TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

They did want to help overtaking I believe

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
JJ wrote:
The last chicane annoys me so much. If they allow Eau Rouge and Blanchimont, it shouldn't be a problem to run. And I don't care a bit about "making overtaking easier" when it means DRS passing.

The chicane wasn't put there to improve spectacle. It's there to reduce exit speeds out of the final corner, which has seen several similar huge crashes due to the proximity of the wall in front of the grandstand. Montermini is the obvious example, but other series have had the same problem.

when is the last time we had a big crash before that new turn in F1? Montermini is the only one that I can clearly remember. and that dates back to 1994 where we had many horrible crashes in that year. They should have left it the way it was for F1, and had this 'infield' thing then for other series / motorbikes.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
JJ wrote:
The last chicane annoys me so much. If they allow Eau Rouge and Blanchimont, it shouldn't be a problem to run. And I don't care a bit about "making overtaking easier" when it means DRS passing.

The chicane wasn't put there to improve spectacle. It's there to reduce exit speeds out of the final corner, which has seen several similar huge crashes due to the proximity of the wall in front of the grandstand. Montermini is the obvious example, but other series have had the same problem.

when is the last time we had a big crash before that new turn in F1? Montermini is the only one that I can clearly remember. and that dates back to 1994 where we had many horrible crashes in that year. They should have left it the way it was for F1, and had this 'infield' thing then for other series / motorbikes.

What was the year that Kimi had a crash just before the final turn in testing? That's the only example I can think of.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
JJ wrote:

1994 was also the year of knee-jerk reactions

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:08 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
aerogi wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

What was the year that Kimi had a crash just before the final turn in testing? That's the only example I can think of.

I can't remember Kimi's crash year, but with the exception of that, I can only remember one serious crash besides Montermini's one, the crash involving Haberfeld in 2000 F3000 season, which was much more due to drivers mistakes than the corner design. When it was changed it was said the cars were having too much aerodynamical dependence, but even though cars have changed and the DRS created, they didn't change the corner back (FIA...always FIA). That new final sector is horrible and makes a terrible track even worse, unfortunatelly!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It was 2005

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just put a row or two TecPro barrier there and voilá.
Luckily the corner still remains, so it's not like Hockenheim or Silverstone that cannot be easily fixed in the future when reason is reinstated once more.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
aerogi wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:

1994 was also the year of knee-jerk reactions

1994 was also not the year where the chicane we are discussing was introduced :slaphead:

I know that some of the track changes in '94 were utterly stupid, but calling the season where two drivers were killed and others injured due to easily-fixable problems throughout the sport a year of 'knee-jerk reactions' is oversimplifying things just a bit.

The knee-jerk reactions were partly due to the fact the sport had done almost nothing serious about safety for years. The 'no-one has died; it must be safe!' complacency that led to 1994 is the same as what cost Jules Bianchi his life.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
Luckily the corner still remains, so it's not like Hockenheim or Silverstone that cannot be easily fixed in the future when reason is reinstated once more.

I think the biggest problem with this specific corner is that the angle of the wall (which can't be changed too easily) tends to spit cars back towards the track. I don't know if Tecpro is much better at retaining cars rather than bouncing them as tyres would.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lucasjeha wrote:
When it was changed it was said the cars were having too much aerodynamical dependence, but even though cars have changed and the DRS created, they didn't change the corner back (FIA...always FIA)

A fair point up until 2017, when we ended up with massively aero-dependent cars again :(

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
It was 2005

Isn't this the penultimate corner? You can see the pit entry dotted line near the camera position.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
kals wrote:
It was 2005

Isn't this the penultimate corner? You can see the pit entry dotted line near the camera position.

Yes it is, the chicane was added at that point because of the lack of run off at those final two corners

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's too easy to make mistakes - Stroll

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perez taking to the old track

Kimi has an engine issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And he's gone to the end of pitlane for a practice start :o

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gravel and grass runoff <3

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

About the final corner: I remember several people going wide, hitting the gravel next to the curbstone, and losing control.

But, like some already suggested, I remember that officially the main reason was to help overtaking, by slowing down the last corner before the straight.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The good thing was that it was one of the very few tracks (and Monza) were cars were 'sling shot' onto the main straight. That was cool . Now they seems to enter the straight at 100 kph on all the other tracks...

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
JJ wrote:

to reinstate reason in Barcelona you must build a whole new track

or move to Portugal

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:39 pm 

gkmotorsport wrote:
The chicane wasn't put there to improve spectacle. It's there to reduce exit speeds out of the final corner, which has seen several similar huge crashes due to the proximity of the wall in front of the grandstand.

The official claim, back when it was introduced, was to improve overtaking. Safety was never really a concern there. They should've also kept the gravel on there to prevent what happened to Salom, idiots.

It was painful to see the speed trap info being displayed on mph too, what a blasphemy for F1 :yuk: That coped with the silly looking new numbers and driver's initials made F1 seem more Americanized, thanks for that Liberty Media :whistling:

Vettel on FP2 :slaphead:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next