TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
It was interesting as a one off race, but it certainly wasn't entertaining watching everyone drive as slowly as possible so they didn't have to stop, and I think the lack of action is no coincidence either.

That's another thing I hadn't really thought of. We don't tend to see many cars going off the road or having a spin. I always thought it was the cars being easier to drive/the quality of most of the drivers in the field/easy escape run offs. It might just be that nobody is ever really giving it 100%.

Last edited by De Cesaris fan on Sun May 12, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ah yes, thanks :)

Here's a blog by Buxton, raises a few good points.
http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... e-changer/

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Of course he was cruising. He just wasn't cruising as much. I'm not interested in watching cars driving around at 6-10 seconds off the pace they can do. Whilst conserving something on the car has always been part of F1, it has never involved sacrificing this much time. 6 seconds could be double the spread of the entire field, yet that is how slowly they have to drive at BEST to win a race? That is pretty crap IMO.

I like tyre management, and have enjoyed the last few seasons, but only because the drivers have been able to push to a reasonable degree too. It really devalues the race for me when it's about how slow you can go, rather than fast. It reminds me of BTCC Drivers losing places so they can get on pole for a reverse grid race. We actually watched cars deliberately lose spots to give themselves an advantage, which is something we seen today with the drivers suffering more extreme wear.

It was interesting as a one off race, but it certainly wasn't entertaining watching everyone drive as slowly as possible so they didn't have to stop, and I think the lack of action is no coincidence either.

You make a fair arguement ellis which I don't necessarily disagree with, but just don't fully agree with either. On one hand the teams chose to do the conversation strategy, but they didn't need to did they? As karan mentioned earlier, it would have been good to see more than one team fighting and pushing hard. And because Ferrari were the only team to have an attacking strategy it makes the situation with Pirelli tyres and issues with conservation worse than it really is. Then on the other hand you mention Alonso was cruising, just not as much as everyone else. True, but compare the race pace and strategy to 2012. In 2012 we had a titanic struggle between Alonso and Maldonado pushing as hard as they could to win. Alonso finish time in 2013 was a mere 7 seconds slower than Maldonado in 2012. So I'd say Alonso was pushing pretty hard today, compared to everyone else.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Eric Boullier has told AMuS that Pirelli are doing exactly as they were asked.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

One to cheer ellis and nea up...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107395

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

phil1993 wrote:

Well a mechanical error is different to the usual Force India strategy of finding the most hilarious option. FI Were actually really good this week. Can anyone tell us what happened with Sutil? potentially cost him a couple of points

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It says so in the article.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:12 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Oh right, was that the same problem? I thought he had another issue. Maybe I picked that up wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

He had a crossed wheelnut.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Kudos to pirelli for realising they've gone a mite too far and are going to dial it back.
I find it easy to support them because they do a lot of good for the sport and even when they get things
slightly wrong they're honest about it, which is unusual for f1.

And I'm just picking it up here but did the fia really investigate alonso for picking up a flag?
Jesus, that just puts a cap on the shittiest race in a while.

However, as I said in the ratings thread I don't think just cos there has been 1 bad race, the sky is falling in. F1 will bounce back soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:15 pm 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

Wow, governing bodies don't want to let drivers show any passion do they. Football is as bad with bookings for celebrating with fans.
Very glad they didn't follow through with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:31 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Of course they investigated it. A car stopped on track after the race was finished, picking up an object and then proceeded to be checked for legality. This specific rule is now 19 years old, but earlier versions have existed for a long time. They HAD to investigate it because strictly speaking he broke 2 rules (stopped the car, and picked up an object). But they never did anything about it because they don't want to penalise people picking up flags and stuff, especially in situations like these.

Mountain out of nothing. Rule was broken and investigated. Common sense was applied, nothing was done.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:44 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

RtN wrote:

Shame, because if you don't know better, you think Di Resta is the best men at Force India, but Sutil have so much bad luck this year.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:06 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Regiotap wrote:
RtN wrote:

Shame, because if you don't know better, you think Di Resta is the best men at Force India, but Sutil have so much bad luck this year.

Potential points lost in 2013 caused by internal issues at FI

Sutil: 4
di Resta: 14

This does not include Massa taking out Suitl in Bahrain and Gutierrez in China (?). And yes, this is being kept track of since nobody seemed to believe nea and I on how hilaribad Force India are with strategy and reliability.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:45 pm 

phil1993 wrote:

I agree with his conclusion but I did not enjoy the race particularly.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Of course he was cruising. He just wasn't cruising as much. I'm not interested in watching cars driving around at 6-10 seconds off the pace they can do. Whilst conserving something on the car has always been part of F1, it has never involved sacrificing this much time. 6 seconds could be double the spread of the entire field, yet that is how slowly they have to drive at BEST to win a race? That is pretty crap IMO.

I like tyre management, and have enjoyed the last few seasons, but only because the drivers have been able to push to a reasonable degree too. It really devalues the race for me when it's about how slow you can go, rather than fast. It reminds me of BTCC Drivers losing places so they can get on pole for a reverse grid race. We actually watched cars deliberately lose spots to give themselves an advantage, which is something we seen today with the drivers suffering more extreme wear.

Says one of the most active posters in endurance sportscar threads.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Yes because that logic totally works. I also watch Top Gear to watch stupid cars and inappropriate jokes. But that doesn't mean I want that in my F1 either does it.

I watch Endurance racing for different reasons to F1. As Brundle said, F1 is a sprint race. And now it's turned into an endurance race, but without the endurance.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tom wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

I agree with his conclusion

This is exactly what I said earlier. I can't believe I'm agreeing with Will Buxton. Phil1993 will be so proud.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
Can't believe for once but I'm actually agreeing with Ellis.

All the drivers were running out there like the track was wet they were going so precariously. It's just not how I see F1 racing. Brundle made a good point that people have had to conserve a certain part of the car all through the ages of time, but now all components are reliable as Sunday morning happening every week, we shouldn't let the racing be dictated by tyres. F1 should be about pushing components to the limit, that's why we are losing manufacturers interest.

Hopefully, this was just a once off.

We're not allowed to agree. I'd call you a bellend to try and balance out the love/hate relationship but someone would report me. :p

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

So tempted to report you anyway.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31 Next