TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11141 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:42 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The only reason Bernie did anything because for some screwed up reason he got the commercial rights for a bloody ridiculous length of time. He has payed of bribery charges (oh, the irony) and didn't care for smaller teams ("F1 doesn't need them"). Sure, he made F1 bigger, but F1 was headed there anyway. Like Trump, being a real estate mogul is probably the easiest way to get richer. But either way, since the mid nineties, Bernie has become more of a hinderence to F1 then an asset. More teams have left then came in. Now that is a very healthy sign.....

I hope they come with some live streaming packages in different resolutions quick. I'm tired of these crappy streams and I don't want a TV with subscription just to watch F1 and only F1.

Good riddance. Hopefully they can attract a bigger field in the coming years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:46 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I hope the new management can get some of these money races off the calendar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm hopeful. It honestly seems for the first time ever they're attempting to deal with the bigger problems.

During Bernie's regime I sensed a struggle that they didn't even want to fix the big problems and thus always came up with some half-assed "improvements" like the qualifying format last year, which only caused more problems. All those issues raised by Carey are damn complex ones and it will take some serious negotiation and planning to sort them out. But if they succeed, I think F1 will be more healthy than it has ever been.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
i don't know whether this is such a good thing.

Maybe some people think F1 won't be about generating profit when Bernie's gone.

I think it might become even worse.

It could be the best thing in a long while or the worst that could happen to F1.
Hard to tel which way it will go.
A fresh wind might be a good thing. Sure the new owners want their investment back but the question is how.
Having 2 big tv stations paying $50 million each is nice but if they only cater 250 million viewers you maybe rather want 100 stations paying $1 million who cater 400 million viewers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:07 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

f1 has lost all the interest on me and i don't know if it's me or formula 1, i may have watched 3 races this year. People getting old change, so it could easily be me.
but i don't know, it looks like f1 nowdays is something that can have appeal only on wannabe engineers.
the sporting side of it is almost completely gone, rules change every year always in a more complicated, unnatural and senseless way instead of being simpler and have a reason. If there's a simple linear solution and a complicaed, cerebral way to solve a problem they pick the second one and most of all they miss and the problem is still there.
the historical ties with its glorious past are gone too. Today they prefer to go to race in a damn desert in the middle of nowhere instead of Spa Franchorchamps because they can squeeze more money that way.
Drivers are all spoiled kids. It used to be a sport for men. You reached f1 in your late twenties, today a 20 years old may be considered "too old to debut" therefore they act all like kids, just listen to the radios, "he was less than 10cm near my car, he should be banned for life, call Charlie immediately"
Schumacher is where i draw the line. maybe Alonso. Todays drivers are fast as hell, Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, you can't deny they know how to drive a car. But i find them so annoying. And probably if they just let them race and f1 was different they would be more interesting, you've seen Vettel or Hamilton not being shy of playing hard when needed. Only problem they suddenly turned into crybabies when thing don't go their ways, that again is probably the kids vs men thing.

wich in the end is strange, in the end f1 in the 80s or 90s wasn't actually less boring, you may have had a 2 hours procession with just a couple of overtakes, only few cameras around the tracks, cars falling apart all the times. But it had a soul i can't see in today f1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Bernie is the man that have $$ in his eyes and also put $$ in team owners eyes either

I guess the only motorsports discipline he didn't set up intervention to bar a competition against F1 was Group B rallying that was halted by outrageous danger

other series like touring cars, group c endurace racing and american open wheel had their popularity disrupted in favor of F1 racing, while FIA strangled competition with rules to cut costs that killed competition instead of cutting costs

Liberty Media should look for profits, that's why they are there, but in a way to keep the business sustainable for teams and less dependant on pay drivers and suspicious backers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:01 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

cambridge wrote:
f1 has lost all the interest on me and i don't know if it's me or formula 1, i may have watched 3 races this year. People getting old change, so it could easily be me.
but i don't know, it looks like f1 nowdays is something that can have appeal only on wannabe engineers.
the sporting side of it is almost completely gone, rules change every year always in a more complicated, unnatural and senseless way instead of being simpler and have a reason. If there's a simple linear solution and a complicaed, cerebral way to solve a problem they pick the second one and most of all they miss and the problem is still there.
the historical ties with its glorious past are gone too. Today they prefer to go to race in a damn desert in the middle of nowhere instead of Spa Franchorchamps because they can squeeze more money that way.
Drivers are all spoiled kids. It used to be a sport for men. You reached f1 in your late twenties, today a 20 years old may be considered "too old to debut" therefore they act all like kids, just listen to the radios, "he was less than 10cm near my car, he should be banned for life, call Charlie immediately"
Schumacher is where i draw the line. maybe Alonso. Todays drivers are fast as hell, Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, you can't deny they know how to drive a car. But i find them so annoying. And probably if they just let them race and f1 was different they would be more interesting, you've seen Vettel or Hamilton not being shy of playing hard when needed. Only problem they suddenly turned into crybabies when thing don't go their ways, that again is probably the kids vs men thing.

wich in the end is strange, in the end f1 in the 80s or 90s wasn't actually less boring, you may have had a 2 hours procession with just a couple of overtakes, only few cameras around the tracks, cars falling apart all the times. But it had a soul i can't see in today f1.

I think the crybaby and moaning-part is related to the tendency of the stewards to penalize a driver. We all know that drivers get penalized easier these days so if a driver complains then he might even get his way. Just like in football where the players are constantly asking the referee for a card whenever the opposite team made a foul. If the FIA/stewards stop with giving so many penalties then perhaps the crybaby and moaning-part will eventually disappear. We also have to keep in mind that the radio-messages from the drivers of the past weren't so public as they are nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:08 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

There's a bit more on Chase Carey's vision here: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35648.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
I think the crybaby and moaning-part is related to the tendency of the stewards to penalize a driver. We all know that drivers get penalized easier these days so if a driver complains then he might even get his way. Just like in football where the players are constantly asking the referee for a card whenever the opposite team made a foul. If the FIA/stewards stop with giving so many penalties then perhaps the crybaby and moaning-part will eventually disappear. We also have to keep in mind that the radio-messages from the drivers of the past weren't so public as they are nowadays.

so they should do it like in football, giving penalties for the drivers who complain too much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:33 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Would be nice but the difference is that a driver communicates directly to his engineer and not to a steward. And the FOM decides which radio messages get broadcasted, we don't get the full picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would still go through with the penalties to see if drivers are dumb like the players who complain every single time even knowing the ref wouldn't go back in their calls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can't remember the last good thing Bernie did for F1. He has been talking rubbish for years putting out crazy ideas,, this new management can't be worse than that if they have a clear plan for the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Possibly of interest to some of you - the FIA will instruct stewards to penalise far less regularly this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-for-2017

---------------------

Liberty seem to have some nice ideas.

I wonder how many of them will survive after reality gets in the way.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The biggest challenge Liberty will face is reconstructing the agreements in place with the teams around prize money and governance of technical and sporting regulations. But baby steps and all that. Reading Carey's principles on protecting the historic races and the heart of the calendar being in Europe makes me feel confident.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

First they should work on accessibility.

If you want new fans you have to reach them. Behind a paywall will not solve that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
First they should work on accessibility.
If you want new fans you have to reach them. Behind a paywall will not solve that problem.

Tell me about it. In 2012 MTV F1 stream cost 45€ for a season. Now they demand 300€ for it + you get golf, crappy movies, children shows and whatnot that I couldn't care less about. And for 300€ you would expect to have something like Sky Sports. Nope. Our TV-team consists of 4 guys and the commentators won't even travel to the races. And it's not even real HD. Not buying that :slaphead:

RtN wrote:
Possibly of interest to some of you - the FIA will instruct stewards to penalise far less regularly this year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-for-2017

How does that differ from last year's news, I'm not sure.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ch ... ng-668816/

Just learn what they did in the late 90's. So what If Coulthard and Schumi or Takagi and Tuero collided? The more there is fighting, the more there is drama, and vice versa.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
We only have one race in every country and we should make these week-long extravaganzas, with entertainment and music and events that capture the whole city, not just events at the track. That is an opportunity for us over time to grow that dimension of the business

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/185 ... ation-city

I lived in Shanghai. and there was absolutely NO promotion AT ALL. There wasn't even posters, no ads on TV or any kind of visible promotion to people that didn't already know that the race was on. The race was almost non existent.

I've always believed that F1 should be THE event of the year in the country that it is racing in. I remember the early years of the race at Albert Park, there were demonstrations, posters, adverts, news snippets all about the race. The build up was a couple of months long. It was like that for the first 2-3 years. I was super excited every time I went into the city and saw the build up of the race. Hell, they even sold the event program in a news agencies across the state. I lived 200km away in a small town and my shitty local news agency had them!

This is what F1 should be like again. So I am heartened to hear that's kind of what they want to do again....but, lets see if they can deliver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:28 am 

If Shanghai was bad, imagine what Baku, Bahrain and Sochi are like!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

[tweet]https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/824522137675431936[/tweet]

lol. what a douche

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

well if Bernie take those turbo engines and the races at the tilkedromes things could get better

or not as splits kill motorsports

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11141 Next