TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1119 Next
 Post subject: Re: W Series Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
So Jamie Chadwick and the rest of the top 12 are seemingly coming back for a second season

Without wanting to sound dismissive and flippant...that's not exactly the sort of springboard towards F1 they were hoping for, is it? I'm not sure they wanted to create a series with the same 12 drivers coming back year after year. I guess a career's a career so if it's working for them, fair play. But it's not what it was meant to be

Good, why does F1 need to be the ultimate goal? I am surprised nobody is interested in being the best F2 or F3 driver of all time for instance. Just stay there and get as many championships as possible. I would do something like that if I realized I wasn't getting an F1 seat. Now they become champion in F2 and then if they don't go to F1 they end up in DTM or GT cars, not exactly the single seater carreer they were aiming for. So I'm glad W Series doesn't dump their champion. It adds prestige to have a reigning champion in the field, something we never see in F2 or F3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There could well be some drivers who would choose to defend their title in F2 and F3 if they weren't automatically banned after winning the title - the point of a ladder is to climb onto the next step.

If the people behind W Series have changed their mind on being part of the ladder and instead want to see themselves as a final destination, then that's their prerogative, but considering that the cars are basically F4 vehicles with slightly more grunt they can't be surprised if\when more talented ladies bypass the series entirely in pursuit of F1.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
If the people behind W Series have changed their mind on being part of the ladder and instead want to see themselves as a final destination, then that's their prerogative, but considering that the cars are basically F4 vehicles with slightly more grunt they can't be surprised if\when more talented ladies bypass the series entirely in pursuit of F1.

You mean like some have done already? lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Fuck it, give them faster cars and be a proper rival to F1

Fuck getting them on the F1 ladder, become your own thing, Formula W

Join forces with FE and have a top-tier electric series years before F1!

Formula EW :flag:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
James B wrote:
So Jamie Chadwick and the rest of the top 12 are seemingly coming back for a second season

Without wanting to sound dismissive and flippant...that's not exactly the sort of springboard towards F1 they were hoping for, is it? I'm not sure they wanted to create a series with the same 12 drivers coming back year after year. I guess a career's a career so if it's working for them, fair play. But it's not what it was meant to be

Good, why does F1 need to be the ultimate goal? I am surprised nobody is interested in being the best F2 or F3 driver of all time for instance. Just stay there and get as many championships as possible. I would do something like that if I realized I wasn't getting an F1 seat. Now they become champion in F2 and then if they don't go to F1 they end up in DTM or GT cars, not exactly the single seater carreer they were aiming for. So I'm glad W Series doesn't dump their champion. It adds prestige to have a reigning champion in the field, something we never see in F2 or F3

What? Was this seriously written or did i miss something?

F3 and F2 are junior series with the rules in place (champion booted automatically, was there also an age limit or max years of participation?) they are going to remain as junior series. Even without those rules in place, it would make little sense stay in F2 limbo forever if you can move to other categories especially under paid driver contracts.

I agree with James B's original point, I'm not sure any of them wanted to do another W season, instead they would have preferred to get an opportunity somewhere else. Altough not sure where did this "springboard to F1" come from - considering the age of some of these W drivers for sure they can't be anymore seriously thinking about F1. Europe/world is full of national and regional F3 series with higher quality of drivers where the average age is below 20, not over 20.

Last edited by deggis on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
the cars are basically F4 vehicles with slightly more grunt

I guess you can use that description of an Formula 3 homologated car :roll:

I guess it is confusing because it is the new Halo-chassis from Tatuus so it does not look like the classic Tatuus/Dallara ones still used in many other series.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

deggis wrote:
cookie wrote:
James B wrote:

What? Was this seriously written or did i miss something?

F3 and F2 are junior series with the rules in place (champion booted automatically, was there also an age limit or max years of participation?) they are going to remain as junior series. Even without those rules in place, it would make little sense stay in F2 limbo forever if you can move to other categories especially under paid driver contracts.

I agree with James B's original point, I'm not sure any of them wanted to do another W season, instead they would have preferred to get an opportunity somewhere else. Altough not sure where did this "springboard to F1" come from - considering the age of some of these W drivers for sure they can't be anymore seriously thinking about F1. Europe/world is full of national and regional F3 series with higher quality of drivers where the average age is below 20, not over 20.

Why is it normal in MotoGP? champions often stay in Moto2 and have a real career in the feeder category. Single seater racing should get rid of the idea that only F1 matters, F2 is only slightly slower.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
Why is it normal in MotoGP? champions often stay in Moto2 and have a real career in the feeder category. Single seater racing should get rid of the idea that only F1 matters, F2 is only slightly slower.

Probably because there aren't many other international high-profile motorcycle series unlike in car racing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a total non-issue. In many forms of motorsport drivers / riders stay in the same series year on year, each person has their own reason. FW is offering good payouts for Champion and Vice-Champion so why wouldn't you want to stay?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

As interesting as the debate around the champion's right to defend the title has been, the FIA have now ended it.

http://www.formulascout.com/fia-rules-t ... ding-title

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like they ended it themselves since they went and got the license.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's just hope the champion can get an opportunity up the ladder, instead of just fading into obscurity after a title winning campaign.

I agree with the "making a career in lower series" kind of deal. But obviously if someone can make a living out of it, instead of wearing out their F1 dreams and pockets for years.

I like what use to happen in NASCAR. Some are clearly doing "the ladder" from regional series through Trucks/Busch to get to Cup, while other make a career in Trucks or xFinity for years.

Would you give up a mid-front pack ride in a lower series, for a backmarker ride in the top step, while you can still earn a living out of the lower series?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

W Series supporting F1 at US and Mexico GPs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

2020 season has been cancelled.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

2021 calendar looks interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

IMO W Series should be supporting as many series as possible and not concentrate around one series.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:08 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Powell on pole.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F* bein sports showing commercials when they were doing 3wide into T3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stream?

EDIT: Oh, I guess the race is over already.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting real dicey now

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1119 Next