TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1257 258 259 260 261 Next

were you born before or after SPA 1991? (MSC F1 Debut)
Before 86%  86%  [ 190 ]
After 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Total votes: 220
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:50 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I have soft spots for the 98/99/2000 reviews as it felt like watching a completely different season and all that stuff that happened off camera or was badly caught by the world feed is right there in vision from the digital cameras.

Plus 1999 has the trans world sport guy doing the voice over so that probably makes it my favourite! :p

Then 2001 takes a big step down with a pseudo-documentary style and does the thing I hate most, show you the result of a crash or a move then go back show you it as it happened.
Don't try and get fancy with the editing techniques, just show the races as they happened, no-one is winning an oscar for this :p

Also 1996 has some tits at the start so that probably means it wins by default.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

I hate commentary that pretends it's live, but is actually recorded months down the line, but also adds in ironic foresight. You know the sort of stuff like "Hamilton overtakes Raikkonen immediately after cutting the chicane. He might get a 25-second penalty for that after the race". Either use live commentary, gaffes and all, or use people documenting what's going on.

One of the worst reviews I've watched was a mid-naughties Moto GP review which actually felt more like a postcard for the countries visited with some bike riding thrown in.

There was a few of the longer videos during the 90's (for some reason I always felt as if the odd years were better) at telling a seasons story, but I have felt more and more, especially since the move to DVD formats as if these reviews have become too chapterised.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's a shame they can't use Ben's live commentary, his reaction to the Hamilton/Maldonado shunt was amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm 

does anyone know, where i can download the dvd??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:35 pm 

You can only buy this DVD... =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
It's a shame they can't use Ben's live commentary, his reaction to the Hamilton/Maldonado shunt was amazing.

Even the BBC changed that in their season review, for some reason.
Perhaps it was too high pitched for their sensitive sound equipment or it scared a few dogs.... :p

I think the worst kind of commentary is, as Ryan said, as live but with pre-knowledge of the race.
World Motorsport on Sky used to be absolutely shameful for this as Mark Cole would pause when he knew a big moment was coming up and plan his "live reaction" in his head.....and still sound crap.

Race and Rally UK on Channel 5 used to annoy me for this too (anyone? No? ok then)
So much so I even messaged the commentator to stop watching the races first and just react to them as if they were live.
He was nice enough to reply but it was far more important to him to get the driver numbers/name recognition right than give an exciting natural reaction to a crash or pass etc.

The best commentators don't have to think about what they're saying, it just comes out naturally and passionately.
Yes, sometimes there's mistakes but they're still mistakes of passion rather than ignorance.

I'd respect someone more for making a passionate errors like Murray, Simon Hill, Martin Haven hell even the dreaded Carlton Kirby etc than a boring, dry statistic based factual commentator like Legard, Bestwick, James Allen in his ITV days and a few others.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Echti wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

Every car has at least one onboard camera, but it depends on whether the camera is "active". Current technology is capable of transmitting footage from (I think) 6 cars at the same time. That is basically why we didn't get footage from Grosjean's camera at Spa because his camera wasn't active at that time.

What is disappointing is the cameras don't record to onboard storage when they aren't been used live. Is onboard storage small enough now that it could be added to the cameras without making much difference?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Every car has at least one onboard camera, but it depends on whether the camera is "active". Current technology is capable of transmitting footage from (I think) 6 cars at the same time. That is basically why we didn't get footage from Grosjean's camera at Spa because his camera wasn't active at that time.
There able to have 9 cameras live at a time now going by this image.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6521 ... 212018.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 am 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

StefMeister wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

Canada 2008 ! :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

Are you sure some of those screens aren't just cueing up a replay that happens to be from on-board?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well the Spa feature has onboards from Kobayashi, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher, Senna and Rosberg, so there's definitely seven of them active at that time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think all onboard camers are active, but the director will choose which one will he show. Or wich one FOM will put on the dvd. I think we never saw Kovalainens start in Spa 2011 until the review dvd came out.
@
phil
- does the dvd show Schumachers crashes from Germany and Hungary or it goes straight to race?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Straight to the race. I can't say about the Blu-ray, but on the DVD version there is absolutely no footage from practice or qualifying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:37 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

It has been going downhill ever since 2003 iirc with a lot less coverage from practice and qualy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

phil1993 wrote:
Well the Spa feature has onboards from Kobayashi, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher, Senna and Rosberg, so there's definitely seven of them active at that time.

Sky Interactive also had Button and Raikkonen onboard live at the start, which makes it 9.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:25 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
Straight to the race. I can't say about the Blu-ray, but on the DVD version there is absolutely no footage from practice or qualifying.

are their interview before and after the race highlights or is it only the race highlights?? And see you pictures of the podiumceremony??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great 2012 highlight video.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgdgtDEz048[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

:lol: :lol: shows how loud F1 cars are!

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the indepth review Phil.

I'll also add to the disappointment over the lack of practice, qualifying and interesting news topics between races.
In addition, I would've also liked for them to have included a segment on preseason testing and storylines.
As well as including tidbits from Drivers Thursday Press Conferences.

I mean it's 2012 so I don't think its too unreasonable to expect all that from a season review. Like you said, rather than a review, it sounds more like a highlights package put together :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

In many ways then the BBC review was a bit better than the official one then, in that it cost a lot less and it dared to include practice and qualifying incidents. Even mentioned the trouble in Bahrain too.
And it had snippits of Ben Edwards live commentary rather than narration :p

I expect Sky's team by team ones might have been even more better and in depth too but I didn't get to see them....

Twitter:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1257 258 259 260 261 Next