TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15207 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 am 

amq55 wrote:
Mick Schumacher tested a Formula 4 today at Valencia for Mucke Motorsports, but should stay in karting next season.

Would be nice to see Ferrari pick him up & give him a place in their young driver academy in a few years time...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WilliamsF1 wrote:
amq55 wrote:
Mick Schumacher tested a Formula 4 today at Valencia for Mucke Motorsports, but should stay in karting next season.

Would be nice to see Ferrari pick him up & give him a place in their young driver academy in a few years time...

Honestly you don't wanna be associated with Ferrari at the moment, with the mess it currently is. It would be just like Magnussen and Mclaren, career destroyed before it even begun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
for him is better to stay out of F1 business, pressure will be great everybody will be looking at the boy and even with talent he could lose more

he's doing fine, starting slowly, with support and still learning

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't see how spending a year as test and reserve driver is going to destroy Magnussen's career. Worked fine for Hakkinen, Alonso, Massa and Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Scotty wrote:
kals wrote:
I don't see how spending a year as test and reserve driver is going to destroy Magnussen's career. Worked fine for Hakkinen, Alonso, Massa and Hulkenberg.

Alonso probably had what 10?

At least. As did Hakkinen, as did Felipe.

Hulkenberg only got back into a race seat because the contract he signed with Force India after leaving Williams guaranteed him one after a year of sitting in the garage trying to look interested. There has been nothing to indicate the same luxury has been afforded to Magnussen.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But what has been indicated that McLaren have destroyed Magnussen's career? It would be daft not to think that Magnussen came away with zero from his current situation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 am 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

Is it worth mentioning Bottas here. Moved from gp3 to be a reserve driver for Williams. Something I thought was a mistake.
Maybe it's a exception,but it's worth considering , you can spend time as a reserve driver and make it back to f1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
But what has been indicated that McLaren have destroyed Magnussen's career? It would be daft not to think that Magnussen came away with zero from his current situation.

Agree with this.

And why do people relate McLaren to 'destroying careers'? They did the best they could for Magnussen, in the current situation. They didn't handle last year with Perez very well but on the other hand there was Whitmarsh who made quite an effort to get him back at Force India. Next is Paffett who would never get a McLaren F1 seat anyway, and he knew it. Perhaps I'm forgetting someone but I can't think of any driver who got his career destroyed by McLaren.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

not as much about 'destroying' but rather, enjoying the preferential Ron treatment, effectively meaning second best in the team.
That's a situation no one enjoys.

We had it with Mika and DC, to a lesser extent Raikkonen and Montoya, and dare I say, Senna and Prost.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:23 pm 

kals wrote:

It's possible that he could get some Friday practice sessions during certain gps?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:28 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Hakkinen elected to take the testing role with McLaren in '93 over a race seat somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:32 pm 

mclaren2008 wrote:
Hakkinen elected to take the testing role with McLaren in '93 over a race seat somewhere else.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not how I see it.

Hakkinen was signed to race in 1993, only to be sidelined by Senna who elected to drive on a race-by-race contract until Magny-Cours.
It must have been awful for Mika.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:50 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

WilliamsF1 wrote:
It's possible that he could get some Friday practice sessions during certain gps?
I don't see it as a chance because if they want to develop their engines with the new project the information that gives a young guy is less considered than the one that Jenson or Fernando could give.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lurking of reddit and found this... had to share...

Quote:
What new technology has Bernie liked? (self.formula1)

geplaatst op 17 hours ago door jgronline

He didn't like KERS when it was introduced. "It should never have been introduced. It's an expensive secret because nobody knows anything about it. The public don't know and don't care." Link

He didn't like the double diffuser or maybe just high downforce. "Make the front wing smaller and get rid of the double diffuser" Link

He doesn't like DRS. "To me this system looks pretty dangerous. What if the wings are not up again before the corner and the driver is lacking downforce? That could easily lead to incidents. We have to observe it carefully." Link

He hates the V6 engine because of the sound and wants to go back to the V8. (no link required!)

He doesn't like crowd funding, streaming races, 18" wheels, closed cockpit, and probably countless other new ideas. So what new technology has been introduced into F1 in which Bernie actually liked it? If this is a sport about pushing the technological limits of racing, then why is he so against change?

and then someone replied with

Quote:
[–]Arrowswaluigithewalrus 28 punten 16 hours ago

Well, I know he liked attaching a fan to the back of a car until all the other teams got pissed off at him for doing it.

I chuckled....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:

Well Button has a 2 year contract, so it won't be just 1 year of testing. If it was just 1 year, it might be beneficial. 2 years without racing will get you out of the picture for sure. And with the other young drivers maturing slowly he has to really impress during those years to get back in Mclarens sight. If he doesn't get a seat withing 1 year he really needs to leave the team (and take those rumored Danish investors) and look for other options.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes but who's to say Magnussen doesn't have a clause in his contract that means that when Honda supplies a second team, he's farmed out by McLaren or that he'll replace Button should he underperform against Alonso. It seems positive assumption isn't allowed. It's either lambast McLaren and say Magnussen's career is over, or nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks more to me he chose to stay at Mclaren because there where no other options left because of the late decision. But that is just speculating, hope he gets a chance soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Again, if Magnussen wants to stay sharp, he has plenty of opportunity to and can improve his standing within the Honda hierarchy by racing their cars across the world. He just has to be willing to work for that opportunity. I'm sure the JAF would love to have him in Super Formula and Super GT. He'd be a fantastic yardstick in Super Formula. He'd get plenty of development work in Super GT. Maybe it isn't completely relevant, but it would have to have more value than sitting in a simulator all year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was reading on Autosport last week that Kevin's biggest problem area this year was the tyres, He struggled to figure them out & found it difficult to understand how to manage them throughout a race distance without the team giving him additional advice (The radio clamp down towards the end of the year made this a bigger issue).

With the whole philosophy regarding tyres in F1 been so different to anything else with the tyres designed to suffer degredation, Racing in another category & sitting on the sidelines doing Sim-work & the odd day on test/demo tyres he's not going to be getting the mileage he needs to work specifically on figuring out how to better use the tyres.

I think this is where the loss of the smaller teams will hurt drivers. If Caterham, Marussia & even HRT were still around then Mclaren could perhaps pay to get Magnussen a seat in one of those teams & Kevin would be in the car through next year continuing to learn & improve where needed ready to get the call back in 2 years time if thats the direction Mclaren opt to go.

There's not really anywhere for young drivers to come in & learn out of the spotlight anymore. Your either thrown in at the deep end in a top team or thrown into the super competitive mid-field where your expected to be on it from day 1 & upto speed on day 2. If your not standing out or standing out for the wrong reasons then your gone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:20 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Can I be a spelling nazi? Use "you're" please when you mean "you are".

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15207 Next