TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1110 111 112 113 114207 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bigears wrote:
Gaara wrote:
No, South Africa was the finale at the end of December.

Edit: My bad, in '65 it was held on 1st Jan, then the next race was Monaco in May. That's just insane.

But then travelling wasn't easy at the time hence the big gap between the races?

I guess if the cars went by ship then yeaa.

But they did go by air cargo back then.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They probably were very happy to have a big motorsport championship going. That's just the way it was.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:05 pm 

Soul Reaver wrote:
I don't even bother reading, now enough time or patience, even less to make a decent response.

Nevermind time or patience for it, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to do it, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OH mer gauwd, I'm killing myself now.

Anyway, I meant NOT enough time. But I may do some just as an exercise. I just hate arguing. My life wont be more complete if I go against some people opinion. I have more things to do than 'trying to illuminate' another person. If I ever use that energy that I hate to do it, it's with my girlfriend witch means something to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
The Alabama GP had everything F1 lacks: fast good looking cars, good looking scenery, great track layout, okay sounds and hard fierce racing.

Fast good looking cars
No, seriously, those transformer looking cars aren't exactly the best view. They are better than before, but it's just as good as F1.

Good Looking scenery
I hate Barber, don't know why, but it's the race I less look forward to on the Indy calendar. Maybe because it's almost all grass. I have something almost as unemotional attachment with Mid-Ohio. Even though both are nice tracks with ups and downs. I may look different to Barber after this last weekend. And I did enjoyed a LOT of the NxS at Mid-Ohio that were sliding around and made all the corners a much bigger AND VISIBLE challenge with them slipping and sliding the rear.
Anyway, scenery? Monaco, Spa, Monza already puts all the Indy calendar to misery in my opinion. They are classy, beautiful, VERY unique, and historical. Melbourne is a gem. Malaysia, China, Bahrain all have unique looks. Suzuka with it's figure 8 and exoticness. Singapure, enough said. Sochi and Abu Dhabi even tough dull, have a unique charm. Montreal in an island. F1 still is very well served on visuals. It could be better, sure, but its not the end of the world. I'm surely missing some.

Indy has some uniqueness and variation with St Pete, Long Beach, Detroit. Indy and Long Beach are true great gems. But man, a lot of those tracks. I won't say what they are, but they aren't Laguna Seca, Road America, Surfers Paradise. F1 still has most of it's great tracks on the calendar.

great track layout? No, some yes, but the same with F1, some are still nice. Said a lot about it above.

Okay sounds. That's something, for sure.

hard fierce racing.
Only at Alabama. Otherwise is mostly lacking, as in St Pete, or a lol fest as in Nola. But this aero pack may prove to be really great for permanent road courses, really looking forward. But no drivers races harder than F1 drivers, at least they did. And if this is what you're after, go to Nascar on the last third of the race on each restart. Or to Wec. Because a lot of times the guys just couldn't get to each other in Indy, even if they tried.
Hard fierce racing? F1 2014 season had one of the hardest battles for the title ONTRACK. How many times Rosberg started first but was passed by Lewis on track. And other times like Montreal. Suzuka then, you may not have liked it. But that was one of the greatest overtakes of the decade. After a really really hard fight with both drivers pushing the abilities to drive a car on the edge beyond one could have ever imagined. It was a true gem of great epic motorsport battles. And a huge nice climax for an great race. And if there wasn't any DRS, it could be even harder and better, but already was better than anything Indy can trow at it. I remember Houston for Indy, full of lols and the anti-climax witch was Rahal crashing under caution before the restart. And then there was NOLA, the worst show of driving skills ever :yuk: . F1 drivers are really great all around the field and race hard at most part of the time. I agree that we could have less DRS help and more tyre management factor. BUT THERE'S NO HARDER AND FIERCER RACING THAN THE START OF AN F1 RACE.

After all that. F1 just can't be compared to Indy. Indy is mostly very unique cars, just a small development. While F1 is always an evolving monster, the fact that they still get to be close to each other is still amazing. But the differences in the cars, the money, the technology involved, THE HUMAN EFFORT spent to make each team go faster than the other is miles beyond Indy and probably second to none. And the drivers personalities and individual histories and egos are a novel on it's own. The same for the teams. The Same for the team leaders. The Same for the series management (Todt, Mosley, Eclestone x Brainfarth) Indy is shaping up to be a very good open wheel series with the new aero kit. But F1 is another complete 10x more evolved (except for DRS and tarmac run-offs and...) monster and cant really be compared. Just like saying motorsport is just another sport like any other. Is much more than that.

Okay, that was just one line, I can't go on. And still, I wrote it more on emotion than reason and withouth double-checking what I said, so there could be some absurd that myself will regret later. Like F1 is evolved 10x more than Indy but surely have some serious issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:09 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

This 2016 calendar has been posted on Racer.com

Quote:
April 3 - Australia (Albert Park)
April 10 - China (Shanghai)
April 24 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 1 - Russia (Sochi)
May 15 - Spain (Barcelona)
May 29 - Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 12 - Canada (Montreal)
June 26 - Britain (Silverstone)
July 3 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 17 - Europe (Baku)
July 31 - Germany (Hockenheim)
August 7 - Hungary (Hungaroring)
August 28 - Belgium (Spa)
September 4 - Italy (Monza)
September 18 - Singapore (Marina Bay)
September 25 - Malaysia (Sepang)
October 9 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 23 - USA (COTA)
October 30 - Mexico (Mexico City)
November 13 - Brazil (Interlagos)
November 27 - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:27 am 

I heard about it on a wec thread as this has implications with Le Mans(apparently the Test Day would clash with the Canadian GP, or whatever), but it was mentioned there that this is just provisional. Iono

Soul Reaver wrote:
I just hate arguing. My life wont be more complete if I go against some people opinion. I have more things to do than 'trying to illuminate' another person. If I ever use that energy that I hate to do it, it's with my girlfriend witch means something to do it.

fair point :thumbsup:

I took a quick look at the other longer post and we agree/disagree here and there but, in the end of the day, it just opinions. I'm sorry I trolled the thread with it. Now I don't even remember what got me started on it and had promised myself I wouldn't keep saying the same negative opinions, I have, about F1. :slaphead:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd also like to see something different with DRS. I agree with the idea of it being used on shorter straights.

Another option that I like is to let everyone have one use of DRS every lap, or a certain number of times in a race (to be used anywhere on the circuit). That way it gives a car on old tyres a chance to use DRS as a defence. I know you might get two cars using it at the same time and cancelling each other out, but that's where you have to try and be tactical. Force the driver ahead to use theirs and then you can use yours further around the lap and catch them by surprise. It might not work, but in my head it sounded interesting. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:36 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Something like SLF did: 1 shot of power/DRS per lap, you can use it where you want. The guy defending can use it on straight 1 or try to keep it for the longer straight 2.

Now DRS is just stupid, the guy in 2nd place is just given a free pass where you can't defend from.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:08 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

One can never make everyone happy. First it was boring because there was no passing at all, now it's boring because passing is easy :slaphead:

I don't mind it being too easy or anything like that since if someone's got a superior package he will still drive away into the distance and out of DRS reach. Plus we've had a significant drop in blocking attempts and subsequent collisions with the driver in front slamming the door firm. Most of the DRS era collisions are the product of the following driver getting too optimistic and making the error of judgement which is much easier to call for the stewards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Rumors on Twitter: Bottas to Ferrari, Kimi to Haas and Wehrlein to Williams.
Utter bullshit imo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would think it would be Bottas to Haas in the interim before taking Kimi's slot the following season if any of that could be believed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
more like Rosberg becoming the new Ralf Schumacher and Bottas in Mercedes to be a new Kimi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:59 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

What's the verdict on Bottas? I have to admit, I've never been too impressed by him and I get the feeling that he is a little bit over-hyped. Yes, he's shown a few great races and last year's Williams also helped to put him in the limelight, but I'm coming up blank when I think about accomplishments that would grant a Ferrari seat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Listen up everyone... Artur Craft is right. End of discussion. End of thread.

FFS :roll:

Quite. We can't *measure* which cars are faster (by any means that satisfies Artur), so clearly IndyCar is faster. And therefore better because P2P and passing-by-deliberate-aero are less artificial than DRS and Pirelli doing as they are told.

Can we close the thread now?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regarding the calendar - Jon Noble has suggested that it is being used as a bargaining chip by Bernie, to put pressure on Monza and the German venues. The thinking is that, by announcing it this far ahead, he allows more time for 'negotiations'.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Australian race in April?

Well the last time that happened was IIRC 2006 and, well, we all know how that race turned out...

LETS DO IT! :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:14 am 

Russia moving to the early part of the year might mean it could get a WEC race next year - there were rumors of it

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:26 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

would be nice to have the Moscow raceway added to the schedule as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Australian race in April?

Well the last time that happened was IIRC 2006 and, well, we all know how that race turned out...

LETS DO IT! :whistling:

My thoughts as well. Melbourne in April? At least they sound smart enough to move the time forward

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1110 111 112 113 114207 Next