TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
I heard they used chemical cooling. Now chemical always sounds scary but it isnt always that scary.
I am however interested if that stuff is dangerous to the marshals. Would they want to be near that stuff after a crash?

I'd be interested to know what that means really - all cars have used 'chemical' cooling for decades because plain water is rubbish at transferring heat in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:31 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

who came up with those Mercedes sidepods :8:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
micha wrote:
I heard they used chemical cooling. Now chemical always sounds scary but it isnt always that scary.
I am however interested if that stuff is dangerous to the marshals. Would they want to be near that stuff after a crash?

I'd be interested to know what that means really - all cars have used 'chemical' cooling for decades because plain water is rubbish at transferring heat in comparison.

Even my streetcar has chemical coolant but it also has a relative big radiator in the front. And up until this season most cars had relative big radiators in the sidepods.

If they can make it this small, they found a better chemical coolant. I'm by no means an expert but if this small area is enough it potentially is some nasty stuff out in the open.
Normal garages cant leak your coolant in the environment. So what about this stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

After seeing the new Merc and the great variation of car designs, I want to say thank you to all the designers who have basically said fuck you to Ross Brawn and his and the FIA's desire to basically create a spec series. He has just admitted on Sky Sports F1 that they outlawed 100's of design possibilities, and is still surprised at what the outcomes are.

So thank you to the designers who have proven that they are way smarter than the FIA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
micha wrote:

Even my streetcar has chemical coolant but it also has a relative big radiator in the front. And up until this season most cars had relative big radiators in the sidepods.

If they can make it this small, they found a better chemical coolant. I'm by no means an expert but if this small area is enough it potentially is some nasty stuff out in the open.
Normal garages cant leak your coolant in the environment. So what about this stuff?

That makes sense, yeah - some kind of new fluid that allows for smaller radiators. A lot of teams have also been using the roll hoop inlet more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:43 am 

webbsy wrote:
After seeing the new Merc and the great variation of car designs, I want to say thank you to all the designers who have basically said fuck you to Ross Brawn and his and the FIA's desire to basically create a spec series. He has just admitted on Sky Sports F1 that they outlawed 100's of design possibilities, and is still surprised at what the outcomes are.

So thank you to the designers who have proven that they are way smarter than the FIA.

you can't expect a bunch of clever engineers to produce a spec series just because the rule makers say so :whistling:

engineers in secret rooms have been producing magic ever since the Brabham Fan Car

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The sneaky bastards, I love it. Thought it was a photoshopped meme at first.

It looks really weird from the front. You can also notice that they bulged up the part behind the driver's head. The total volume is clearly lower than other teams, but it's also reorganized differently which makes it seem even more radical.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
The sneaky bastards, I love it. Thought it was a photoshopped meme at first.

It looks really weird from the front. You can also notice that they bulged up the part behind the driver's head. The total volume is clearly lower than other teams, but it's also reorganized differently which makes it seem even more radical.

Spoiler:

Ah, ok! It looks like they have moved more of the cooling apparatus above and around the engine, which is the most extreme version of what a lot of teams have been doing.

An interesting comment from Ross Brawn, though:

Quote:
Ross Brawn is chatting to Will Buxton on the F1 test TV coverage to assess the new cars under the new rules and had this to say: "There are some very extreme interpretations of the regulations which could lead to a lot of debate. We did not anticipate the Mercedes concept."

I wonder if they will be taking a closer look at the now-exposed side impact spars, which now look a little too capable of punching into other cars in a side impact. 8O

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Merc saw Red Bull's and Ferrari's crazy sidepods and decided they weren't going to be outdone. Looking forward to a year of constant protests :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
hah so Mercedes is going for a tight fit

but again, the main issue regarding "chemical coolants" is: are they different from our regular pink coolants we usually have on cooling systems?

Because you know, is the cheapest way to deal with rodents in grain silos, you just mix a bit of grain with that sweet antifreeze and see the silo clustered with dead rats by the morning, something that can make Sir Lewis quite disturbed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
hah so Mercedes is going for a tight fit

but again, the main issue regarding "chemical coolants" is: are they different from our regular pink coolants we usually have on cooling systems?

Because you know, is the cheapest way to deal with rodents in grain silos, you just mix a bit of grain with that sweet antifreeze and see the silo clustered with dead rats by the morning, something that can make Sir Lewis quite disturbed

I'm sure Lewis is already aware that F1 isn't powered by warm hugs and gentle kisses :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
and nothing there is tested on animals

although there are some animals driving once in a while

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:40 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

That Merc looks insane. Will probably lap the field in Bahrain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Funny that Brawn didn´t anticipate this. He won the 2009 championship because he outsmarted the rulemakers, and now he´s surprised that he is outsmarted himself

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you actually read the full interview instead of a tweet of one quote, seems like Ross was very much expecting creative interpretation of the new rules.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/braw ... s/8867148/

Quote:
That's what happens with new regulations. And however hard you try to close off all the options, and believe me, we closed off hundreds of them, as I say the innovation in F1, it's always extreme.

Quote:
But it's impressive for a set of rules, which everybody said was too prescriptive. We're seeing all these solutions.

Quote:
It's impossible to anticipate the creative scope of the teams. And once they get the regulations, you've got a thousand engineers working on all the regulations, and they can use them

Christ this season needs to get underway so we can stop imagining controversy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
That Merc looks insane. Will probably lap the field in Bahrain.

I'm getting a bit of a Newey McLaren vibe from it, but right now more MP4-18 than MP4-13. It looked squirrely af when Lewis was driving this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stroll has a broken aero rake on the back of his car. It seems to have wedged between the rear-left wheel and the chassis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The aerorake on the Aston broke and fell off...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It also porpoises more than most so I guess the FIA aren't going to do anything about that and just tell the drivers to live with it?

I fully expect there to be more crashes late race due to driver fatigue caused by nearly 2 hours of constant bumping around like you're driving at speed on a road full of potholes.....on a tractor

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:45 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

webbsy wrote:
For those that don't have Sky Sports here is a stream that is working.

http://fomny.com/Video-2/United-kindom/ ... ort-F1.php

And the Merc side pods kinda reminds me of the Modena of 1990. The Merc does look pretty crazy. I can 100% see them being protested for sure.

Thanks, this will kill a couple of quiet hours at work ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36125 Next