TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Maldonado vs Hamilton incident, Who was at Fault?
Hamilton 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
Maldonado 31%  31%  [ 28 ]
50/50 - Racing incident, they're both Big boys! 44%  44%  [ 39 ]
Total votes: 89
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Dan Belcher wrote:
It's interesting to me how the international view of a move like this seems to be "it's okay for Hamilton to shove Maldonado off the racetrack since it's the overtaking car's responsibility to make the move cleanly." However, that type of move doesn't happen much in American racing -- we seem to have more of the mentality that if the guy is there, don't risk taking both of you out. Give him some extra room and let him stay on the racetrack even if you lose the spot. You're much less likely to have one or both of you wrecked that way. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

American racing is rooted in the traditions of ovals though, which come with higher speeds and greater consequences of accidents, so obviously they're a lot stricter about what you can and can't do on track.
(The unpopular "no blocking" rule came from this too and their unwillingness to have different rules for ovals and road courses)

I'm not overly happy with what Lewis did, its a tactic I'm more used to seeing in the BTCC than F1 but baring in mind it was halfway though the penultimate lap, for better or worse I kind of have a NASCAR "coming to the line" mentality of action late in the race compared to earlier on.

And we can see Lewis did a bit too, he didn't fight nearly as hard with Grosjean when he did the same move on him on lap 10 because it was early in the race and for all he knew the race would still come to him later.

The penultimate and last laps, all bets are off, tyre condition or not you're going to do everything possible to defend your position in the dying embers of the race.

The fact of the matter as I see it is, what Lewis did was harsh but it didn't cause the crash, what should've happened was Maldanado took to the runoff and tried again at the next opportunity.
Maldanado's stubbornness, trying to overtake someone with all 4 wheels of the track (which would've been an illegal move, Button 2011 Melbourne style if he had pulled it off) was what caused the accident, not knowing when the corner wasn't his and when to back down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
It's interesting to me how the international view of a move like this seems to be "it's okay for Hamilton to shove Maldonado off the racetrack since it's the overtaking car's responsibility to make the move cleanly." However, that type of move doesn't happen much in American racing -- we seem to have more of the mentality that if the guy is there, don't risk taking both of you out. Give him some extra room and let him stay on the racetrack even if you lose the spot. You're much less likely to have one or both of you wrecked that way. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

I think there's less option to run people off the road on most US tracks - clearly on an oval its unacceptable, and most of the street tracks and permanent tracks have a lot less tarmac run off compared to the F1 circuits.

Ospi wrote:
This is F1, why should a driver have to be more cautious and weary around another driver, this isn't Formula Ford, you would expect the drivers to be world class in their ability to fight tooth and nail without clumbsily crashing into eachother like Maldonado did to Hamilton.

Or like Hamilton did to Maldonado at Monaco last year?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan Belcher wrote:

Yes that's right, mostly from oval racing tradition.

The first time I ever raced an oval (in an online NR2003 race), I slammed the door shut on someone on a speedway because he only had his nose on the inside, crashing both of us out obviously. I had expected him to stay back as long as he wasn't fully along, which felt pretty natural to me. :lol:

I've seen countless door slamming in CART street/road races, but then again most of them were international drivers :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's Maldonando fault for mine. he's clearly on the racing line, he really doesn't need to push Hamilton on the wall. he's crushed both races: a podium for Williams and 4th or 5th place finish for McLaren was broken.

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote