TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1203 204 205 206 207 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:
IceMan wrote:
I think this is the first time Channel 4 has covered motorsports heavily?

They've shown British F3 and GT in highlights packages (and maybe British Superbike), plus MotoGP and World Superbike. But to my knowledge this is the first prime time live motorsport they'll have shown.

ISTR they also did a decent job with WRC coverage in the early noughties?

An F1 journo on Twitter said the coverage will be produced by the same company who did the Paralympics coverage in the UK. If that's true, it should be in safe hands.

ROFL, OBS did that under sub-contract from the BBC and they were high critised for missing several key events and not even covering other competitions.

Unless of course they're talking about the studio production which was I think a C4 subsidiary, before FOM took over TV production form the host broadcasters I always laughed at seeing BBCOB trucks adorning the Silverstone paddock when F1 was on ITV, since the BBC was the host broadcaster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So this channel 4, how can us non-British folks see it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You can't because it's encryped on Satellite iirc, C4 bounce around transponders and occasionally leave them unlocked for a while, but iirc most if not all are encrypted. Toto will know for sure, it's been a long time since a Satellite has seen the light of day in this house.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:

They've shown British F3 and GT in highlights packages (and maybe British Superbike), plus MotoGP and World Superbike. But to my knowledge this is the first prime time live motorsport they'll have shown.

An F1 journo on Twitter said the coverage will be produced by the same company who did the Paralympics coverage in the UK. If that's true, it should be in safe hands.

ROFL, OBS did that under sub-contract from the BBC and they were high critised for missing several key events and not even covering other competitions.

Unless of course they're talking about the studio production which was I think a C4 subsidiary, before FOM took over TV production form the host broadcasters I always laughed at seeing BBCOB trucks adorning the Silverstone paddock when F1 was on ITV, since the BBC was the host broadcaster.

Are you thinking of their World Athletics Championship coverage in 2011? The first presenter got dropped for not knowing the athletes' names, and it was generally shit. Their Paralympics coverage, on the other hand, won four TV BAFTAs and probably more praise than the BBC coverage.

I think the lesson here is that the production company is key ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
You can't because it's encryped on Satellite iirc, C4 bounce around transponders and occasionally leave them unlocked for a while, but iirc most if not all are encrypted. Toto will know for sure, it's been a long time since a Satellite has seen the light of day in this house.

Channel 4 works out here in Germany, as long as you have a big enough dish. No encryption.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

Are you thinking of their World Athletics Championship coverage in 2011? The first presenter got dropped for not knowing the athletes' names, and it was generally shit. Their Paralympics coverage, on the other hand, won four TV BAFTAs and probably more praise than the BBC coverage.

I think the lesson here is that the production company is key ;)

Nope, the Paraolympics coverage was produced by Olympic Broadcast Services under contract to the BBC (the official broadcast partner, what F1 use do refeto as the host broadcaster),, Four then had their own production team producing the front line coverage (which is perhaps who this hack is referring to). It just makes me laugh when I see sweeping statements like that (not the one you made, but the journo).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Something i've seen been suggested is that Whisper Films could be involved in producing C4's coverage. Jake Humphrey & David Coulthard are co-founders/Directors of that company.
http://www.whisperfilms.co.uk/people

Channel 4 also fairly recently invested a minority stake in it:
http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... sper-films

They have done quite a few F1 related things:
https://vimeo.com/whisperfilms

Omega wrote:
So this channel 4, how can us non-British folks see it?

Ian-S wrote:

All the Channel 4 channels are unencrypted on satellite right now & have been all year from what i've seen (Channel 4/+1, E4, More 4, 4Seven & Film4), You can find a list of frequencies here:
http://en.kingofsat.net/pack-skydigital.php

The HD versions of E4, More4 & Film4 are encrypted but the main HD channel isn't.

There's also live feeds & catch-up stuff on there website, Which you have to sign upto & verify a UK address to watch:
http://www.channel4.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm a dumbarse, I was getting muddled between C4 and Five, which has always been encrypted on Satellite form some strange reason.

Getting a UK address from outside the UK lol just do a domain registration search on Channel 4 and use that one hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Nope, the Paraolympics coverage was produced by Olympic Broadcast Services under contract to the BBC (the official broadcast partner, what F1 use do refeto as the host broadcaster),, Four then had their own production team producing the front line coverage (which is perhaps who this hack is referring to). It just makes me laugh when I see sweeping statements like that (not the one you made, but the journo).

I was completely unaware of that, so including me in the sweeping statements category is fair :)

The BAFTA thing must've annoyed OBS then, as it suggests that C4's production team was considered better I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
I'm a dumbarse, I was getting muddled between C4 and Five, which has always been encrypted on Satellite form some strange reason.

Getting a UK address from outside the UK lol just do a domain registration search on Channel 4 and use that one hehe.

That still seems to be the case - we couldn't get C5 over here with a generic box, but (weirdly enough) it works fine with a card-less Sky box.

(I promise to quote someone else next, honest! :mrgreen:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:33 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Some awful, awful, terrible horrible news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... f-marriage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:58 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, honestly, I never saw this coming. Thought they were a nice couple.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nea wrote:

While this is an unfortunate outcome for Jenson (and Jessica) in what has been a terrible year for him already, I want to ask how the f**k BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat consider this to be an "Entertainment" article? By their logic then, in the "Most Popular" stories sidebar on the right handside, the one about Adele should be classed as "You What?".

Rant over. I hope 2016 is much better for Jenson.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:19 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

As long as there never will be as an annoying girlfriend/wife as Franchitti's wife, i don't particularly care...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

siggy wrote:
As long as there never will be as an annoying girlfriend/wife as Franchitti's wife, i don't particularly care...

Two words... Nicole Scherzinger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
maybe she'll will never comeback to Lewis because as you all know Senna wasn't married while racing in F1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:22 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Aww what a shame, they were a cute couple :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nea wrote:

Celebrity marriages...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm kinda surprised, because they were dating for like 5 years before they got married.. maybe that was her plan all along! :whistling:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:05 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm starting to get confused about which level of sarcasm we're on.

Either way, by the time Button has a new friend, he's probably whining how bad the Honda in the BTCC is....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1203 204 205 206 207 Next