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 717 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is there any decent web page out there where you can find the FP results easily? I always used www.gpupdate.net but it seems Autosport bought them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/results/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

TV commentator said Hamilton was owning the field when it comes to race-pace practice, second was Bottas.

Let's hope for more competition on sunday. Or at least a new Mercedes paint-scheme. By far the ugliest color, that's no Silver Arrow. It's more like my grandfather ashes grey.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One thing that I did notice - there were several occasions where drivers out-braked themselves and went into the gravel. A few times it happened when they were closing up to another car. It could be coincedental, or it could be the dirty air is having a big effect. Given that the cars are faster than last year, have more downforce than last year, and last year's race was an absolute procession already... Hopefully I'm completely wrong, or the rain will come and make things interesting.

As for the halo, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought, when seen from the external cameras. From the onboard though? Terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Ricciardo has been given a three place grid penalty because why not get the grid penalties started early let’s not fuck about.

Fuck the waaaahmbulance I’m driving it now.

So at most that will be sixth on the grid. Dan should beat the Ferraris plus his team mate in quali, if it's wet then maybe he can beat a Merc or two. All is not lost yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He got the grid penalty even though they said the following

Spoiler:
The stewards examined telemetry, video, car positioning data evidence and heard from Daniel Ricciardo, the driver of car 3 and the team representative. The stewards reviewed the data and video and found that Ricciardo did in fact fail to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU in the penultimate and final mini marshalling sectors.
"The stewards also found that Ricciardo slowed by as much as 175km/h from his fast times at Turn 12 and was consistently and significantly slower in the final three turns, indicating that he was fully complying with the requirements of Appendix H of the International Sporting Code. However, he admitted an error in reading his dash and was slightly below the minimum time.
"As the regulation states, Art. 31.6 was added this year to ensure that drivers reduce speed sufficiently during a red flag. Breach of this regulation is seen to be an extremely serious matter.
"However, in this case, the stewards thoroughly reviewed the breach and found that the driver slowed significantly, such that no danger was created, and that the driver proceeded with due care. The stewards therefore are imposing a lesser penalty than usual, and impose a three grid place penalty and two penalty points

Why the grid drop when they said that he slowed significantly and drove with due care? I can understand the penalty points then because he was slightly out on a pre determined time, but not the grid drop. That is just stupid. This is not just me being a Dan fan.

I sure hope (not really) that they will be sticklers with every rule breach from now on, but doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can understand if he gained an advantage during the race, under a VSC. But it sounds like he reacted to the danger, and slowed down. Maybe not quite enough. Wouldn't a warning or a small fine suffice? The penalty system is beyond a joke.

What's next? Grid penalties for pit lane speeding in practice, or impeding a faster car in a practice session?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What's he supposed to do? Stop the car and push it back?

Fucking idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

codename_47 wrote:
Ugh, all the "The halo isn't that bad, I don't mind the halo really" people can go fuck themselves

My favourite thing about F1 was the onboards and now they're ruined due to a needless over coddying of the drivers

Invest in higher cockpit sides and stronger helmets and remove this step too far away from the open wheel formula this sport was based on

Yes, I finally now believe we are witnessing the pussyfication of F1

wait till they start to add even more aero parts and till they realize how good such a big surface in front of a camera is for the sponsors and that halo starts to fill with stickers like the side of a nascar car.

Last edited by cambridge on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

( let both video starts togheter for max disgust effect )

indycar new helmet cam with new windscreen :

f1 old fixed cam with halo:

Hey liberty media, guess who fucked up big time?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cambridge wrote:

The FIA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

II dont see a thing when onboard is on shoulder cam. Another great useless job by FOM , use nose cam often or reposition the side cam lower. When they showed the rear view onboard of any car if was always surprised "whats this, oh look you can see something clearly"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

what a silly penalty. These guys are busy with a billion things in the car. What is he supposed to do? Full on the brakes so that someone behind him gets catapulted.

Who is issuing these punishments? Frustrated men that have nothing to say at home?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gaara wrote:
cambridge wrote:

The FIA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:41 pm 

alex1369 wrote:
II dont see a thing when onboard is on shoulder cam. Another great useless job by FOM , use nose cam often or reposition the side cam lower. When they showed the rear view onboard of any car if was always surprised "whats this, oh look you can see something clearly"

The teams design the location point of the camera housings into the car to minimise aero affect. Hence why, since they had to carry numerous housings from 2009 onwards, the "shoulder cam" has often been positioned very high up on the car, usually on the side of the airbox (and the view then not being too dissimilar to the t-cam).

Like when we complain about the lack of mirror cams and other innovative onboard angles, don't blame FOM, FIA or Liberty, blame the teams as its they who have the final say and usually say "No!".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Liberty will come with the great idea of placing a camera on halo with sliders to "provide more action to the action"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Id have thought that would have been the first thing they did, but alas....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cambridge wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAN59VLV_Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArm8WMKM3Y

I am yet to see a crash test or a demonstration stating that the windscreen can deflect a wheel travelling at it at 225kph, without breaking and without detaching from the cockpit.

I am yet to see a crash test or a demonstration proving that the windscreen can resist to a car landing on it upside down. I am yet to see a load figure of how much it can take and if it can handle as much as the HALO is proven to do (it's stronger than the holl hoop).

For now, all we know is that it's sexy looking. That's it. I am not saying it won't work, I'm just saying that comparing two engineering items purely on aesthetics is not fair with the info that we have now.

(and for the record, I wish that both would fuck right off of my open cockpit series)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Coldtyre wrote:
cambridge wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAN59VLV_Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArm8WMKM3Y

I am yet to see a crash test or a demonstration stating that the windscreen can deflect a wheel travelling at it at 225kph, without breaking and without detaching from the cockpit.

I am yet to see a crash test or a demonstration proving that the windscreen can resist to a car landing on it upside down. I am yet to see a load figure of how much it can take and if it can handle as much as the HALO is proven to do (it's stronger than the holl hoop).

For now, all we know is that it's sexy looking. That's it. I am not saying it won't work, I'm just saying that comparing two engineering items purely on aesthetics is not fair with the info that we have now.

(and for the record, I wish that both would fuck right off of my open cockpit series)

i think they know what they're doing it's not that they don't do crash tests too, when was last time a indycar had a structural fail?
they're not some mexican or brazilian series with tin foil cars that explode when they hit something, they've proven that they know their thing.
my main concern with their windscreen is with the amount of dirt collecting when driving in pack, as far as i know it hasn't been tested yet in racing conditions with a full pack of cars in front of you running multiple laps.
Plus they don't drive in the rain. but i don't have particular reason to believe it has some intrinsic structural weakness, it's made by people that make fighter planes bulletproof cockpits, i think they have a clue or two on how to work with glass.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 717 Next